BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
GBMW6612
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3M

Thoughts on clear bra for my X3

My 2012 X3 is coming out of production so I was looking into getting a clear bra from 3m. Is this worth the price tag $$$. Would appreciate your thoughts this going to be my first BMW
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I've had the clear bra on my car for 7-1/2 years and it has saved a lot of damage. It has not yellowed either. I would highly recommend it on any new car.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

Yes well worth the money
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I clear bra'd mine. There's my answer.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
GBMW6612
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
I've had the clear bra on my car for 7-1/2 years and it has saved a lot of damage. It has not yellowed either. I would highly recommend it on any new car.
did you go full hood or just a bikini ?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Just the hood... this picture was taken after three years in the middle of winter.

When the car is washed and waxed you can't see the clear bra at all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
litt
Private
Rep
Drives: Raptor, Macan S, M5C

I hate rock chips. I have had a clear bra on my last three cars and will put it on every car I buy from here on out. They also make cleaning bugs up a lot easier.

Side note, do you guys seal or wax your clear bras?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I use Turtle Wax ICE Synthetic Liquid Polish... works great even on the black plastic with no white residue.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 09:52 PM   #9
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Wax is a big no no for clear bra. Carnauba wax is natural therefor it will yellow the bra. The clearbra installer sold me his own "special" clear bra sealant, but wouldn't disclose any information about it to me or where I could get more of it other than through him......

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 10:03 PM   #10
litt
Private
Rep
Drives: Raptor, Macan S, M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
Wax is a big no no for clear bra. Carnauba wax is natural therefor it will yellow the bra. The clearbra installer sold me his own "special" clear bra sealant, but wouldn't disclose any information about it to me or where I could get more of it other than through him......
There seems to be a lot of differing opinions on this topic (do a search on it). The last clear bra installer I used told me to wax it. The previous one told me not to wax it. I am curious if you have seen one go yellow because of the wax? Since it is a lifetime warranty against yellowing (and I don't recall reading in the warranty not to wax it but I may be wrong here) wouldn't it get replaced if it did go yellow? I have to admit its a bit shady that he is the only one with this "special" sealant...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 11:13 PM   #11
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Wax does not hurt the 3m clear bra...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 06:03 AM   #12
rgx3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 xDrive 35i

Your that office guy who goes to all the potlucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
I just finished reading your KIA Sportage thread and commenting. It's kinda weird that you participate in a forum about BMW's but don't own one or plan on purchasing one. Your like that office guy who goes to all the potlucks but doesn't work in any of those other departments. Not that it's a rule but I guess I always assumed that participants in any particular forum have something in common with the forum, otherwise, what do you have to offer about owning an X3 when you don't even own one.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 06:14 AM   #13
rgx3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Not a clear bra believer at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by litt View Post
I hate rock chips. I have had a clear bra on my last three cars and will put it on every car I buy from here on out. They also make cleaning bugs up a lot easier.

Side note, do you guys seal or wax your clear bras?
I was offered the clear protection at signing and said no. None of my past cars or suv's have suffered from rock damage to the hood or front facia so I'm not convinced it is necessary.............for me that is. Plus I was concerned about the fact that you can see the line and difference in sheen between the plastic and paint. In addition, won't the paint fade differently? I have no experience with this but it seems like it would have some affect. Of course 10 years from now I could be eating my words when my facia is all chipped up.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 07:34 AM   #14
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

+1

Every picture I've seen here shows the lines clearly. Those I've seen in person are distinct. Doesn't work for me. The lines of the protectant are more noticeable than the small rock chips. A little touch up paint and they're nearly gone. A little bit like a cover on an iPhone, to me.
      12-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #15
BBMk
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 BMW newbie

They say the "serious" car guys don't use a clear paint protection because they repaint - in addition its not cool. How many car shows have you seen with paint protection at car shows. None.

Anyway, I chose to put paint protection for my cars because I hate seeing paint ships on the hood. From afar the lines are not noticeable. But if you want that consistent shine from the entire car then the bra may not be for you.

As for cost/value, $300 for paint protection is reasonable. I believe a decent paint job for the hood is probably $500. I think you can make the argument that even if you keep the car for 8years+...repainting hood after year 4 is better than a clear bra.

Whatever you do...do not get a hack job. I passed by the BMW certified cars and someone had a poor paint protection job and the car looked like it had yellow sandwich wrapping on it. Its too bad because the rest of the car looked decent.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #16
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Hey simpleton... this thread is about 3M clear bra... you may have missed the point. Does your post offer anything constructive with respect to 3M clear bra?

Something in common? Automotive enthusiast perhaps. Maybe you are a poser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgx3 View Post
I just finished reading your KIA Sportage thread and commenting. It's kinda weird that you participate in a forum about BMW's but don't own one or plan on purchasing one. Your like that office guy who goes to all the potlucks but doesn't work in any of those other departments. Not that it's a rule but I guess I always assumed that participants in any particular forum have something in common with the forum, otherwise, what do you have to offer about owning an X3 when you don't even own one.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #17
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
+1

Every picture I've seen here shows the lines clearly. Those I've seen in person are distinct. Doesn't work for me. The lines of the protectant are more noticeable than the small rock chips. A little touch up paint and they're nearly gone. A little bit like a cover on an iPhone, to me.
Below are 3 of my previous cars that have all had the 3M installed on. The BMW 330i had it on for 1 year, G35 for 5 years and the Nissan Maxima for 3 years. Even after all that time, pictures still did not show the 3M lines. I'll take pictures after my X3 gets done and I'll bet it wont show any lines until I am super close to it.

Paint underneith will not fade, as its protected compared to the rest of the car. It will not wreck your paint as it's applied by suction instead of glued/stuck on the car.

If you are going to get this stuff, make sure its the most recent 3m material used. The new stuff is very thin whereas the old material was thick and more visable to the eye even at further distances.

To me it was either deal with pits all over my hood and front or dealing with a barely visable line on my vehicle. Answer was simple for me.

2006 BMW 330i - //M rep kit with custom exhaust, H&R springs, 19" VMR - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 10:46 AM   #18
TarHeelFan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I had mine done and, per the recommendation of the 3M installer, had the following: Complete front bumper and lights, mirrors and 20" of hood. Not only did he not try to oversell the entire hood, he also added the protection to the door edges and inside grips of the door handles for free.

I'll admit, the line is visible when looking for it BUT I've had people checking out my car and they're so enamored with everything else that they don't notice it until I point it out.

I've just had too much bad luck with far too many rock chips to not do this. I'd rather have a line that I have to point out to people than little nicks and dings all over the front of the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #19
TogMogX3
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgx3 View Post
Hello rgx3,

I could not help but notice that you too have been insulted by this 'lbjgh' character on in this thread.

Sorry folks that this post is off thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #20
rgx3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Lost in cyber world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TogMogX3 View Post
Hello rgx3,

I could not help but notice that you too have been insulted by this 'lbjgh' character on in this thread.

Sorry folks that this post is off thread.
Maybe he'll eventually find his way over to the Honda Accord forum instead of lurking on this one. One could only hope.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #21
Bandit6
Migrant Worker in the Global War of Terrorism
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i sedan 07, X3 28i 12

Quote:
I clear bra'd mine. There's my answer.
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 01:59 AM   #22
mdtmem
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 35i M Sport

Quote:
Xpel(www.xpel.com) makes a sealant/wax for clear bras & i have used it with good results.
Appreciate 0