BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
Andrewob
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Wrong spec revieved!!

I finally get an e mail saying my X3 is in the UK and can be delivered next week.......The email then goes on to say that the spec changes I made in January- removing towbar, adding xenons and storage pack have not been amended, so the car they have got for me still has the towbar, no xenons or storage pack!!!

Has anyone else has this issue? In the email they say I can reorder but that will mean another wait of 20 weeks! I can't wait that long after already waiting 7 months. And I feel reluctant to take the car given the spec is not what I ordered.

Any advice as I am just furious?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

I feel your pain!

Cant they retro fit xenons? Surely its just a swap? Keep towbar as a gesture and sack off storage pack

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

See if you can reorder, as it's their mistake keep the X3 that's here until the correct spected car arrives ?
Alpine White, Black Leather, HUD, Auto, Pro media, Visibility, Climate Comfort,Storage, Cold weather Packs, Pro Loudspeaker system, Sun Protection Glass, Electric Adjust Front Seats, Reversing Camera with Top View, 19" 309's,Variable Damper Control,Variable sport steering, Sports Seats, Sports Steering Wheel. Re-ordered 27/7/11, Arrived 28/9/11
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewob View Post
I finally get an e mail saying my X3 is in the UK and can be delivered next week.......The email then goes on to say that the spec changes I made in January- removing towbar, adding xenons and storage pack have not been amended, so the car they have got for me still has the towbar, no xenons or storage pack!!!

Has anyone else has this issue? In the email they say I can reorder but that will mean another wait of 20 weeks! I can't wait that long after already waiting 7 months. And I feel reluctant to take the car given the spec is not what I ordered.

Any advice as I am just furious?
Have you got written confirmation of the order with the changes? My dealer kept reading my option changes back to me and I then emailed him the updated list each time to confirm as they seem reluctant to have it in writing.

If you can retrofit the xenons, maybe's it's worth keeping. Surely a loaner of some description has to be offered to you if you have to wait 20 weeks?

BTW, I would be livid if this happened to me

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

I have made three spec changes and still 4 months to go (thinking of another change too) The point is, everytime I made a change the stealer sends me a new spec order form I print, sign, scan and return. Then they send me a confirmation screen shot.

Dont you have such paperwork to fall back on?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank531 View Post
I have made three spec changes and still 4 months to go (thinking of another change too) The point is, everytime I made a change the stealer sends me a new spec order form I print, sign, scan and return. Then they send me a confirmation screen shot.

Dont you have such paperwork to fall back on?
Print, sign and scan? What wizardry is this?! You have the dealer I wanted but didn't get

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Print, sign and scan? What wizardry is this?! You have the dealer I wanted but didn't get
Mine was a print, sign and scan dealer after 5 phone calls and 20 emails chasing replies to my several order updates

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #8
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

sfax - you should quit your CTO consultancy for BMW and become a dealer princilple for a new stealer all us members can invest in. With all our input I think we could improve service and product knowledge to like minded customers. Say £30K each x 100 members, might be enough to rent a shed and setup
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #9
Andrewob
Private
Rep

Yes when I changed the spec, the new spec was confirmed I'm writing, they said that somewhere along the line BMW had not acted on the change.

I have not spoken to them yet but I am hoping that they can add xenon at dealers, does anyone know if these are dealer fit possible?

I am just livid that after waiting all this time and spending all this money to get the exact car and spec I want -- it's wong!!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank531 View Post
sfax - you should quit your CTO consultancy for BMW and become a dealer princilple for a new stealer all us members can invest in. With all our input I think we could improve service and product knowledge to like minded customers. Say £30K each x 100 members, might be enough to rent a shed and setup
I could undercut the stealers, offer full online tracking, production videos, webcams on the ships and ports, home delivery, and actually find out correct answers to questions on XBimmers rather than just guessing and it getting it all woefully wrong. Any takers?!

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #11
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Yes when I changed the spec, the new spec was confirmed I'm writing, they said that somewhere along the line BMW had not acted on the change.

I have not spoken to them yet but I am hoping that they can add xenon at dealers, does anyone know if these are dealer fit possible?

I am just livid that after waiting all this time and spending all this money to get the exact car and spec I want -- it's wong!!
My X3 came in incorrectly as well do to dealer error. They ordered me another one (which is taking 8-9 weeks) and gave me the one that is incorrect as a loaner to drive until the new one arrives. I suggest that is what you ask from them as well. If you have the paperwork that proves your end is right, they need to remedy the situation. Keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #12
Andrewob
Private
Rep

A loaner while proper spec being built would be perfect. That is such good news, I really do hope they can sort this out. Fingers crossed!!!

Will keep you all informed
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 10:44 PM   #13
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

The xenons & storage pack can be retrofitted, but whether BMWUK will allow the dealer to do the work is another matter. So far, they have not made a xenon retrofit kit available for the X3 yet, but that may come as time goes by (I already see retrofit kits for performance control & even servotronic being available during the past months).
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #14
Andrewob
Private
Rep

I have been informed by dealer that they can't retro fit xenons due to wiring loom, could be true(?) and aftermarket kits seem more work than they are worth.

So they say I can take the car as is, possible small discount, perhaps not paying for the towbar which was supposed to be removed from my order anyway. Or reorder but this will probably mean paying the extra 2.5% VAT, about £900! And waiting 6 months! Bugger

If I take the car, whenever I see xenons on another BMW or see the lack of reflection of corona I'll kick myself. Having had 5 series with xenons I know they look cool!!

I haven't got onto the extended storage pack not being fitted, which i planned on using to secure my bike inside the car.

If I take the car, I wonder if when I'm driving it I will think it's not quite what I ordered...... And I spent a shed load of cash on it..

Screwed either way really
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #15
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

My 2 cents:
Re order and make them pay the additional VAT. If you avoided this additional under the current car's delivery timeline, it's their fault. Not having the Xenons is huge. They royally screwed up I would not do a dealer retrofit no matter what.
If you were doing a trade, keep your car but maintain the original trade in value you agreed to.
If you have no transportation because of their mistake they should give you a loaner and it better be very good if not another F25.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #16
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I have been informed by dealer that they can't retro fit xenons due to wiring loom, could be true(?) and aftermarket kits seem more work than they are worth.

So they say I can take the car as is, possible small discount, perhaps not paying for the towbar which was supposed to be removed from my order anyway. Or reorder but this will probably mean paying the extra 2.5% VAT, about £900! And waiting 6 months! Bugger

If I take the car, whenever I see xenons on another BMW or see the lack of reflection of corona I'll kick myself. Having had 5 series with xenons I know they look cool!!

I haven't got onto the extended storage pack not being fitted, which i planned on using to secure my bike inside the car.

If I take the car, I wonder if when I'm driving it I will think it's not quite what I ordered...... And I spent a shed load of cash on it..

Screwed either way really
If you can manage without it for 6 months, wait and get the xenons. Always first on my options list but easy for me to say not being faced with your predicament.

Say you can't possibly have the car without them and that they have to honour the initial price quoted without the extra 2.5%. Even if they refuse, they might meet you half way. You ought to get some compensation because it is their mistake, not yours.

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #17
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

I agree.

A responsible dealership should make good on the sale.
If you choose to re-order they should not expect a dime (or the UK equivalent) more from you than you originally agreed upon.

If they are a GOOD dealership they should compensate you in some respect (loaner or reduced price) for their mistake.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #18
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 4 GC 2.8i MSport

Andrewob, I would be furious and there's not way would I take the car until I had the spec I ordered. Charging you extra is a disgrace, I made changes on my Car within a month of it going into production so I don't think thats an issue. They've cocked up simple as. Gutted for you, I better check everything on my car, but all seemed fine on my brief look at it.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #19
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Seek legal advice, I dont see how they can possibly charge you a penny difference (VAT or other) they can offset any VAT increase with a discount. Take it as high as possible within dealer (dont just deal with the monkey that got it wrong).

You will be forever unhappy if you take the car that is not to spec unless they do a sizeable discount - would it hurt them to sell it you at their cost?

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 06:30 PM   #20
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Will they let you use the incorrect one as a loaner while you wait for the new one to be built? I think this is a fair trade off considering their mistake. My dealer has bent over backwards to make things right for me on top of giving me the 35i as a loaner until my re-order comes in.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 12:05 AM   #21
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Retrofitting means a lot of work as they need to fit stuff like levelling sensors & headlamp washers. In the days past, BMW made xenon retrofit kits for both the E9x & E6x (as well as adaptive headlamp upgrade). Dealers won't undertake any retrofit work unless a factory kit is available.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 12:33 AM   #22
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Re. VAT they would have paid at 20% anyway because it's paid when cars are delivered and paid for, not when they are ordered. What you got was a 2.5% discount and they have to honour that. They're just trying it on

Appreciate 0