BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-21-2011, 03:54 AM   #1
JordanWindebank
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 20d (2011)

Profile Settings

Hi everyone, Mrs W just asked a question that I couldn't answer and am hoping you guys can.

What settings exactly are saved with a users profile? I know it saves seat position if you have electric seats but what else us personalized please?

Thanks,
Jordan
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 06:11 AM   #2
Almigurt
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci

..as far as I know there are a couple of other settings tied to your profile:

- Customized keys on the radio (shortcuts to any function like navigation, radio station, profile, etc..)
- HUD settings
- seat position
- door auto lock

Almi
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

-outside mirror positions
-personal cellphone directory (if paired)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Radio stations for sure. I learned the hard way. My wife used my key to drive her 535i one day and all her stations were gone. Man did I catch hell! Put her key in. Problem solved. "A happy wife is a happy life!"
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

On some BMW's it also sets the climate control.
Is this true for the F25?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

I believe the full list is:

Exterior Mirror Position
CD/Multimedia settings
Dynamic Driving Control (if so equipped)
Driver's Seat Position
Programmable Memory Button Settings
Head-up Display, brightness and position (if so equipped)
Headlamp Courtesy Delay (time)
Sound System Tone settings
Automatic Climate Control (if so equipped)
Navigation (views, routes, voice output, etc) (if so equipped)
Park Distance Control (volume, signal tone) (if so equipped)
Radio Stored Stations
Backup Camera Functions (if so equipped)
Control Display Language
Triple Turn Signal Activation
Daytime Running Lights
Vehicle Locking

I think that about covers it.

The language setting is especially nice. If you give the second key to a valet for parking, you could program it to change all the display settings to another language for fun.

Hope this makes Mrs. W. happy!

Personal choice of exterior paint color and M-Sport pkg. switching will be added as future profile settings and well as soccer-mom image option.

Last edited by Lotus7; 04-21-2011 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I was going to reply to this earlier on today and then I thought no, Lotus will reply and it will be an exhaustive list. Then I read his first reply and thought someone else must have his login! lol

Normal service was resumed with his second post! Excellent

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Phone rang while writing the first post. Hit "Submit Reply" via reflex action.
Wish my X3 key could also log in and change the profile settings on my computer when I sit down in front of it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
teegee
Rep
Drives: F25 35i

What happens when you have two keys in the car? Not usual I grant you, but today my wife is driving to pick me up at work, then I'll be driving somewhere after that... I guess the car picks up the settings of the one that opens it? We have the smart key, so I guess we'll have to press the button to open to make sure the correct seetings are picked up??

Anyone know for sure?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 06:49 PM   #10
JordanWindebank
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegee View Post
What happens when you have two keys in the car? Not usual I grant you, but today my wife is driving to pick me up at work, then I'll be driving somewhere after that... I guess the car picks up the settings of the one that opens it? We have the smart key, so I guess we'll have to press the button to open to make sure the correct seetings are picked up??

Anyone know for sure?
I am fairly sure I read that it is the key that unlocked the door.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 11:43 PM   #11
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

It is set by the last key that pressed unlock. You can switch profiles by unlocking with the other key even if the car is already unlocked. You can also switch user profile on iDrive

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 12:58 AM   #12
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
It is set by the last key that pressed unlock. You can switch profiles by unlocking with the other key even if the car is already unlocked. You can also switch user profile on iDrive
As noted, the last key used to open the door selects the profile. You can actually name the two key profiles using iDrive, and there is a third "guest" profile for when you want to let someone else drive the car with your key, but don't want their seat and mirror changes to be stored in your profile which will happen if they change the settings without first selecting "guest".

Another common situation in which you might need to use iDrive to change profiles to something other than the one used to unlock and start the car is if you and the other key holder both have your paired phones in the car and the second keyholder (the one not used to unlock) wants to use the car communication system with their phone. The phone directory will initially be for the first key, but will change, and therefore allow the second key holder to access their phone directory when the iDrive profile is changed.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 08:49 PM   #13
teegee
Rep
Drives: F25 35i

Awesome, thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 11:55 PM   #14
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

What happens with the comfort package, when you open a door just by touching it?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 01:02 AM   #15
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijioben View Post
What happens with the comfort package, when you open a door just by touching it?
Then you can switch profiles by clicking your fingers

I think it's the same once you're both inside: iDrive or unlock button on your key fob

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 03:56 AM   #16
JordanWindebank
Private
Rep

OK one more odd scenario. If you have electric seats, will changing the profile on the iDrive whilst you're driving move the seats?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 10:11 AM   #17
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanWindebank View Post
OK one more odd scenario. If you have electric seats, will changing the profile on the iDrive whilst you're driving move the seats?
Haven't tried it, but believe this is true (the seat will likely move). If my X3 was not incarcerated at the BMW dealership, I'd try it to confirm.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #18
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanWindebank View Post
If changing to my wife's profile wouldn't mean my legs were crushed and I would likeły crash the car, I would also try this for you!

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #19
sblove
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i

This may be a dumb question, but how exactly do you create profiles? Is it really only via phone as my dealer told me? Because if that's the case, my BB won't do the trick. Help!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #20
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblove View Post
This may be a dumb question, but how exactly do you create profiles? Is it really only via phone as my dealer told me? Because if that's the case, my BB won't do the trick. Help!
Profiles are tied to each key fob and I think you can create extra profiles on iDrive but you would have to manually switch to these whereas switching to a profile tied to a key is just a case of unlocking.

You don't necessarily "create", it just remembers your contacts, seat positions, mirror positions, favourite buttons etc

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #21
cybercord
cybercord
Rep
Drives: 2010 E60 Prem, Sports, Conv

Ok, a twist on the question. I have just purchased a 2008, no Idrive function. I understand the memory functions, but how to I get the doors to lock after I start moving forward. Also this should be in the owner manual, but it is not in there. Will be seeing dealer tomorrow.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #22
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybercord View Post
Ok, a twist on the question. I have just purchased a 2008, no Idrive function. I understand the memory functions, but how to I get the doors to lock after I start moving forward. Also this should be in the owner manual, but it is not in there. Will be seeing dealer tomorrow.

Thanks
You may want to post to the First Generation X3 General Forum.
Appreciate 0