BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-06-2022, 03:07 PM   #1
Bonander
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 xdrive 35i

How f**ked am I?

Hello folks:
I have a 2014 x3 xdrive 35i. It has about 150.000 miles on it. Twelve months ago, the transmission died and the BMW dealership installed a new one (paid for almost entirely thanks to a warranty).

However, ten days ago the engine "seized", it "won't crank" and I "spun a rod bearing."

I used quotes because I don't know much about cars.

Based on this very limited information, am I f**ked here? I still have the vehicle under a warranty which states that it will pay up to $10,000 for prime parts such as the engine.

The BMW dealership is not a viable option here because this is a different warranty company with their own 'certified' shops, and somehow the dealership failed to meet their standards.

tldr; bmw engine appears to be dead and I don't know what I'm in for, and won't know for several more days. please advise.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 10:09 PM   #2
brianhinton77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i, 2016 X5 M-Sport

Garage List
If you have an extended warranty of some type, and it paid for a transmission at the dealer, why wouldn’t it pay for an engine at the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 09:56 AM   #3
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Welcome to the forum...
I advise you to read in great detail and understand exactly what your warranty contract covers.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 01:17 PM   #4
Bonander
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhinton77 View Post
If you have an extended warranty of some type, and it paid for a transmission at the dealer, why wouldn’t it pay for an engine at the dealer?
We bought the car used. The previous owner had an extended auto warranty through some company, I don't recall who. We had paid him for the car but we hadn't done any of the paperwork, and he had not cancelled the warranty yet. So we were able to bring it to the dealership under his name and his warranty and get the transmission replaced that way.

Once the paperwork was done, we purchased an extended warranty through a different company, and they have their own approved mechanics, and the list does not include BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 01:35 PM   #5
Bonander
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Welcome to the forum...
I advise you to read in great detail and understand exactly what your warranty contract covers.
The warranty covers all internally lubricated parts of the engine up to an amount not to exceed $10,000.

However, the warranty also states that they will "not pay for repairs to components that have ceased to operate or exhibited signs of failure prior to the purchase of the contract."

I assume the latter clause, "prior to the purchase of this contract" applies separately to both "components that ceased to operate" and components that "exhibited signs of failure".
Appreciate 0