BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
silverforumsurf
Private
Rep
Drives: To Buy

Power Liftgate, Topview and Premium Sound (USA)

Finalising the options I want.. How important and useful are these three options?

Is the door hard to close without the lifegate (I'll be using the trunk once/week max).
Does topview make is much easier to park than the regular rear camera?
And premium sound in USA, is it much more "surround" sounding than the stock sound - I don't listen to sound very loudly but would like decent quality.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
Powerrunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2011

I have all 3 of these options and I the one I enjoy the most by far is the premium sound system. The power liftgate is nice, sometimes I forget that I have the power option and just slam it closed, no big deal and the top view is handy by I also find myself just using the rear camera.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf View Post
Finalising the options I want.. How important and useful are these three options?

Is the door hard to close without the lifegate (I'll be using the trunk once/week max).
I doubt the tailgate is that much harder to close than any other tailgate but I could understand if someone has an injury it would be helpful. Also I don't believe the power tailgate can be used in conjunction with convenient access meaning you can't close the tailgate with your key.

Quote:
Does topview make is much easier to park than the regular rear camera?
Topview also shows views from the side and it's helpful in situations like gauging how close you are from the curb and avoid scratching your rims.

Quote:
And premium sound in USA, is it much more "surround" sounding than the stock sound - I don't listen to sound very loudly but would like decent quality.
The stock sound system is pretty good as is and has decent sound quality. $875 for a upgraded sound system is a good price but if you don't listen to music very often then there's really no point in adding the option.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
rs6655
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 X3 (MT)

Ours is a 2009 with Premium Sound and we're glad we got it. Our 2007 328i didn't have it and the difference was dramatic.

Well worth the extra cost in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Top View and rear camera are part of the same package, so that's really a moot question. If you're asking about the PDC and camera, they are indeed very usefull. Think of a toddler wandering behind your vehicle... just once.

Premium hi-fi really depends on your taste and perceived value. The stock system is respectable. But we have premium in our X5 and it is awesome. Might depend on how much time you plan to spend in the car and your degree of pickiness.

The hatch closes easily by hand, but the power closing/opening is handy when you have hands full, etc. There is also a "close and lock the vehicle" button which is handy.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #6
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Highly recommend the sound system. It's not about loud, it's about quality at the volume you listen. Didn't get it on one car and regretted it very much and we're not audiophiles by any stretch.

I use and enjoy the power liftgate regularly and top view multiple times daily. I could get by without them, but find them useful.
      04-16-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
Batman2000
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E53 X5/F25 X3

I'm 6'1" and sometimes the hatch seems to be quite heavy to pull down. If I had the power liftgate option here where I live I would have taken it with no doubt.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 11:30 PM   #8
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

I thought top view was only avail with navigation or tech pkg?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 11:37 PM   #9
Ultimate Driver
Rep
Drives: X3

Top View Camera - very useful and could save you money. I have been careless in the past and had to dish out $$ for rim repairs. Besides as someone commented it provides an added level of safety with kids wandering, when backing up.

Power Liftgate - nice to have and helps when you are carrying in packages or groceries.

Premium sound - depends on how important it is to you. I enjoy it but I am not a huge music afficionado so probably could live w/o it.

If I had to choose just one, I would go with the camera but all of them have merit.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 12:05 AM   #10
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Top View Camera - I gave this a lot of thought and finally decided that the Rear View camera met almost all of my needs. However, I'd certainly get one or the other.

Power Liftgate - As almost everyone has said "nice to have and helps when you are carrying packages or groceries" I was "on the fence"on this one since I'd never had one before. Sooo glad I decided to get it. It's very useful and is being used more than I ever thought it would be. Being able to pop the tailgate open on a rainy day as you approach the car with while carrying stuff is really worth the option cost. Only had it a couple of months but now am completely spoiled. Love it!

Premium Sound - I am very particular about sound and listened to the premium system in (2) 35i demo cars . It's obviously better, but to my ears just is not worth the premium price. I listen to about 90% classical and 10% jazz and for me, any car system is so far from a decent high-end home system that you are constantly reminded that you're in a vehicle. For me the premium system is like listening at 15% of reality and the base system is like 12%. The improvement does not justify the cost, but that's strictly a personal valuation.

Last edited by Lotus7; 04-17-2011 at 12:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 07:02 AM   #11
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
This thread raises a question for me... regarding the top view cameras. According to the configurator, top view is included with backup camera in the tech pack... but from some posts, is seems folks are making an "either/or" choice. Am I missing something? It is not listed as a S/A option...

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 07:42 AM   #12
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
This thread raises a question for me... regarding the top view cameras. According to the configurator, top view is included with backup camera in the tech pack... but from some posts, is seems folks are making an "either/or" choice. Am I missing something? It is not listed as a S/A option...
The either/or choice is the Tech package with top view + rear view or the lower cost rear view only.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 08:46 AM   #13
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
The either/or choice is the Tech package with top view + rear view or the lower cost rear view only.
Gotcha. Confirms my assumption.

BTW...

Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 09:52 AM   #14
BXM3W
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 RX

I'm also on the fence with the Premium sound. For those of you that have it, are there other bells and whistles that come with premium vs standard other than the better quality and greater power? For instance, it comes with speed-dependent equalization, does that work well?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 10:01 AM   #15
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Speed Dependant Volume is a standard feature, regardless of whether you have premium or stock audio.

Speed Dependant EQ? I assume you meant volume.... would be really weird. Although it would be nice if all cars had a "turn of the f*cking bass when you're below 45 MPH"... for those thumpers out there...

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #16
BXM3W
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 RX

Speed dependent equalization is what they call it on the website. My assumption is they meant volume.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #17
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 430xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
I doubt the tailgate is that much harder to close than any other tailgate but I could understand if someone has an injury it would be helpful. Also I don't believe the power tailgate can be used in conjunction with convenient access meaning you can't close the tailgate with your key.

Topview also shows views from the side and it's helpful in situations like gauging how close you are from the curb and avoid scratching your rims.

The stock sound system is pretty good as is and has decent sound quality. $875 for a upgraded sound system is a good price but if you don't listen to music very often then there's really no point in adding the option.

It is true that the power tailgate does not close with the remote, as I just tried it. Must be a safety issue. Opening it with the remote works fine.

It is a bit more difficult to close the power tailgate by hand, due to the pressure in the struts. But why do this, when you can just push the button on the bottom of the tailgate and start walking. Its another one of those things (like Convenience Access) that you get used to, very quickly.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #18
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanintx View Post
It is true that the power tailgate does not close with the remote, as I just tried it. Must be a safety issue. Opening it with the remote works fine.

It is a bit more difficult to close the power tailgate by hand, due to the pressure in the struts. But why do this, when you can just push the button on the bottom of the tailgate and start walking. Its another one of those things (like Convenience Access) that you get used to, very quickly.
Definately a safety issue. The remote can work around corners, etc. where you wouldn't be able see the baby you were crushing in the tailgate.

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #19
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanintx View Post

I would have gotten the power tailgate option, but didn’t want to delay my delivery.
I’ve been closing my hatch on the X3 for about 8 years now, so it doesn’t bother me.
The only time I will really wish I have it is in the winter when it is filthy due to the slush.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 10:27 PM   #20
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXM3W View Post
Speed dependent equalization is what they call it on the website. My assumption is they meant volume.
I think the frequencies of the ambient noise changecwith speed so the system changes equalization of the sound to compensate.
      06-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #21
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

The power tailgate is really not necessary unless you load/unload from the truck often but the top view is very useful for me since I live in the city and do an insane amount of parking. The sound is really not worth it if you don't listen to music often, I mostly have my music turned off so I can hear the amazing sound of the engine. The standard sound is pretty decent too.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 06:35 AM   #22
battler
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 30d 2012; 328 F30 AW

Got all 3 and it's all great. Wife loves topview because it makes parking that much easier and the auto tailgate is great too and we can even set how high it opens via idrive (which is handy as we have a low garage). Oh premium sound is great too! Get all 3
Appreciate 0