BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-04-2023, 08:13 PM   #23
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbofraggins View Post
Today started the Timing job… with valve cover off… I now know the source of the increasing tattle… the chain itself……it has stretched significantly (see pic).
Take a pic of the old chain laying next to the new chain to show how much the old chain has elongated.
Appreciate 2
      10-04-2023, 08:54 PM   #24
tom2021
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 xDrive28i

My opinion as an engineer:
The chain is made of metal. If the elongation is still within elastic limit, it will shortened back to its original length. If the elongation is permanent, that means the chain has been stretched to plastic limit, that can't be recover.
Appreciate 2
      10-05-2023, 02:40 PM   #25
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowblackx3f25 View Post
yes, the dealership quoted me CAD$10k (CAD$9.2k) including parts + labor.

I did shop around and I asked other shops which are BMW specialized, and they quoted me anywhere from $2.4k to $6.3k (CAD$) which includes parts + labor.
I'm sitting around 1500 Cdn for the timing chain side (includes oil, coolant, filter) OEM parts. Also purchased the cam and oil pump tool (good ones) - not included in the 1500. Borrowed a crank seal remover/installer tool. Fabricated an engine support bar....two actually, first attempt deflected too much.

Had to add a front diff axle seal (broke removing the diff), but will replace both. None available locally, so ordered Corteco from Amazon...paid 24 instead of 70 BMW. That will delay things but its Thanksgiving weekend here.

Also doing tranny drain and fill, new filter and pan upgrade, diffs and transfer case oils.

The shops in Toronto doing this for $2400 CDN (xdrive), are reusing all but the 'must change item's in my opinion... which is probably fine....and will save a lot.

I'm thinking 3K Cdn +tax with OEM parts is a fair price at an Indy. At 2400...they must be really experienced - added to the fact they know what is needed.

$9.5K at BMW is of course gouging for a problem they have caused...but no Dealer/Brand is going to be cheap. I'll keep my thoughts on BMW itself for another day.

Last edited by Bilbofraggins; 10-05-2023 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 1