BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
Irish-Texan
BannerMan
Ireland
Rep
Drives: X3 35i MSport / X1 28ix MSport

Electrical/mechanical malfunctions awaiting diagnosis

X3 has had a series of events which occured on start-up.
Latest was doors self-locking after opening the drivers door (have keyless entry). On starting the engine the automatic tailgate self opened and the front windshield wipers started continuous operation. All warning lights on dash illuminated and "windshield wiper malfunction" message appeared. Tailgate would only close by pulling it down manually. After shutting down the engine there were a succession of noises from the X3 doing some sort of "self correcting/self diagnosing". Waited a few minutes and started up without incident. Booked into dealer for inspection/analysis later this week.
This comes a week after another series of events while driving. Hazards flashing three times repeatedly, front wipers stopping and starting, warning lights coming on and off across the dash display. On stopping the tailgate opened by itself and could only be closed by manual pressure.
Dealer could only diagnose a faulty tailgate lock actuator, and replaced same.
Suggestion that battery charge may have been low also (unlikely). Unless the vehicle is somehow leaking power this should not be a factor this time around.
In the weeks prior there were a few occasions when the doors self locked when someone opened the passenger doors while I was already in the drivers seat, but before engine start-up.
Will report back when dealer diagnoses cause and the solution.
Anyone else suffer from these electro-mechanical gremlins?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Maybe it's related to one of the four of these TSB's:

http://www.automd.com/recall-tsb/sea...L+SYSTEM&s=tsb
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
jdg857
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 XDrive 35d

I also had some issues with the liftgate popping open at strange times. the dealer diagnosed as Junction Box Electronic malfunction and gave me the copy of the attached service bulletin. It can also affect wipers, etc. The service bulletin also says on page two that the remedy is a forthcoming upgrade to psdzdata 2.47.0, which was supposed to be released in June 2012, but has yet to be received by my dealer. My Service Adviser is supposed to call me when I can get the update.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SI B61 02 12.pdf (380.2 KB, 292 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 12:56 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

This sounds similar to this http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545806

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0