BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-29-2020, 10:09 PM   #1
tracfour
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550. 2015 x328d

Garage List
Winter Tires

I live in Chicago and always run winter tires: I just tried the Pirelli Winter Sottozero , they were brand new run flat . I got them on a Friday and we had a small snow on Monday and these tires had only 1 mile on them. I hit the snow and In my opinion they did not do as well as my older Blizazzak that I had before. I was able to return them and just replaced them with Bridgestone Blizzak WS90. I decided to go with the non run flat tires. I think these will be a better choice. If I get a flat I will either get a tow or have wife grab one of my all season wheels from the garage and meet me with my floor jack.

My vote is for the Bridgestone Blizzak WS90, I was lucky that discount tire gave me no issue with doing an exchange and the Blizzak were about $120 cheaper.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-29-2020, 11:36 PM   #2
Lenny_RDM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Last Monday snow?????? Wait 3-4 weeks and then you realize they are same))
Btw. That's cool they replace them
I live i Chicago area too and my choice for this winter are Michelin pilot sport AS we will see
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2020, 08:59 AM   #3
andreigbs
Dr Drei
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3d

Garage List
'16 X3d  [0.00]
I'm a little further north, finally replaced the OEM Pirelli RFTs.

I've found that new all-season tires replaced right before the snow starts flying are what most folks with AWD will need to get around. If I had a FWD or RWD car, I might go with dedicated winter tires.

I chose these tires https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...del=Ecsta+PA51 and the difference in ride quality, traction, and comfort is worlds apart from the Pirelli RFTs.

Even though I'm working from home until April 2021, these tires should make winter driving a breeze.
      12-01-2020, 09:44 AM   #4
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

I got these last winter - love them.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...um=445WR9WTPXL

100x better than the all season run flats in snow.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 09:20 PM   #5
EricD735i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘16 328d & ‘16 X3 28d

Starting second season on Continental Viking Contacts, 235/55-18. They worked well last year and the one snow we’ve had this year. Just put the WS90’s on my son’s Jetta and while I haven’t had a chance to test them in the snow I’d say they’re better on a dry road than the Contis. But the Contis were basically unstoppable in the snow last year so it’s all relative.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 08:53 AM   #6
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreigbs View Post
I'm a little further north, finally replaced the OEM Pirelli RFTs.

I've found that new all-season tires replaced right before the snow starts flying are what most folks with AWD will need to get around. If I had a FWD or RWD car, I might go with dedicated winter tires.

I chose these tires https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...del=Ecsta+PA51 and the difference in ride quality, traction, and comfort is worlds apart from the Pirelli RFTs.

Even though I'm working from home until April 2021, these tires should make winter driving a breeze.
You are right, most people with AWD only need AS tires in good condition to get around in the winter. But if you live someplace that doesnt always get timely plowing and/or you cant wait until the plows have come through then winter tires are a must in my opinion.
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 09:19 AM   #7
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
Oddly the focus always seems to be on going forward through snow and it many cases all-season tires are fine especially with BMW's all-wheel drive. Stopping, on the other hand, is equally important. It's braking where winter tires excel sometimes stopping in half the distance of the all-season ones.
Appreciate 2
      12-03-2020, 03:20 PM   #8
docal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i

Just put on the Winters from last year. Continental Contact 7's on TSW rims packaged @ $2400. Very happy with 'em
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 07:53 AM   #9
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X3 35iX/'20 440ix cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracfour View Post
I live in Chicago and always run winter tires: I just tried the Pirelli Winter Sottozero , they were brand new run flat . I got them on a Friday and we had a small snow on Monday and these tires had only 1 mile on them. I hit the snow and In my opinion they did not do as well as my older Blizazzak that I had before. I was able to return them and just replaced them with Bridgestone Blizzak WS90. I decided to go with the non run flat tires. I think these will be a better choice. If I get a flat I will either get a tow or have wife grab one of my all season wheels from the garage and meet me with my floor jack.

My vote is for the Bridgestone Blizzak WS90, I was lucky that discount tire gave me no issue with doing an exchange and the Blizzak were about $120 cheaper.
I also went with the WS90 last season and was quite happy with them. I'm in the Denver area and have to deal with sunny and dry pavement as well as snow and it's icy aftermath. In my case I got a set of dedicated 17x7.5" wheels and ran 235/60/17. This is very close to the factory 17" fitments.

As for running the non-runflats, my strategy is
1. air compressor for the typical slow leak. Air it up and take it to a shop.
2. tire plugs for a faster leak. These failures are much less common.
3. catastrophic failures. AAA. Runflats aren't going to be much help here either.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2020, 06:15 PM   #10
Vikingstaff
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Would love to have people weight in on a similar post. I am down to likely getting either the Michelin X-Ice X13s or the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80s. Anyone with experience with either or both tires, specially if spread over multiple winters, I’d love to hear your thoughts and experience. Currently leaning slightly toward the X-Ice X13s for durability and highway handling, but open. I can check in on replies here or on my thread post:

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783356

Thanks everyone!
      12-27-2020, 02:40 PM   #11
Cnd Pharaoh
------------
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW - X3 - 30i

I live in the suburbs of the GTA, snow is pretty usual routine between December and April, I have Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 installed on my X3 around the year, non-run flat tires.

I installed them last year Nov -2019, no issues at all, so far.

BTW, Continental tires come with complementary roadside Assistance for 3 yrs or the tread life of the tire, whichever comes first, so no worries about flat tire.
      01-03-2021, 09:35 PM   #12
Vikingstaff
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Follow up on the X-Ice winter tires. They are AMAZING!!! I feel as confident as in my former Yukons/Escalades.

Ice conditions: Simply amazing. Stop and start exceptionally well, holding the vehicle in lane and predictable.

Heavy Snow 5”+: Exceeded my expectations. Again, start and stop are excellent.Holds lane perfectly. Parked in a foot of snow, and pulls out like on a normal surface.

Total confidence in all winter conditions with these tires on an xdrive X3.