BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-26-2020, 07:36 PM   #1
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

2011 F25 rear coil spring

Looking for one of these springs, new or used but can't find the part number on Realoem...anyone have it? Anyone know why searching for an OEM replacement doesn't produce results?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 06:00 AM   #2
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X3 35iX/'20 440ix cabrio

I think BMW puts the springs in a spring table that's a separate lookup from regular parts. I may have an ETK version from 8/2013 that would have that lookup. However it's on a virtual machine so I can't get to it at this moment. I'll try and check it out this evening. I'll need the last 7 digits of your VIN so PM me. Alternately, check with your local BMW parts counter.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:52 PM   #3
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Spring table lookup

Name:  spring table - Copy.png
Views: 677
Size:  93.2 KB
Appreciate 2
      01-28-2020, 08:04 AM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardodn View Post
Spring table lookup

Attachment 2227969
Thanks much! Not sure if it matters but my car also has the 2TB Sport Auto Tranny with the paddle shifters.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 01:01 PM   #5
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

For anyone wondering how I got this, I have a version of the BMW parts catalog from around 2013 installed on a computer. Similar to sites like realoem, you can input your VIN to get part numbers specific to your car. Unlike those sites, there is a spring table section where you can look up the PNs for springs. In this case it didn't pre-select the installed options so I had to go to a VIN decoder site and select them manually.

I'll add the 2TB when I get home. I don't expect that to matter.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 06:19 PM   #6
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Thanks much! Not sure if it matters but my car also has the 2TB Sport Auto Tranny with the paddle shifters.
Not sure if it matters, but don't you also have EDC? seen in another post...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 08:06 PM   #7
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Ha ha, I really thought I did, that is until I just replaced a couple of wheel speed sensors which gave me the chance to really take a look at my struts/shocks. Turns out they are just normal front struts and rear shocks. So am now confused a bit as to what the Sport and Sport + button really does that is on my center console. I never use it but have pushed it a few times and see my center screen lights up with selections but have never used it. When I need power, I just floor it and that sucker gets up and goes. I love this N55 engine and my tranny just seems to know exactly when to shift - heaven sent.

So the good news is I won't have to pay $1K to change out my struts/shocks
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 04:52 AM   #8
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Adding the 2TB option changed the front springs to 31336787737
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2020, 05:34 PM   #9
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Ha ha, I really thought I did, that is until I just replaced a couple of wheel speed sensors which gave me the chance to really take a look at my struts/shocks. Turns out they are just normal front struts and rear shocks. So am now confused a bit as to what the Sport and Sport + button really does that is on my center console.
Funny you thought you had EDC, when you really just had normal dampers. Didn't you notice the sport button made zero difference in the handling and steering characteristics of the vehicle?

Without EDC, the sport button effects engine/trans characteristics (making them more sporty). If you had EDC, the sport button can effect the dampers/steering only, the engine/trans only, or both the dampers/steering depending on how you configure the settings.

At least without EDC, you have a larger selection replacement dampers.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 05:45 PM   #10
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Funny you thought you had EDC, when you really just had normal dampers. Didn't you notice the sport button made zero difference in the handling and steering characteristics of the vehicle?

Without EDC, the sport button effects engine/trans characteristics (making them more sporty). If you had EDC, the sport button can effect the dampers/steering only, the engine/trans only, or both the dampers/steering depending on how you configure the settings.

At least without EDC, you have a larger selection replacement dampers.
Yes, I did notice that when putting it in Sport mode, it certainly changed the engine/tranny and shift points but I only did that when we first bought the car so its been years since playing with it. I do know that when I put it in sport mode, the center display shows the chassis and highlights certain components in orange and then when I press the sport + it highlights other components and gives me a way to configure it but have never done so. Its an SUV, I don't need those modes and in fact never use the paddle shifters or move the tranny stick into the manual shift mode - for me its the wrong type of car for those features and is a waste on me. If I want to shift, I'll buy a standard tranny.
We only use the car for long trips and its all highway driving. You know how its said you don't miss something you never had? Well, now I'm glad I never had EDC
Appreciate 0