BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-07-2021, 04:25 PM   #1
DevilsSavior666
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 i28

BMW X3 help

Hey everyone! New to BMWs in general, as my wife picked up a 2013 X3 xdrive i28 a couple months ago. The valve cover just started leaking onto the exhaust, apparently a common issue with BMWs after 80k miles. Any other common issues I should know about with these? Does anyone happen to know where I can pick up a mechanics book for these, as Haynes nor Chilton make one. Who knows the torque for the valve cover, for when I replace the gasket this weekend?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 06:42 PM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

I don't believe there are any aftermarket repair manuals for the F25 Series cars. BMW has a web accessible site that is the companies Technical Information System (TIS), this is basically the repair manual BMW technicians use as reference, it's very detaild with step by step instructions and also very costly to access. Until rather recently there was a company that provided free access to a clone or the like of the TIS, however BMW legal successfully forced the site to shutdown- that site was open for anyone to use at no cost.

So I don't have an answer as to where you can get repair and service instructions. you can access RealOEM.com site which will give you photos, part numbers of the cars entire array of components, it's useful in buying parts. you input your cars VIN number and drill down into the database- good reference.

The one important area regards common weak points you may want to ,look at is the timing chain/chain guide assemblies. A recent class action lawsuit was undertaken/settled and BMW has offered some restitution regards repair, warranty. the plastic chain guides on the N20 4 banger motors prematurely failed, often causing sever engine damage.

enjoy your car, good luck on the VCG replacement

Last edited by Wgosma; 01-08-2021 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0