BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-18-2023, 09:52 AM   #1
whitenblue
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive35i

X3 F25 rear sunroof drains and water in passenger footwell

Hi,
I have a 2017 X3 F25 and recently got into it to discover 1 inch of water in the passenger footwell. This was after a heavy day of rain with the car parked on a heavy nose down pitch. Searching the web I discovered it is typically the sunroof front drains that are clogged and/or the door vapor barrier butyl rubber seal. Both of those things are well documented in various BMW forums. What is not are the rear sunroof drains. Seems people can't find them. I found one post at xoutpost.com from a guy who has worked on many BMW sunroof systems and shared some tips and knowledge. Because I didn't want to tear out the interior trim, pull up the front carpet again and spend a day drying it out with a hairdryer jammed under it, and risk any electrical damage, I wanted to check the rear drains as well. I removed the D pillar and the cargo box on the left side, and looked and looked. Following the instruction given by the member at xoutpost.com I was able to pull down the headliner and found where the rear drain tubes connect to the sunroof frame in the rear. Basically you removed the D pillar trim, pull the weather strip off around the hatch at the top, gently pull down the headliner in the middle to reveal a typical plastic push-in clip about 8" back from the headliner edge. The clip stays with the headliner. Using a long plastic trim tool I popped the clip down. This allows you to pull the headliner down more to access the rear drain tubes. I followed the tubes with my finger poking through various holes in the unibody and just couldn't see how they ended up behind the rear bumper cover as was discussed online in various forums. Maybe that is on the prior generation? Then with a stroke of luck my finger found the tube! The rear drain outlet was right in front of my eyes the entire time. It exits conveniently at the top of the rear hatch door just outboard of the hinges on both sides. It would be super easy to test the drains by pouring water in the channel at the front with the rear of the car pitched down and watching to see if water comes out of these rubber grommet looking drains. You can even use an air compressor to blow debris back if necessary.
Appreciate 0