BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-21-2020, 07:11 PM   #1
willywi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW x3, BMW x5

Suggestions on DA polisher

I'm looking to get a DA polisher to remove swirl marks and light scratches on my car. I have 2 brands in mind, Adam's Swirl killer 15mm polisher and Chemical Guys BUF501X 10FX. Anyone had experience with these 2 polishers? Or perhaps something better?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 08:07 PM   #2
Alex C.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Bmw X3 xdrive30i

Garage List
Adams is my go to
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 06:59 AM   #3
HPR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 35i M Sport

There are any number of very good DA polishers on the market now. I have personal experience with Adam's Swirl Killer and the Rupes 15mm throw Bigfoot. Both are excellent well made machines, have good balance, and are easy to handle. I don't think you can't go wrong with either.

Griot's also makes a DA polisher that's received good reviews.
      12-22-2020, 12:54 PM   #4
e30lover318i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30,E34T,E46,F48

The rupes HPR mentioned it’s a great machine! I’ve been using the same Milwaukee orbital since 2007 never had any issues with it! ... but it’s rather heavy. I would highly suggest the rupes if you have the money, don’t forget when polishing just like sanding you need to use different pads or compounds. If this is your first time practice just using the polishing pad first before you get into “cutting” something else you need to be aware of is the lower the speed less of a chance to get swirls
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 06:39 PM   #5
willywi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30lover318i View Post
The rupes HPR mentioned it’s a great machine! I’ve been using the same Milwaukee orbital since 2007 never had any issues with it! ... but it’s rather heavy. I would highly suggest the rupes if you have the money, don’t forget when polishing just like sanding you need to use different pads or compounds. If this is your first time practice just using the polishing pad first before you get into “cutting” something else you need to be aware of is the lower the speed less of a chance to get swirls
Thanks for the input, Rupes is out of my budget. I'm planning to buy pads and polisher for around $300.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 06:40 PM   #6
willywi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPR View Post
There are any number of very good DA polishers on the market now. I have personal experience with Adam's Swirl Killer and the Rupes 15mm throw Bigfoot. Both are excellent well made machines, have good balance, and are easy to handle. I don't think you can't go wrong with either.

Griot's also makes a DA polisher that's received good reviews.
How is the noise and vibration with Adam's Swirl killer? I bought a cheap one from Amazon and it was awful to use.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 07:01 PM   #7
HPR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 35i M Sport

It's been since April when I last polished and detailed my car, so remembering the Adam's Swirl Killer noise level is a bit hazy. It never struck me as noisy, but I didn't pay that much attention to it either. The thing I do like is that it's well balanced, hence not a lot of vibration or tendency to try and wander. It does a great job of removing swirls and light scratches. I just checked Adam's web site and he's running a holiday deal on the 15mm throw machine right now.