BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Battery "problem" after moderate constant journey

I took my virtually problem-free 2011 X3 diesel for a 150km (or about 90 miles) non-stop journey at highway speed yesterday (about 2 hrs drive non stop) with my GPS plugged into the car the whole time. I have done this journey many many times before with exactly the same setup.
When I was reaching to my first destination, start/stop still worked, and nothing was out of ordinary. I parked the cars for several hours. Then I have made a short trip for lunch, then drove in town with a bit of traffic for my second destination. When I reached to my second destination, suddenly "Increased battery discharge when stationery. Electrical consumers were temporarily switched off" message displayed, and when I turned the car off, "Charge battery" was displayed in the multifunction display on the instrument cluster.
I immediately unplugged the GPS charger, and parked the car for about 2 hours.
When I returned to the car and open it, welcome lights came on for a second before they went off, but then the car started fine.
On my trip to third destination, the Battery discharge message was still displayed, but then start/stop activated again (I think this should not be activated if the battery charge was low?). I manually disabled the start/stop and continue my trip.
When I reached to my third destination, which was my aunt's place. I charged the battery using CTEK charger. I have "comfort indicator" with my charger (which basically an indicator with 3 lights, green, amber, and red) and the light was blinking green, but I charged the battery anyway.
I went back home at night, and upon restarting the car, battery discharge message was gone, and I completed the same 2 hrs journey home.
Should I be concerned and take it to the dealer? I was thinking after completing 2 hours non stop drive, the battery should not be low on charge yes? I usually had my GPS plugged in too every time I went out of town, never caused any problem before.. any input/advice guys?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
EvilGenius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

Sounds like the battery's charge capacity is decreasing: a sign the battery is at or nearly at the end of its life.
Appreciate 0