BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
iFroze
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

Auto headlamp problem + US manual for Canadian X3 market

My Automatic headlamp control is behaving strangely. The knob is in automatic position which usually results in the lights being on no matter how bright it is outside. Most of the time while the car is driven under a sunny sky, no shadows around, no dirt or stickies on the windshield (I understand that the sensor is located on the front of the interior rearview mirror), still the low beams are switched on.

I went to the "Settings" -> "Lighting" but find no option to select or deselect "Daytime running lamps". I know that Canada requires DRL always to be on, but why we were given the manual that it does not apply to Canadian cars? (Also, I have noticed the picture on the manual shows 2 buttons next to BC on the turn signal lever which is different the way it's on the Canadian x3).

1. Any suggestion to what to do to make the automatic headlamp sensor to respond accordingly to the outside world?

2. Is there any notice in the manual that says that these functions only apply to US and not to Canada?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

This happened to me once as well. Started out in my parking structure and the headlights were on but they never switched off in broad daylight (no sensor obstructions either). Next time I drove the car the auto function worked perfectly. I've chalked it up to a software glitch for now. As for the DRL, I haven't really tried futzing with it nor have I spent a great deal of time with the manual so can't help you there...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

The DRL setting, for vehicles that have it, enables or disables the corona rings for use as daytime running lights. It has no impact on the headlights themselves.

I believe the two buttons is depicting a stalk on a vehicle with automatic high beams. Mine also has only one button.