BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
Waffle
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 xDrive20d SE

Cool The holidays are coming ...

Anyone from the UK had any experience of taking the F25 X3 to France ?

i) Does BMW emergency services provide you with the cover that the AA or similar (in the UK) would provide for travel to mainland europe i.e. repatriation of the vehicle etc.

ii) Can the headlights be adjusted or will I have to mess around with stick on beam deflectors.

iii) How do I access the battery if I need to disconnect it. Is it under the boot floor?

BMW F25 X3 xDrive20d SE
black sapphire | black nevada leather | wave wood | 19" double spoke alloys | xline | xenons | business advanced media package | electric seats | dab | extended storage | grey shade band | auto
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 06:48 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle View Post

i) Does BMW emergency services provide you with the cover that the AA or similar (in the UK) would provide for travel to mainland europe i.e. repatriation of the vehicle etc.

ii) Can the headlights be adjusted or will I have to mess around with stick on beam deflectors.

iii) How do I access the battery if I need to disconnect it. Is it under the boot floor?
Yes, been to France for long weekend in Paris. Didn't consider BMW emergency as covered by Green Flag through bank a/c but I think I read somewhere it includes EU.

Headlights: left it too late and then didn't bother but I'm pretty sure you can't change them yourself so it's stickers only

No idea what you mean on battery. Disconnect the whole thing?

Pro sat nav works over there and I thought it was very good even in central Paris. Traffic also works which makes me think BMW SOS button would also work - well, you'd get connected to someone at least!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 07:58 AM   #3
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle View Post

i) ....

ii) ...

The X3's battery is indeed under the boot ("trunk or cargo" in the US) floor. If required for transport, the battery can be fully disconnected by raising the rear section of the floor by turning the (2) slotted fasteners 1/4 turn only (they are not screws and only need to be turned 90 degrees). The rear third of the floor can then be bent up to access the battery which is all the way at the back.

To fully power the vehicle off, the right terminal: Negative battery post, "earth" ("ground" in the US) can easily be disconnected. The "earth" terminal is on the right when you are behind the car and facing forward. The battery is covered by the red plastic emergency disconnect assembly that powers the car down in the case of a serious crash. You should avoid touching it or removing it from the battery.

Please keep in mind that disconnecting the battery will cause the car to loose all of the presets you have stored. It's also a good idea to go through the "seat reset" procedure to insure proper operation of the power seats (see Owner's Manual).

BMW Owners Manual says:
Attached Images

Last edited by Lotus7; 07-13-2011 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
The X3's battery is indeed under the boot ("trunk or cargo" in the US) floor. If required for transport, the battery can be fully disconnected by raising the rear section of the floor by turning the (2) slotted fasteners 1/4 turn only (they are not screws and only need to be turned 90 degrees). The rear third of the floor can then be bent up to access the battery which is all the way at the back.

To fully power the vehicle off, the right terminal: Negative battery post, "earth" ("ground" in the US) can easily be disconnected. The "earth" terminal is on the right when you are behind the car and facing forward. The battery is covered by the red plastic emergency disconnect assembly that powers the car down in the case of a serious crash. You should avoid touching it or removing it from the battery.

Please keep in mind that disconnecting the battery will cause the car to loose all of the presets you have stored. It's also a good idea to go through the "seat reset" procedure to insure proper operation of the power seats (see Owner's Manual).

BMW Owners Manual says:
As I was writing my sentence on the battery, I initially wrote "Lotus!!!" but then deleted it because I thought it looked a bit cheeky.

Great information as always! Got to be honest and say I had no idea!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
Waffle
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 xDrive20d SE

Thanks for the feedback.

BMW emergency services had to disconnect the battery when I had a front fuse box power loss which caused all sorts of problems with the windscreen wipers, central locking etc. If I have a repeat of this I know how to get myself out of trouble.

BMW F25 X3 xDrive20d SE
black sapphire | black nevada leather | wave wood | 19" double spoke alloys | xline | xenons | business advanced media package | electric seats | dab | extended storage | grey shade band | auto
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
Humbug
Enlisted Member
Guernsey
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 xDrive 20d Auto

If you're taking your X3 to France you may want to consider a Liber-T sensor that gets you through the Payage quicker.

You can apply for one in English these days here:

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
mikejohn1428
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbug View Post
If you're taking your X3 to France you may want to consider a Liber-T sensor that gets you through the Payage quicker.

You can apply for one in English these days here:

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/
Hambug - where did you put the tag in the X3? The saneftolling website (https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/suppo...-Faq.List/#3.0.) says to place it below the rear view mirror in the mottled area, but I don't have a mottled area....
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
Yeltzer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 xDrive 20d M Sport

WTF is a mottled area?!?!
      06-21-2012, 03:53 AM   #9
76C++
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35D MSPORT

Hi Waffle,
Bmw do cover europe and I see you have zenon headlights?? if so I am sure I read that zenons will auto adjust to left/right traffic, maybe check out your manual.

cheers 76C++
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 04:03 AM   #10
swfrom07
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76C++ View Post
Hi Waffle,
Bmw do cover europe and I see you have zenon headlights?? if so I am sure I read that zenons will auto adjust to left/right traffic, maybe check out your manual.

cheers 76C++
I did ask my dealer the same question about Xenon headlights while being used in Europe and they said while there wasnt a specific adjustment needed, they should auto adjust and no need to have the stickers on them.
I presume since they are xenons, you can also do away with the need to have spare bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 05:53 AM   #11
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Just returned from France road trip..
1. Used stickies to correct headlights (not xenon)
2. Used BMW assist - they were excellent, you call a UK operator who takes all details and passes the issue to a Country Rep - who then called and updated regularly.
3. Diesel (Gazole) is 1.30-1.50 Euro - so much cheaper!
4. Auto Dimming headlights worked fine - no issues at all.
5. DAB did not work in France!
6. 1800 miles @40.2 mpg (7l/100km) - 1400 miles on autroute @ 80mph)
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3

Last edited by plymjack; 06-23-2012 at 06:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 06:46 AM   #12
Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 30d SE

That’s good at that speed-I just love the French motorways. Presumably the reading is actual, and not car computer which is up to 5% optimistic in mine.
BMW assist? - What problems did you have.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 06:42 AM   #13
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

BMW figures are within 1% of my calculated ones so happy with the OBC.

Had a tyre issue while in the hills near Cascassonne, no mobile signal and but called from call box and was sorted by local dealer. Good effort by all.

Only problem was turning off the alarm when on the ferry, instructions did not seem to work so will check at dealers tommorow.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0