BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #23
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I like Google personally but not sold on Android just yet, particularly because of their security vulnerabilities from malware - an accident waiting to happen
Typical media hype.

I'd rather be responsible for vetting my own choices than be spoon fed what someone else allows.

In any event, it's obvious that they can't keep up with every single phone possibility, so why even bother? The cradle should only be installed if you take the apps option.

Last edited by bren; 02-08-2012 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #24
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Typical media hype.

I'd rather be responsible for vetting my own choices than be spoon fed what someone else allows.

In any event, it's obvious that they can't keep up with every single phone possibility, so why even bother? The cradle should only be installed if you take the apps option.
Yeah it's a playoff but the number of malicious apps pulled from the official Android marketplace is a bit too high IMO. I wouldn't be concerned for myself as I wouldn't just download any old crap but I'm sure a lot of people get caught and end up with huge phone bills where some app has been texting premium numbers on the sly

The cradle is only installed if you order option 6NK in the UK but the problem for Android owners who want pro nav (large screen) too is that you have to have 6NK as part of the package. They ought to give you option not to take the cradle really but it's pretty easy to remove

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #25
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

So this cable arrived in the mail.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

It does not work. It appears to fit both to my phone (Iphone 4S) and to the adapter. Furthermore, the adapter's fan turns on when I connect the cable, so it is recognizing some sort of connection. . Unfortunately, it does not charge or transmit any data.
I hooked up a previous generation Ipod touch that didn't have battery power. THe Ipod charged until there was enough juice to turn it on, and then it wouldn't charge anymore or transmit data. It's almost as if it's a software issue or something that is being blocked by apple. I do not get the message that says the hardware is not supported however.
I have ordered what appears to be a higher quality cable. It will arrive tomorrow. I will keep you posted on results.
I really want this to work.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #26
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

No joy here either. I tried this cable:
http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Charge-...8833051&sr=1-1 which would charge, but the X3 did not recognize it as being in the cradle. The cable description said "High quality 30 inner pin cords inside, include audio, video, sync, charger pin."
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #27
Earlofessex
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Wow, it almost sounds like some engineer actually put thought and effort into blocking this..."yeah, we know it's a PITA and you might try to circumvent it. Ha ha ha!!!"

Now do I buy an iTouch cradle and park my iPod there, or buy an iPhone cradle and never use it because of the phone case? Ugh!

Thanks for trying this out and posting results.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #28
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlofessex
Wow, it almost sounds like some engineer actually put thought and effort into blocking this..."yeah, we know it's a PITA and you might try to circumvent it. Ha ha ha!!!"

Now do I buy an iTouch cradle and park my iPod there, or buy an iPhone cradle and never use it because of the phone case? Ugh!

Thanks for trying this out and posting results.
The question is, will the iPod touch fit in the adapter? I think they are different sizes. I have a previous generation Touch (shaped like the iPhone 3G/3GS. It would be easy enough to get an adapter and park it there and then connect my phone via white cable for pandora and MOG connectivity. I am loathe to buy it without knowing it will fit.
My other thought is to set up a wifi hotspot in the car. Then the iPod touch could sit in the cradle and still give me pandora connectivity. Then the phone could just stay in my pocket.
Has anyone put a permanent hotspot in their car?
Also, does anyone know if the 3G adapter fits the iPod touch?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #29
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Success!!!

This cable arrived today:

There is a 2 ft one available, but I wanted a longer one for more flexibility.

It behaves exactly like the plug in adapter. It has the improved iPod interface and it charges the phone. It also plays video. I am extremely excited about this as now I don't have to remove the phone from the case to get the benefits of the snap in adapter.

I guess the key was finding a high quality cable that was able to transmit all of the necessary data. It is pricey, but worth it to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #30
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
They ought to give you option not to take the cradle really but it's pretty easy to remove
Have you tried it? Granted I've only given a cursory look (until the weather warms up) but it didn't jump out as easy to remove.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #31
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have you tried it? Granted I've only given a cursory look (until the weather warms up) but it didn't jump out as easy to remove.
I agree. It does not look as if it would be easy to take out. Or at least not easy to take out and not leave broken plastic or naked wiring.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #32
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Yes, I took it apart when I replaced the armrest USB port for my 6NR retrofit. I didn't go the whole hog as I want to keep mine in place but if you unscrew the underside, it splits into two and then I think you can unplug the wiring and get to the hinge that you need to remove

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #33
jeeter
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 M3 Conv. & 2012 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy29 View Post
Success!!!

It behaves exactly like the plug in adapter. It has the improved iPod interface and it charges the phone. It also plays video. I am extremely excited about this as now I don't have to remove the phone from the case to get the benefits of the snap in adapter.

I guess the key was finding a high quality cable that was able to transmit all of the necessary data. It is pricey, but worth it to me.
So, you have the snap-in adaptor in the armrest and then plug this cable into snap-in adaptor and into your phone. Could the cable be used without the snap-in adaptor?

jeeter
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #34
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeter View Post
So, you have the snap-in adaptor in the armrest and then plug this cable into snap-in adaptor and into your phone. Could the cable be used without the snap-in adaptor?

jeeter
With this cable, definitely not. With any cable?Almost certainly not. Without the snap-in adapter there is no 30 pin connector. The connection that is there without the adapter is just a random connector,which I am sure no one makes a cable for.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #35
Earlofessex
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Success!!!

That's great news. Do you know if any other devices will work with that cable and adapter? I'm wondering if an iTouch will work with this cable and an iPhone 4 snap-in adapter.

Thanks for experimenting and sharing the results!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #36
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlofessex
Quote:
Success!!!

That's great news. Do you know if any other devices will work with that cable and adapter? I'm wondering if an iTouch will work with this cable and an iPhone 4 snap-in adapter.

I have an iPod touch. Unfortunately, I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow. I'll check it out for you when I get back in a week.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #37
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlofessex View Post

I have and iPod touch connected via the Apple USB cable to the port in the armrest under the cradle. I put the iPhone in the cradle. Both work great. Can even sync the iPod touch to iTunes from inside the car in the garage to keep the music up to date.
      02-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #38
adamandmikah
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 28i

Garage List
2012 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeter View Post

jeeter
With this cable, definitely not. With any cable?Almost certainly not. Without the snap-in adapter there is no 30 pin connector. The connection that is there without the adapter is just a random connector,which I am sure no one makes a cable for.
Does anyone make a 30 pin to USB adapter? Then you could use this cable...plus that adapter to make it work?

2013 328i - Mineral Grey, Dakota Black, Technology Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Rear Sunshades
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #39
Earlofessex
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I have an iPod touch. Unfortunately, I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow. I'll check it out for you when I get back in a week.
Fryguy,
Hope you had a great vacation. Did you get a chance to try the iTouch with the cable plugged into the iPhone 4 adapter? If so, any luck? Thx!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #40
erv.walter
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3

Garage List
Quote:
Fryguy,
Hope you had a great vacation. Did you get a chance to try the iTouch with the cable plugged into the iPhone 4 adapter? If so, any luck? Thx!
I tried an extension cable but it didn't work. Might not have been a good enough cable though. I ended up modifying an iPod Touch case so that my iPod was the correct size relative to the cradle. But it was ugly and it still didn't hold perfectly (was hard to insert and get lined up and sometimes needed to be re-inserted).

The problem is that the iPod touch is the right width but not the right thickness or length. Since it is the right width, you can't really just put a case on it to make it thicker or longer because any additional width and it won't fit any more.

In the end, I got tired of it and just bought a used iPhone 4 (meaning I didn't have to worry about a contract--it doesn't even have a SIM card in it) and am using that now as a glorified iPod and leaving in the car. It's working much better.
      02-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #41
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Fryguy,
I'm sorry. My brain must have been addled from too much sunshine and I forgot to post.

I plugged in the ipod touch and it behaves exactly like the the iPhone 4S. I have a 3rd generation Ipod touch (the one with the old body style). I have no reason why later generations would not work, since we have established that iPhone 4 and 4s works.

I have attached some pics comparing the interfaces, in case anyone was interested. The last two pics are using just the white cable into the USB port.

I did misspeak earlier. Video does not work perfectly. When I play a video I can hear sound and a still picture shows up on the screen, but no video.
It is not the cable's fault, as it behaves the same whether attached to the cable or if it is in the snap in adapter.
I wonder if I am doing something incorrectly? Does anyone have any ideas?

In short, the above cable behaves exactly as the snap in adapter does on both the iPod Touch and the iPhone.

It does NOT work with the iPad.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #42
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamandmikah View Post
Does anyone make a 30 pin to USB adapter? Then you could use this cable...plus that adapter to make it work?
If I am not mistaken, the 30 pin to USB adapter is just the white cable that comes with every iPhone/iPod.
Am I misunderstanding?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #43
Earlofessex
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry. My brain must have been addled from too much sunshine and I forgot to post.
Is there such a thing as too much sun?

Thanks, again. Time to buy a cradle and high quality cable.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #44
jbinbi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Let me get back to the OPs questions as this thread has been hijacked all over.

Bren, I too have an android phone. My car came with this adapter as the car was on the dealers lot for a great price with everything I wanted but it had the iphone stuff i didn't want. rather than wait 4 weeks for a car with everything minus just the cheap iphone option and pay MORE for it, I bought it.

This takes up too much room for something I will never use. I keep wanting to take it out, but waiting for the weather to get warmer so I can spend some time looking at how to not damage. Don't want to use the pry bar solution.

If you , or anyone else can figure it out, pls post up!
Appreciate 0