BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-05-2023, 07:06 AM   #1
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

How Much Did You Pay At The Dealer/Indy/DIY

I do as much out of warranty maint as I can, always have.

With 30+ years on BMWs, I know my savings are considerable from, struts/shocks, brakes, ignition, fluids, filters etc.

For instance - just DIY’d all plugs coils (160Cdn) , air, under-hood charcoal and glove compartment pollen filter (60Cdn).

Always interested to read on what folks have paid at the dealer or Indy or DIY.

Purpose of this thread if it takes-off, is a one-stop-shop to post what you paid to get a job done to give a simple idea of what to expect or the savings if you DIY.

Last edited by Bilbofraggins; 09-05-2023 at 08:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 02:02 PM   #2
ClutchFC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Replaced my front struts. A job I could've done myself but I didn't have the means to get that troublesome bolt out of the knuckle to release the bottom of the shock. BMW doesn't install customer supplied parts obviously, so their cost IIRC was $1,200.

Took it to a Indy shop, had the struts replaced with one front wheel bearing, bill came out to be about half that. JUST the struts too, reused all the rest. However they did in my opinion, somewhat careless work. Pad sensor wire was busted (half-ass mended with but-connectors), and some miles down the road the nut side of that bolt to keep the strut in the knuckle randomly broke off. And after doing the other front wheel bearing later on down the road, I didn't realize how easy it is . Appreciated paying half of BMW's quote, but didn't really appreciate their final work.

Also needed front radius arms replaced. Again, another job I could've handle myself but once again didn't have the means to remove the ball-joints that were more or less seized into the knuckle. I think BMW's cost was in the $900 ballpark. I invested $250 in arms (Delphi from Rockauto since I was going to remove the bushings anyways so the arm not being true OEM didn't bother me) and pushed the bushings myself, another $100 something for Powerflex urethane bushings, BMW OEM ball joints around $75, new hardware, and a different more trustworthy Indy shop than what was used previously had me out the door for labor costs $150.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2023, 01:48 PM   #3
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

My X3 needed brakes front and rear both. My Indy alerted me to it when I got lazy in the middle of one winter and had them do an oil change while I waited. Then they quoted $1800 all around for the job. I said no and headed out. The next spring I did it myself for about $450 all around with parts from FCP. I spent about an hour at each corner doing it myself, and that included some extra work like cleaning the rust off the hub faces, cleaning the calipers better than I can do reaching through the spokes when washing the car, stuff like that.
Appreciate 2
      09-11-2023, 09:03 PM   #4
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
My X3 needed brakes front and rear both. My Indy alerted me to it when I got lazy in the middle of one winter and had them do an oil change while I waited. Then they quoted $1800 all around for the job. I said no and headed out. The next spring I did it myself for about $450 all around with parts from FCP. I spent about an hour at each corner doing it myself, and that included some extra work like cleaning the rust off the hub faces, cleaning the calipers better than I can do reaching through the spokes when washing the car, stuff like that.
Been there got the T-shirt..put brembo pads rotors on four corners of what is now my sons F25...at the 2 year old point when the BMW stuff disintegrated...cost 500 Cdn in 2017.....

About to do my X6M with all OEM stuff (my 2013 X6M is on original rotors/second set of pads)......and pads on an M40i....with 30K (miles)...

I only use, Brembo, Pagid or Zimmerman rotors....pads I'm less fussy....opting usually for ceramic...

Last edited by Bilbofraggins; 10-16-2023 at 10:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 09:25 AM   #5
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

2012 X3 28i (N52 motor) - Oil Pan gasket replaced, & new motor mounts installed:

Just had the above work done at Independent German Auto shop in Reno, NV - car has 119K miles:

Total Cost: $1,557
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2023, 10:19 PM   #6
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Timing Chain Job completed today.

All fluids changed.
Plastic (ABS) tranny pan upgraded to an aluminum one with new bolts.
Front Sway Brace bushings and stablilizer links.

Vehicle fired up and test driven.
Tranny recheck in the AM.

Approx cost including special tool jigs and making an engine support bar $2100 Canadian.

More detailed breakdown to follow.

Last edited by Bilbofraggins; 10-16-2023 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0