BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-22-2011, 08:06 PM   #23
Powerrunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2011

The sport seats offer great comfort on short and long drives. Not sure how the standard seat is on long rides.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 12:11 PM   #24
AlphaMendoza
Admiral
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI 20D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLittleUnit View Post
I stuck with the standard seats but added lumbar support. Super comfy and absolutely zero regrets about not getting the sport seats.

My oyster seats seem to have dark contrast stitching which I didn't expect but I do like. A little added bonus.
Why did you order Sports Seats on your new one then ?
I have a brand new LCI with Sports Seats and wished I had the standard. Back support and lateral support is fine but seat base is thin and hard - I am sore after 30 mins!
Yes I have tried every which way to adjust, and its the same for me in the passenger seat.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 04:21 PM   #25
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

I really like the sports seats, but certain older family members struggle to climb in over the very hard side bolster. Also I workout a lot in the gym and do find that even with the sides of the upper seat fully adjusted, they tend to cut into my back. For this reason, I am considering the X Line with standard seats. I would miss the nice looking sports seats though!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 05:54 PM   #26
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I find the sport seats great for a long trip. I do take my wallet out of my back pocket to avoid it digging in for hours. 8 hours and 500 miles, no problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 02:10 PM   #27
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 F25 28i; '13 E84 35i

+1 on the sport seats. The wife hates riding in my Pathfinder with cloth cushy seats. The movable lumbar is great and the thigh extension is also awesome. They support good posture, also.

We are average (170lb and 135lb, respectively).

It's a bummer that the sport seats aren't a stand alone option in some BMW cars and/or model lines.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #28
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodion View Post
Here 191 cm and 125 kg, with sport seats I feel a bit "squeezed", we took a 4 hour journey with test car. Hence I ordered std seats with electric lumbar adjustment.

Sport seats were ok for aggressive driving but too tight for me for long hauls...
Im 180cm/95Kg and find the standard seats fine for 4 hour runs, we did a 12 hour long trip and still was fine. The lumber adjustment works great. We did not get sports as my wife is smaller and found the sports seats too high when get out of the car.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 01:33 AM   #29
drmdvl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i, 2015 Macan Turbo

Garage List
They do take some getting used to
If you're new to German cars.
I would start with proper seating position then adjust as needed:
Seat height should be about 4 stacked finger widths from the top of your head to the headliner. Your seat should be moved forward so that your right knee is still bent with the brake pedal fully pressed (emergency braking pressure) - even closer if you have a clutch.
Your wheel should be forward enough you have a relaxed arm and your seat back should be forward enough you can lay your wrists on the top of the steering wheel without lifting your shoulders and upper back off the seat - this is a fairly forward seating position.
This will also help protect your neck from whiplash in the event of an accident - your head should not have to travel far to the headrest.

Someone else mentioned taking your wallet out of your back pocket - this is great for your hips and low back.

Good luck!
      11-10-2014, 02:38 PM   #30
Cinvinman
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3

Wallet in the back pocket is always problematic, unless it's the optional sport wallet.

Our issue with the seats is that they are not deep enough. They hit our legs mid thigh, which is uncomfortable on longer drives. We came from an '04 X5 with sport seats.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 09:38 PM   #31
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Hated the Sport seats, 6'3 190 pounds broad shouldered couldn't quite fit well and felt a bit claustrophobic, regular seats no issues comfortable not Lexus cushy and defiantly not Macan seats sublime. Everyone here needs to seat in a Macan to know what a good seat feels like, utterly brilliant
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #32
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75
Hated the Sport seats, 6'3 190 pounds broad shouldered couldn't quite fit well and felt a bit claustrophobic, regular seats no issues comfortable not Lexus cushy and defiantly not Macan seats sublime. Everyone here needs to seat in a Macan to know what a good seat feels like, utterly brilliant
Agreed. The 14 way seats are AMAZING. I've tried the 18-ways and while they're awesome, the 14-ways have enough lateral support for me. It's amazing how perfect the cushioning is. They look flat, but then you sit in them and feel right at home.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #33
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

+1 for Sport seats. The regular seats just aren't supportive enough. Add in the thigh extension and additional lumbar support and its a no brainer.

I'd add that they are considerably less restrictive than the E82/9x sport seats (I had an E90 w/ m Sport and an E92 M3).
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #34
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaMendoza View Post
Why did you order Sports Seats on your new one then ?
I have a brand new LCI with Sports Seats and wished I had the standard. Back support and lateral support is fine but seat base is thin and hard - I am sore after 30 mins!
Yes I have tried every which way to adjust, and its the same for me in the passenger seat.
Fair question. The comment you've quoted is over 3 years old and over time I've wanted a little bit more flexibility in the seat position plus a bit more lateral support. In particular I want the option to to change the angle of the seat base - my understanding is that it can be tilted on the sports seats and there's an extendable thigh rest. Ideally I'd have gone for the electrically adjustable seats but I can't afford them (or rather I'm limited in terms of how much I can add to the cost of a company car and other options are a higher priority for me).

Last edited by TuffLittleUnit; 11-11-2014 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 03:23 AM   #35
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
I have ordered sports seats

I have had both standard and sports seat on previous BMW's and to my mind the sports seats are far more comfortable and the adjustment of them particularly around the base angle and length adjustment .

I also find that the enhanced side bolsters are much better for stopping me sliding around.

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 06:35 AM   #36
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

Car buying is a frustrating thing for me. Unless something really negative jumps out to you during a test drive, you can't really get a good feeling for things that may not be noticed until you drive a car longer. Seats are a good example. How do you know if a seat will end up uncomfortable after an 8 hour trip unless you take one? For instance, I didn't even test drive the sports seats. There were other reasons that I didn't even test drive the M Sport. Luckily, the standard seats are fine for me. Maybe the sports would be even better? Or maybe they wouldn't fit me properly, like some people complain about.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 07:49 AM   #37
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
Well, here the Macan starts from 80 000 € (that is $ 100 000), so not really a contest for X3 starting from 50 000 € ($ 62500.

Volvo has too very good seats. And XC60 prices match X3. I wish I could get Volvo seat for my X3.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 12:31 PM   #38
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well, here the Macan starts from 80 000 € (that is $ 100 000), so not really a contest for X3 starting from 50 000 € ($ 62500.

Volvo has too very good seats. And XC60 prices match X3. I wish I could get Volvo seat for my X3.
I crosshopped the Macan and almost bought it, I am hoping the next Gen X3/4 they up their game interior wise especially the seats and materials, but the Tech in BMW is still miles ahead of Porsche. If you get a chance just visit a Porsche dealership and sit in the Macan and visualize what can Be, for BMW can deliver equal or better if they wanted look at the new X6 seats they are amazing!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #39
intercoms
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3

-1 on the sports seats. I like the look and the thigh support, but find the adjustable side bolstering too tight even on the widest setting. For everyday and long range driving, the standard seats are perfect for me (5'9).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp View Post
I really like the sports seats, but certain older family members struggle to climb in over the very hard side bolster. Also I workout a lot in the gym and do find that even with the sides of the upper seat fully adjusted, they tend to cut into my back. For this reason, I am considering the X Line with standard seats. I would miss the nice looking sports seats though!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 06:45 PM   #40
BXdriver
Four stripes vehicle commander
Norway
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 45e

Quote:

+1

Coming from the Volvo XC60 with std. seats to the X5 with Comfort Seats, I would rate Volvo seats as #1, and the X5 seats as #2 of ALL cars I have owned in my life.
Having had an extremely bad seat experience with the BMW X1 std. seats before the Volvo - I was super happy to give my back the relaxation it needed in the Volvo.
(And also "super happy" to get rid of the X1 due to this very reason, even it was just a few months old).

That said, I also tested the Macan with 14-way seats before picking the X5, and those seats felt extremely comfortable too.
Maybe even more so than the X5 Comfort seats, but as one mentioned in this thread - who can really feel the long term situation - on a short test drive.

Seats and sitting position is so highly individual, yet so important to be able to enjoy the vehicle, so it's surely a difficult part of new car shopping.

Finally, I still feel its a bit odd that I needed to get the very top seat model in the BMW (and therefore pay the top $ for this)...to just about equal the comfort in the std. Volvo seats...

Best
Bent
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #41
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXdriver View Post

Finally, I still feel its a bit odd that I needed to get the very top seat model in the BMW (and therefore pay the top $ for this)...to just about equal the comfort in the std. Volvo seats...

Best
Bent
With the advent of the Macan and possibly the Pajun this should give BMW a wake up call and you least get the better seats and a material to the definition level 3 and 4 of their lineup as a minimum in the next gen. On the other hand the drive of the XC60 has no comparison to the BMW I guess their are compromises one has to choose.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 02:47 PM   #42
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
With the advent of the Macan and possibly the Pajun this should give BMW a wake up call and you least get the better seats and a material to the definition level 3 and 4 of their lineup as a minimum in the next gen. On the other hand the drive of the XC60 has no comparison to the BMW I guess their are compromises one has to choose.
But as you wrote, it shouldn't be so. Heck, BMW could buy matching seats as Volvo has and keep the driveability and chassis the same.

One item I wish for the next gen X3 would be proper seats.

Otherwise I have to just wait for the lottery win to be able to buy X5 instead (Starting $ 120k here)
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #43
Crash Test
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

The comfort of my X3 seats are fine. What I don't like is that they seem to breath worse than any other car I've owned, so that on a hot summer day the back of my shirt is drenched in sweat.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 04:39 PM   #44
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
The comfort of my X3 seats are fine. What I don't like is that they seem to breath worse than any other car I've owned, so that on a hot summer day the back of my shirt is drenched in sweat.
Not sure it is worse than any other car we've owned, Crash, but I have to agree with you on the perspiration issue, even with A/C on Auto at 72 degrees. Which is why the 'ventilated seats' in the G01 3rd Gen are going to be the first option we click in 2016-7
Appreciate 0