BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
geordie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Angry Walk away locking?

I thought that when you turned the vehicle off and walked away with the key that it would lock itself and turn off the radio? I found out when coming back to the x3 later on it was still unlocked with the radio playing

Seems like having to dig out the key to lock only when you can unlock and start the x3 without the key is a bit weird? Is there a setting I'm missing?

And just by way of a rant, the keys are getting stupid huge from BMW now, this thing is a brick!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie View Post
I thought that when you turned the vehicle off and walked away with the key that it would lock itself and turn off the radio? I found out when coming back to the x3 later on it was still unlocked with the radio playing

Seems like having to dig out the key to lock only when you can unlock and start the x3 without the key is a bit weird? Is there a setting I'm missing?

And just by way of a rant, the keys are getting stupid huge from BMW now, this thing is a brick!
What if you didn't want to lock the car?!? E.g. Passenger inside, loading luggage etc? It locks when you press unlock or touch handle if you have CA. The stereo will shut itself off after about 10 minutes if you leave it on

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
geordie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

That poor passenger lol

So with comfort access just touch to lock hey...must...read...manual
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
That poor passenger lol

Couldn't have said it better, RTFM.
      06-22-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Remember it's an expensive "brick". Replacement cost for a X3 remote key is $350 plus another $150 for programming. That little brick is not worth its weight in gold, but is worth more than if it were made from solid silver.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 06:13 AM   #6
ssn007
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Sort of on the subject. There is a setting to have the car auto lock when you walk away, but I have never been able to get it to work on mine. couldn't get it to work on my old 335i either so assume I am doing something wrong?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

Well you can lock the car by touching the ridges on the door handle.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
colton_matthias
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajgavoury View Post
Or press the BMW logo on ur key fob
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #9
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajgavoury View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton_matthias View Post
Or press the BMW logo on ur key fob
Or if you leave the window open a crack you can take a stick and press the lock/unlock button on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #10
X3inator
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssn007 View Post
Sort of on the subject. There is a setting to have the car auto lock when you walk away, but I have never been able to get it to work on mine. couldn't get it to work on my old 335i either so assume I am doing something wrong?
the auto-lock is the have the car lock when you start driving, correct?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #11
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
That poor passenger lol

Yep, always a good place to start. I usually download the manual as soon as I place my order, so reading and re-reading it is a nice way to enjoy the anticipation. Although, fat lot of good that did me on the wipers!

Quote:
I think you may be referring to the re-lock function. You can select to have the vehicle re-lock itself if you unlock it but do not open any doors for n seconds. This is a good safety feature in such cases as... walking to the car - unlock it as you approach - remember you forgot something on your desk.... you get the idea.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 12:07 AM   #12
ssn007
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Yep, always a good place to start. I usually download the manual as soon as I place my order, so reading and re-reading it is a nice way to enjoy the anticipation. Although, fat lot of good that did me on the wipers!

I think you may be referring to the re-lock function. You can select to have the vehicle re-lock itself if you unlock it but do not open any doors for n seconds. This is a good safety feature in such cases as... walking to the car - unlock it as you approach - remember you forgot something on your desk.... you get the idea.
yes, it is suppose to lock itself after getting out. worked at the dealer when I picked it up but has not since then. it's called "lock if no door is opened" you leave car walk away and it auto locks. box is checked but no luck, might be a profile setting, likely something I am screwing up. page 39 of US manual.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 12:35 AM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
yes, it is suppose to lock itself after getting out. worked at the dealer when I picked it up but has not since then. it's called "lock if no door is opened" you leave car walk away and it auto locks. box is checked but no luck, might be a profile setting, likely something I am screwing up. page 39 of US manual.
As I understand it, this is only if you unlock the car and then don't open any of the doors, then it will lock again (standard on lots of cars). There is no unlock the car, open doors, get in, close doors, drive around, get out, auto lock function, as far as I know, and with good reason as you can't be sure that this is the driver's intention

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 06:22 AM   #14
ssn007
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
As I understand it, this is only if you unlock the car and then don't open any of the doors, then it will lock again (standard on lots of cars). There is no unlock the car, open doors, get in, close doors, drive around, get out, auto lock function, as far as I know, and with good reason as you can't be sure that this is the driver's intention
Ya even though it's a selectable setting, not default, I could see that being a bit of a pain if you were loading / unloading and you had the auto lock set. I will have to see if it works as relock.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 06:37 AM   #15
ssn007
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

update, works exactly as you said, thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 10:25 AM   #16
Itchywasabi
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
Or if you leave the window open a crack you can take a stick and press the lock/unlock button on the dash.
... if it's closed, break your window with a baseball bat and reach for the lock/unlock button on the dash.
Appreciate 0