BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-12-2017, 04:18 PM   #1
arkow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2019 M2 Comp

PDC front sensor replacement

Anyone replaced parking aid sensor in the front bumper on their X3? i need to change 1 of the sensors and not sure how to go about it..

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 12:05 PM   #2
arkow
Private First Class
Rep

no one? is it uncommon that sensors go bad? or people just have Dealer fix them? i got a quote to replace 1 front sensor and wanted to throw up...they said the bumper has to come off..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 08:57 PM   #3
Scout10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 X28i

haven't had to. . . . still under warranty but if i did i'd
look at an exploded parts diagram for location.
look at an image of it on internet for detail.
Jack up the bad side, throw cardboard on floor, flash lite,
and have at it, twist off or depress a clip.
Its a simple item and if your going to attempt it . . . you've seen it before.
do it !
1965 Chevrolet Corvette 327 / 4spd Convt
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 10:13 AM   #4
arkow
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout10 View Post
haven't had to. . . . still under warranty but if i did i'd
look at an exploded parts diagram for location.
look at an image of it on internet for detail.
Jack up the bad side, throw cardboard on floor, flash lite,
and have at it, twist off or depress a clip.
Its a simple item and if your going to attempt it . . . you've seen it before.
do it !
I will try this weekend, hopefully i can get to it without taking bumper off.. will update after this weekend.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 01:32 PM   #5
smunn
tbears
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkow View Post
no one? is it uncommon that sensors go bad? or people just have Dealer fix them? i got a quote to replace 1 front sensor and wanted to throw up...they said the bumper has to come off..
My car is still under warranty but I am not very trusting of the local BMW dealer after a GM change. Can you share what they quoted you as it looks like it came unglued when I looked at it. I do not see any clips that could have broken but.....

Also how did it go replacing the sensor yourself.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 01:04 PM   #6
arkow
Private First Class
Rep

I haven't replaced it yet, but its about $250 for this sensor (insane). I am planning to get it done soon as its annoying when backing up as i get a warning on my navi system about the PDC sensors...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 11:37 PM   #7
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2020 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Don't have an issue with my sensors but I am in the same boat as you. I have bought a set of LED fog lights to replace my halogens as they look awful when switched on with my Xenons working.

I have no option but to remove the bumper. My research so far is there are 10 8mm screws to be removed from under the bumper and on top, 6 T30 Torx screws from under the rubber strip seal between the bonnet seal and kidney grilles.

The problem is.... I have the motorsport version that has wheel flares that has at least 4 plastic rivets on each side that secure the wheel arch to the bumper. I am at a loss on how to remove these rivets without destroying them as I would like to re use them as they are colour coded to the car paint. My nearest dealer is also 400kms away from where I live.

I would welcome any advice on how to remove these rivets so I can re use them or is just not an option?
      06-07-2018, 09:25 PM   #8
jman001
Registered
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 2012 2.8i

In order to replace the front PDC sensors it is necessary to remove the bumper cover. That requires loosening the screws that attach the cover to the fender and for that you need to remove the plastic rivets holding the black fender trim and the wheel liner. Then remove the nuts that secure the botom cover. There are also 4 torx screws securing the cover near the radiator. If only the sensors from one side are bad you don’t have to remove the bumper entirely, just the side that needs replacement. Hope this helps anyone.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2018, 09:38 PM   #9
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

For the poster who said his came unglued, the sensor snaps onto a bracket that is held on with two-sided tape (at least other BMWs are, and I assume these are the same). You don't need a sensor - you can just buy the holder with new tape. But the bumper has to come off.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 06:04 PM   #10
chrispitude
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 325xiT 6MT, F31 328xdT

My wife and I bought a CPO 2016 BMW X3 five months ago. Last week, the front parking sensor started alerting constantly. Here's the front driver side, nothing to see here...

Here's the front passenger side - uh oh:

The sensor has fallen into the hole, and it looks (to me) like there is JB Weld or some other kind of gray epoxy where it fell off:

The gray epoxy-like stuff is very hard, no stickiness to it whatsoever. Here's a closer look:

I starting removing the wheel liner, but quickly realized that it's attached with one-time-use blind rivets (51118222901) which I don't have.

How is this sensor supposed to be attached? Does it make sense that this hard gray epoxy-like stuff is on it? If that's not normal, I might be able to argue that this part is not up to the CPO certification standards.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 05:57 AM   #11
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Yes i have my front inner sensor took a direct hit from a stone and knocked it clean in. Ended up taking the bumper off to repair it with some Pratleys Plastic steel (the one where you mix the 2 tubes together) This was in May this year also took the opportunity to replace the halogen foglights with some OEM LED ones which i am really pleased with
Attached Images

________4158.50
      12-06-2018, 08:42 AM   #12
chrispitude
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambazonke View Post
Yes i have my front inner sensor took a direct hit from a stone and knocked it clean in. Ended up taking the bumper off to repair it with some Pratleys Plastic steel (the one where you mix the 2 tubes together) This was in May this year also took the opportunity to replace the halogen foglights with some OEM LED ones which i am really pleased with
You are a life saver!

How did you take the front bumper off? Did you have to buy more one-time-use blind rivets to reattach anything, or are all bumper fasteners reusable?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 10:35 AM   #13
rirrgang
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 x35i

Put the aslt 7 of your vin in this website.
Instructions are there
https://www.newtis.info/
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 01:07 PM   #14
chrispitude
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rirrgang View Post
Instructions are there
Whoah, that's exceptionally awesome.

So before I take this thing apart, can anybody comment if that gray epoxy-like stuff is factory or not? Because if it's not normal, I'd sure like to complain to my dealer that this is not how a CPO car should be...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 01:22 PM   #15
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispitude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rirrgang View Post
Instructions are there
Whoah, that's exceptionally awesome.

So before I take this thing apart, can anybody comment if that gray epoxy-like stuff is factory or not? Because if it's not normal, I'd sure like to complain to my dealer that this is not how a CPO car should be...
How do you think a CPO car should be?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 07:33 PM   #16
chrispitude
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post
Not glued together, preferably!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 07:34 PM   #17
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Not glued together, preferably!
CPO has nothing to do with that...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 09:52 PM   #18
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
You are a life saver!

How did you take the front bumper off? Did you have to buy more one-time-use blind rivets to reattach anything, or are all bumper fasteners reusable?
Yes I had to buy a pack of 10 white plastic rivets to replace the 10 I drilled out. Took me 2 days to do it but now that I know where all the screws and grommets are and the sequence to remove them, could do it in a day now on my own
Attached Images

12-17-2018, 11:53 AM   #19
chrispitude
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I see from your post history that you've been equally helpful to others. Aren't you so clever!

Quote:
Yes I had to buy a pack of 10 white plastic rivets to replace the 10 I drilled out. Took me 2 days to do it but now that I know where all the screws and grommets are and the sequence to remove them, could do it in a day now on my own
Thank you for the inspiration! I started down this path too (dropping your Torx screwdriver into the grill cavity is annoying) but then decided to try going in through the wheel well liner:

Here's a picture of the PDC sensor from the inside:

Yep, definitely broken. As others have said, the sensor itself clips into a plastic mounting plate. On this side, the plate was reattached by the previous owner/dealer with gray RTV-like stuff (which eventually failed). Here's some scraps of what I peeled off:

On the other (good) side of the car, the mounting plate was firmly attached with whatever adhesive tape is used from the factory, with no RTV in sight.

I used some JB Weld WaterWeld putty to adhere the mounting plate back to the inside of the front bumper. Hopefully it holds better than the previous repair.

I didn't have the proper blind rivets handy from a dealer, so I purchased the Harbor Freight plastic blind rivet gun, item 97757, and used the included Chinese rivets to put things back together. I'll replace them with the proper OE/OEM rivets at a later date.

While under the car, I also noticed three cracks (at three different places) in the plastic undertray, plus at least four missing fasteners. I'm not too impressed with this CPO certification thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 11:57 AM   #20
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I see from your post history that you've been equally helpful to others. Aren't you so clever!

Quote:
Thank you for the inspiration! I started down this path too (dropping your Torx screwdriver into the grill cavity is annoying) but then decided to try going in through the wheel well liner:

Here's a picture of the PDC sensor from the inside:

Yep, definitely broken. As others have said, the sensor itself clips into a plastic mounting plate. On this side, the plate was reattached by the previous owner/dealer with gray RTV-like stuff (which eventually failed). Here's some scraps of what I peeled off:

On the other (good) side of the car, the mounting plate was firmly attached with whatever adhesive tape is used from the factory, with no RTV in sight.

I used some JB Weld WaterWeld putty to adhere the mounting plate back to the inside of the front bumper. Hopefully it holds better than the last repairer.

While under the car, I also noticed three cracks (at three different places) in the plastic undertray, plus at least four missing fasteners. I'm not too impressed with this CPO certification thing.
You're welcome.
I enjoy telling people what they could've easily read on their contracts.
Appreciate 0