BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-12-2011, 11:08 PM   #1
Filski
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Linking reliability issues to ordered options?

Is it just me or is anyone starting to pickup a pattern here?

One thing I don't want is to spend up on a nice car only to have it back at the dealer frequently and then looking at my wife shaking her head... she'd much prefer a little city car with some pep - like an A3 or golf. I'm driving the SUV purchase because I want it for camping, MTB, and carrying lots of stuff around.

In the past couple of weeks there have been a few issues with peoples cars and I thought I read some possible common causes. This is as simple as ordering a sunroof may cause problems with it. The BMW is a very advanced car, relying on electronics or finely tuned parts for many of these advances. Things break, go wrong - it can't be avoided. But perhaps there are some parts that are more susceptable to problems and options that should be avoided if you want to have the best chance of a trouble free ownership.

I'll post what I've noticed, would be interested in others thoughts.

Risk of replacing whole steering setup - linked to Variable Sports Steering?
Panoramic sun roof - obvious noise and risk of closure problems
Transfer case - ???
Navigation and GPS - ???
Squeaks/noise from wheels - problem with brakes
Tailgate leaks -
Engine revs cycling -

Interior creaks and blown bulbs, while annoying, are just part of life IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 03:40 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

The reliability issues have already been discussed ad nauseum on this http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605400 and other threads

As for linking to options:

Risk of replacing whole steering setup - linked to Variable Sports Steering? - not true - read Hutt's thread

Panoramic sun roof - obvious noise and risk of closure problems - linked to sunroof option perhaps? No problems with my sunroof

Transfer case - unlikely to be linked to any option

Navigation and GPS - seen just 1 post about this recently, linked to nav options?

Squeaks/noise from wheels - problem with brakes - never heard of this

Tailgate leaks - all X3s have a tailgate

Engine revs cycling - only seen reported on petrol engines

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 04:13 AM   #3
Filski
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post

Risk of replacing whole steering setup - linked to Variable Sports Steering? - not true - read Hutt's thread
VSS was standard on 3 cars that had the problem in that thread. It's not in my list anyway but would feel reassured if the issue could be pinned down.

I'm fine with forums seeming to exaggerate problems, I can take that into account. But presently I'm nervous about going through with the purchase - not great when I've been really looking forward to it for so long.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 06:07 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filski View Post
VSS was standard on 3 cars that had the problem in that thread. It's not in my list anyway but would feel reassured if the issue could be pinned down.

I'm fine with forums seeming to exaggerate problems, I can take that into account. But presently I'm nervous about going through with the purchase - not great when I've been really looking forward to it for so long.
VSS isn't standard on AJW's X3 but the point is that Hutt definitely doesn't have VSS and has the problem so there is no benefit in not ordering VSS to reduce the risk IMO. There are still only about 4 reports in total out of 50,000 (wild guess) F25s produced. If that number goes up to 20+ reports and they're all built recently it might be cause for concern. Just as one person's GPS not being calibrated shouldn't really put you off getting nav IMO.

I can honestly say I wouldn't be at all concerned if waiting on an order now. And even if you are unlucky, you have a warranty. Yes, it will be annoying but if it's ultimately fixed for free the end result is good.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 07:19 AM   #5
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

I think we have every option but the heads up display and high beam assistance. Aside from the engine rpm fluctuating upon start up sometimes, we have had no issues...and I was anticipating some being a first year car. Don't let the forums scare you off - its the nature of the forums...I think we need a "My X3 is running great" thread...except those of us are too busy driving and enjoying it rather than posting threads about having no issues!
      11-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #6
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedinand View Post
I think we have every option but the heads up display and high beam assistance. Aside from the engine rpm fluctuating upon start up sometimes, we have had no issues...and I was anticipating some being a first year car. Don't let the forums scare you off - its the nature of the forums...I think we need a "My X3 is running great" thread...except those of us are too busy driving and enjoying it rather than posting threads about having no issues!
Ferdinand, start the my x3 is running great thread to give confidence to us watching on the sidelines
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 08:10 AM   #7
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
Ferdinand, start the my x3 is running great thread to give confidence to us watching on the sidelines
Will do
      11-13-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Yep, You can call it the "Let's Tempt the Gods Thread".
Reminds me of the White Star Line promoting the Titanic as unsinkable.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 08:50 AM   #9
mibmwx3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Yep, You can call it the "Let's Tempt the Gods Thread".
Reminds me of the White Star Line promoting the Titanic as unsinkable.
I would never say it won't have any issues, but I will say that so far, it's great.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #10
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep

*running around the house frantically knocking on wooden surfaces* stoop scaring me Lotus!
      11-13-2011, 09:16 AM   #11
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedinand View Post
*running around the house frantically knocking on wooden surfaces* stoop scaring me Lotus!
Oh no, may be I shouldn't have gotten brushed Al. I have nothing to knock on!

Ok, mine is running great after almost 10K miles. Not perfect: I have very infrequent rattle/squeak from the driver's door and trunk area. Twice when I had the sunroof angled up for venting in 100+F weather it did not close the first time trying. My guess is that the heat is expanding some parts and triggering the pinch protection. It was a cool summer here, so getting it to the dealer on a hot day never happened. It has worked perfect other than that.

One of the reasons I so many miles after six months; it's so damn great to drive. I'll take it down the driveway to get the mail!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #12
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

This is a great machine on 4 wheels, you can expect few minor problems here and there. Enjoy fixing them.
Appreciate 0