BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-28-2011, 05:01 AM   #1
cwilkie
Rep
Drives: X3

Smile X3 - Very Happy Owner!!

Hi all,

So I finally took delivery of my X3 a couple of weeks ago, and could not be happier!

Went for the X3 2.0d. Sapphire Black, M Sport Package, dynamic suspension, premium sound, etc etc. Only thing I missed were the power folding mirrors (as per a previous thread) but I have not had occasion to use them!

Bought the new Thule Aero bars, and a Thule roofbox for carting around snowboarding kit. Photo attached.

The drive is great. Much better than I could have imagined for this size of car. I currently have winter wheels (17's) fitted, and had a couple of very snowy drives up to the mountains. No issue at all, and did not need to break out the chains! The 2.0d engine is actually perfect for my needs. Living in Switzerland with very strict speed control, I didn't want something that would tempt me too much. Besides, this is an SUV, and I have my motorbikes when I really have to let loose. The engine has plenty torque for driving around the mountains, and shifting quickly around the city. Only noticeable lack in power is when maxing out at motorway limits. No big deal for me.

Went for the M kit for looks alone. I may not have the 3.5d to match, but don't care

My wife is no car fan, especially not BMW (don't ask why). However, this is the first car she really loves to drive. Driving position, visibily, feel from the engine are all great. She finds this much improved from our previous 320d touring.

If anyone is on the fence about buying this car, jump straight over....it is awesome
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 05:14 AM   #2
DEVM
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: X3-35d 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilkie View Post
Hi all,

So I finally took delivery of my X3 a couple of weeks ago, and could not be happier!

Went for the X3 2.0d. Sapphire Black, M Sport Package, dynamic suspension, premium sound, etc etc. Only thing I missed were the power folding mirrors (as per a previous thread) but I have not had occasion to use them!

Bought the new Thule Aero bars, and a Thule roofbox for carting around snowboarding kit. Photo attached.

The drive is great. Much better than I could have imagined for this size of car. I currently have winter wheels (17's) fitted, and had a couple of very snowy drives up to the mountains. No issue at all, and did not need to break out the chains! The 2.0d engine is actually perfect for my needs. Living in Switzerland with very strict speed control, I didn't want something that would tempt me too much. Besides, this is an SUV, and I have my motorbikes when I really have to let loose. The engine has plenty torque for driving around the mountains, and shifting quickly around the city. Only noticeable lack in power is when maxing out at motorway limits. No big deal for me.

Went for the M kit for looks alone. I may not have the 3.5d to match, but don't care

My wife is no car fan, especially not BMW (don't ask why). However, this is the first car she really loves to drive. Driving position, visibily, feel from the engine are all great. She finds this much improved from our previous 320d touring.

If anyone is on the fence about buying this car, jump straight over....it is awesome
Nice picture and good looking car :-)
I'm still waiting for mine x3 to arrive. Promised delivery in december, but now delivery will be early märz. When did you order and how long was your wait? I live in züri as well. I can't stand that we have to pay twice as much compared to the usa and have to wait 6 months or longer for delivery...

Enjoy your ride. Cheers
      12-28-2011, 05:36 AM   #3
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

Good write up - I have read several threads from apline users of the F25 who are enjoying the flexible use of the vehicle and enjoying the winter driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 06:17 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Congrats! Great to see another X3 in the snow. I want some snow to try out mine with! 11C where I am now and not a single snowflake has fallen this winter . Bound to happen the moment I fitted winter tyres!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 06:38 AM   #5
rd450
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

Thule roofbox

Hey cwilkie, looks great.

If you don't mind me asking what model is the Thule roof box as I too am looking to fit one.

Did you go for the aero roof bars ?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
cwilkie
Rep

I also had a loooooong wait! Ordered back in April as far as I remember. Was worth the wait though. Agree about the price in CH....best to never look at US prices

We have been lucky to finally get snow. Very late start to the season though, just hope it keeps coming.

The roof bars are indeed the Aero model. The box is the new Thule Motion 800. Perfect fit for the car. I can easily fit 4 boards with bindings..and probably more if I pack the thing correctly!!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
mistermagoo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 x35i, 2015 X5 x35i

Good looking vehicle. I must agree, the X3 is a great handling vehicle in both dry and inclement weather. Wife and I decided to drive to Toronto for Christmas with her family this past weekend, just so we can break-in our new 2012 X3 35i. I was hoping for snow, but got tons of rain on the way back. Car felt bolted to the ground the entire time. Glad I bought this car... for my wife.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #8
cwilkie
Rep

More snow.....

And just so you can see the conditions I had to drive back in, I have attached another couple of pictures.

We simply cleared the snow from the windows in the carpark, and drove straight off. Other cars were being pushed, or having snowchains mounted....not the mighty X3 Pulled away without a single wheelspin!

The second pic is from the car, looking down the road we were driving (Tannenboden - Flumserberg). Once again, not a single slip...excellent handling.

The motorway was also covered in snow all the way back home, but didn't manage to get any pics then, was too busy concentrating!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 08:51 AM   #9
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

That is some serious snow. Pleased to hear the X3 is doing the business!!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #10
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Do you have it with manual or automatic gearbox?

Nice winter pictures. No snow up here in the North (Helsinki)!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #11
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Nice pics and nice to know the X3 plowed thru that stuff. Sure looks like the skiing and/or boarding was fantastic. Not so here. I cancelled my trip to Utah. Not worth it yet. What make/model of snow tires are on the X?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #12
Dr Goethe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

What brand/model/size winter tires and snow chains did you use? They clearly worked well!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #13
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

Great winter pictures - looks like you are snow bound but a single picture can easily fool others.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #14
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Now I know where all the snow went!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 12:25 AM   #15
cwilkie
Rep

Yes, plenty of snow then. But sadly warming up by the weekend. I hope it comes back with a vengeance!

I have an automatic gearbox. This is incredibly smooth, and never found myself to be wishing for a manual.

Don't have new snowchains yet actually, still have to purchase. Had for my old car, but they won't fit the new wheels. Not sure what new ones to get, so if anyone has any recommendations?

The tyres are Dunlops, although not run-flat. Dealer was unable to get the Pirelli run-flats I originally requested, as they were out of stock. I did however get a free compressor I will have to check the exact model, but they are 225/60-17 99 H. Pirelli would have been my first choice, but the Dunlops seem to be excellent so far!

Sorry to hear the Utah trip was cancelled, wish you a very snowy New Year!!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 05:45 AM   #16
Ben Lee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 528i and BMW X3

Wow... Very snowy weather. Comng from the tropics, I can't imagine how life will be like to live with so much snow. Glad you like your new X3, great car isn't it?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #17
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
. Bound to happen the moment I fitted winter tyres!
Sods law isn't it. However historically the main chill comes in Feb, we've just got used to it being Dec the last couple of years... so you may get some hard core use out of them yet!
      12-31-2011, 05:30 AM   #18
khaiql
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 2012 30D

Hi everyone,

To the OP, what specific model code are the Thule aero bars and mounts? Hoping to get them on a sale before delivery of the car (just ordered my X3 but won't get delivered until mid-April).

Thanks,

Khai
Appreciate 0