BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #45
BBMk
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 BMW newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beto_L.A. View Post
I have a 2012 X3 NO NAV. I use a 120gb CLASSIC IPod with the Y cable and no art work shows on the screen...I haven't tried the white cable, what is the chance I will see art work????
I am not sure since...I technically do not have my Apple Classic working yet...however, based on the above posts I think the Apple tags are corrupt or missing. Try using a program mentioned in the above post or a free ID3 tagger to re-tag all your MP3s properly. If your tagging program reads your MP3s and no artwork is associated with the files then the tags are missing.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #46
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

As has been mentioned, you can't trust Apple to tag your album artwork correctly. Just because it shows in iTunes, doesn't mean it will work in the car. Nothing to do with the cable you use. You should only need the white USB cable if you have the tech package. Tag your albums properly so that the artwork is embedded (don't trust iTunes to do it) and iDrive will show the artwork. Test it with one album and see how you get on

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #47
litt
Private
Rep
Drives: Raptor, Macan S, M5C

Anyone know of a good m3u playlist creator?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 01:08 PM   #48
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by litt View Post
Anyone know of a good m3u playlist creator?
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=627260
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #49
khaiql
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 2012 30D

Hi everyone,

Just picked up my 30D today and my initial excitement has waned slightly as I was really looking forward to having artwork displayed when playing MP3s. I have tried looking through all the menus in IDrive and reading all the hints in this thread so far but nothing seems to enable me to show artwork.

My car does not have any sat-nav and I am just using a USB stick in the centre console tray. Note that I don't have the option of split-screen appearing on IDrive if this makes any difference. I have embedded the artwork with MP3Tag and this displays perfectly on my computer.

Could it be that the artwork is too large that it can't be displayed(500x500), or something else?

Khai
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #50
swallowtail
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Competition DCT

500 x 500 should be fine. No split screen is fine too.

If you select the file in Windows Explorer does the artwork appear at the bottom of the Explorer window with the file info, or the logo for the program that opens it?

My 64GB USB has 4600 songs on, a mixture of MP3s and M4As, all of them show artwork on the X3. It takes 8 seconds after the song starts before it displays.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #51
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaiql View Post
Hi everyone,

Just picked up my 30D today and my initial excitement has waned slightly as I was really looking forward to having artwork displayed when playing MP3s. I have tried looking through all the menus in IDrive and reading all the hints in this thread so far but nothing seems to enable me to show artwork.

My car does not have any sat-nav and I am just using a USB stick in the centre console tray. Note that I don't have the option of split-screen appearing on IDrive if this makes any difference. I have embedded the artwork with MP3Tag and this displays perfectly on my computer.

Could it be that the artwork is too large that it can't be displayed(500x500), or something else?

Khai
I've used MP3Tag and found it rock solid when other tagging programs failed. You might take a look at what version the ID tag is tagging. If a newer one you might try 'saving as" to an older version.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 10:40 PM   #52
swallowtail
Private
Australia
Rep

I use MP3Tag default ID tag versions with no problems at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #53
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swallowtail View Post
I use MP3Tag default ID tag versions with no problems at all.
I don't use MP3Tag anymore only JRiver Media 17. Maybe you could let khaigl know what version the ID3 tag is the defaulting to thats working for you, ie 2.3, 2.4.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #54
swallowtail
Private
Australia
Rep

OK, will have a look tonight and post back.

Pretty sure from memory that the MP3s have a range of tags... I'll see what ones are on there though. I do know that in about 400 songs played so far since I have put the USB in teh car, that none have not had artwork show.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 04:09 AM   #55
khaiql
Australia
Rep

I am using ID3v2.3. As some above posted, should I be using an earlier version instead? I might give it a try anyway and report back with the results.

PS. In Windows Explorer, I get the artwork as an icon and a small winamp logo in the bottom right corner to show it is a shortcut.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #56
swallowtail
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaiql
I am using ID3v2.3. As some above posted, should I be using an earlier version instead? I might give it a try anyway and report back with the results.

PS. In Windows Explorer, I get the artwork as an icon and a small winamp logo in the bottom right corner to show it is a shortcut.
So it's definitely embedded correctly. Seems odd. I haven't been able to check tags on mine this evening, will do tomorrow.
      04-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #57
khaiql
Australia
Rep

Quote:
So it's definitely embedded correctly. Seems odd. I haven't been able to check tags on mine this evening, will do tomorrow.
I appreciate your effort. Getting sick of only seeing the title and artist on the centre console. Also do you know if is there a way to scroll long song titles or multiple titles with same name (eg. Again~1, Again~2, etc)?

edit: adding an earlier ID3 tag version still makes no difference.

Last edited by khaiql; 04-23-2012 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #58
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Changing the ID3 version to an older version was a shot in the dark.

When you are in Windows Explorer with medium icons, is the artwork showing as the file icon? If you open WMP is the artwork showing here? If the artwork is showing there, have you synced using WMP? Like I said before, MP3Tag always work perfect for me. Also, there is a WMP program from Microsoft called Tag Editor Plus which gives you better options to edit. There maybe a problem between programs with the mapping of categories on the ID3 tags. Here are a couple of links showing the different categories of programs and where they place information.

http://www.matroska.org/technical/sp...paretable.html

http://age.hobba.nl/audio/tag_frame_reference.html

Not sure if this is pertinent, but when you choose external devices, and then choose the "option" button by the knob, have a you chosen "Music Information Import/Export", then "Ok"?

BTW Here's my vote for the best displayed artwork. The parallelogram looks really cool with the optical illusions.
Attached Images

Last edited by Radioactive; 04-23-2012 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 04:52 AM   #59
swallowtail
Private
Australia
Rep

My MP3s are tagged v2.4. They all show up fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #60
khaiql
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
When you are in Windows Explorer with medium icons, is the artwork showing as the file icon? If you open WMP is the artwork showing here? If the artwork is showing there, have you synced using WMP?

Not sure if this is pertinent, but when you choose external devices, and then choose the "option" button by the knob, have a you chosen "Music Information Import/Export", then "Ok"?
Explorer and WMP both show the artwork correctly. However, I have no idea how you "sync" using WMP... I just copied the embedded MP3s directly onto the USB stick.

In iDrive, I do not have any off the options that you mention to import/export music information (I only have the basic centre console without any sat-nav or hard-drive).
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #61
swallowtail
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaiql
Quote:
When you are in Windows Explorer with medium icons, is the artwork showing as the file icon? If you open WMP is the artwork showing here? If the artwork is showing there, have you synced using WMP?

Explorer and WMP both show the artwork correctly. However, I have no idea how you "sync" using WMP... I just copied the embedded MP3s directly onto the USB stick.

In iDrive, I do not have any off the options that you mention to import/export music information (I only have the basic centre console without any sat-nav or hard-drive).
Maybe that one doesn't do artwork? If they show in explorer with the artwork it should be fine. I didn't sync anything either, just copied them all to the USB.

Perhaps you need the extended USB option to display it. Mine has that option I know that much.
      04-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #62
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe that one doesn't do artwork? If they show in explorer with the artwork it should be fine. I didn't sync anything either, just copied them all to the USB.

Perhaps you need the extended USB option to display it. Mine has that option I know that much.
+1

Our iDrive options are different here in the states then what you have. I'm sorry for your sake, but swallowtail may just have it right. You just may have a "Plain Hamburger". Perhaps you should give your sales person a call to verify.

As far as WMP sync'ing, don't worry about it. I'm just trying to find the program that will probably do the least harm when transfering. But as swallowtail mentioned, if your artwork is showing up, everything should be good.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #63
khaiql
Australia
Rep

Quote:
+1

Our iDrive options are different here in the states then what you have. I'm sorry for your sake, but swallowtail may just have it right. You just may have a "Plain Hamburger". Perhaps you should give your sales person a call to verify.

As far as WMP sync'ing, don't worry about it. I'm just trying to find the program that will probably do the least harm when transfering. But as swallowtail mentioned, if your artwork is showing up, everything should be good.
What a shame Well thank you Swallowtail and Radioactive for looking into this for me. You've both been extremely helpful.

OFF TOPIC RANT: I just wish BMW makes it clearer when ordering the car what things are left out or included. Also don't like how much BMW options cost over here in Australia... buy an 80K car (after nearly 10K discounting) and if you want basic sat-nav "that will be an extra 2K thank you, sir"
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #64
swallowtail
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
What a shame Well thank you Swallowtail and Radioactive for looking into this for me. You've both been extremely helpful.

OFF TOPIC RANT: I just wish BMW makes it clearer when ordering the car what things are left out or included. Also don't like how much BMW options cost over here in Australia... buy an 80K car (after nearly 10K discounting) and if you want basic sat-nav "that will be an extra 2K thank you, sir"
Yep. I wanted pro nav (which is 2500) but you MUST have the extended voice control stuff, which adds another grand, then LCT... ended up at 4500 LOL.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 03:37 AM   #65
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

@sfax - great OP. Well done.

Well I got myself a 32gb usb stick. I then got "musicmonkey" and then dumped all my various sources of music into it. MM sorted them all out, sorted the tags, album art, and removed all duplicates then I sync'd my USB to MM.
Stuck it in my USB slot and it all works fine, the genres are all there (MM saves as Artists folders). Will look at making playlists later.
Please note that MusicMonkey moves all your music as it sorts it all out so be sure you drive has plenty of space.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 03:50 AM   #66
vojak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Competition Xdrive

Quote:

I agree with this. The configurator is not clear on what you get. I had assumed that enhanced bluetooth with USB would allow me to transfer my iphone cradle from my current car into the new one with full functionality. Luckily I spotted this thread and checked. Apparently I needed mobile application prep and telephone USB totalling £200.
Is it too much to ask for descriptions and pictures on the configurator?
Luckily it wasnt too late to get it added.
Appreciate 0