BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-29-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
Yeltzer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 xDrive 20d M Sport

Auto Hold - standard or option?

Hello
Can anyone tell me if the auto hold function is a standard feature when ordering an auto gear box (UK car)? No mention of it in the brochure (and can't see it on the option list unless i'm blind!) and loved it when I had a tester for the weekend.

Thanks all.
      03-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 30D Msport DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeltzer View Post
Hello
Can anyone tell me if the auto hold function is a standard feature when ordering an auto gear box (UK car)? No mention of it in the brochure (and can't see it on the option list unless i'm blind!) and loved it when I had a tester for the weekend.

Thanks all.
It's standard for all engines with the auto...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
It's standard and the good thing about it is it works with the stop start so you don't need to keep your foot on the brake.
It makes for lazy driving, auto release of the handbrake in the morning too, just press the throttle and go.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
Ural
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 20d

Standard feature for auto trans. and especially handy if you occasionally leave the tarmac to steep hills and stuff. On the other hand it is one of the contributors to early wear of the rear brake pads if I am not mistaken.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Auto hold does not contribute to early rear brake wear. The rear wheels only lock when you are at a complete stop, thus no heat is generated, no pad material is lost etc...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
Ural
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
Auto hold does not contribute to early rear brake wear. The rear wheels only lock when you are at a complete stop, thus no heat is generated, no pad material is lost etc...
I just forwarded what my service rep had commented on while replacing my rear pads the other week .
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

You'll hear all kinds of odd things from service reps, but I think you can think about it this way:

"If I park my car on the road for 10 years with the parking brake on and the car never moves, will my brakes be worn out after the 10 years?"

Answer: No* the components may be rusty from non use but the pad material will be untouched.

I think the biggest contributor to early rear brake pad wear is the brake force distribution. When you are just leisurely stopping the X3 is setup in such a way to drag the rear brakes in an attempt to prevent nose dive and keep the SUV flat and level. This is normal and to be expected. Now if you brake hard on the daily then your front brakes will get more use.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
Ural
Private First Class
Rep

It for sure makes sense when you think about it that way, but I still think that with this modern parking brakes which use brake pads instead of a cable in a conventional hand brake, there should be some wear at the component that mainly prevents the car from moving either when parking or auto hold on. I do not know at what level this wear would occur , but probably a lot less than other contributors like brake distribution as you mentioned or for instance ADB+X or the cruise control with brake function, or maybe even performance control when opted .
Appreciate 0