BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-07-2014, 04:33 AM   #1
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35d M Sport

Has any one have experience visiting Venice?

Hi, I plan on going to Venice this weekend I'll be staying the night in Vicenza though. This is my first time so I'm not familiar with the area at all.

My questions for anyone familiar with that area are:

Is it wise to take my X3 (safety, theft etc.) or should I take another vehicle?

From Vicenza should I go to Venice by car and use the big parking for tourists or is it smarter to go by train?

Any other hints or advice?

Sorry if this looks silly but this is truly a last minute decision and I do not know the area.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #2
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

I was there in 2011 - has a great time the day after Christmas for a few days then went to Firenza until the day after New Years. We left the car (2007 Acura TSX) in the hotel parking lot and took the train to/from town. It worked for us and we were not worried about the car.
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 02:27 AM   #3
Phil32
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW GT 530d

We went last summer and park our 5 GT (2012) in the big parking at the entrance of Venice. No problem with it. It is a huge parking where you should have always place and it is nice.
Great experience then to take the boat and reach St Mark or other areas with the boat. I would highly recommend it.
I was also worry before leaving the car in the parking but afterwards very happy.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 07:01 AM   #4
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil32 View Post
We went last summer and park our 5 GT (2012) in the big parking at the entrance of Venice. No problem with it. It is a huge parking where you should have always place and it is nice.
Great experience then to take the boat and reach St Mark or other areas with the boat. I would highly recommend it.
I was also worry before leaving the car in the parking but afterwards very happy.
Thanks Phil32! I just got back and it was a great trip. As it was at such short notice and I left before getting your advice I decided to play it safe. I stayed on the military base in Vicenza, took the bus to the train station and then the train in to Venice. It did work out but I guess I would have liked better to go by car.

Great place, absolutely beautiful!

Phil32, as I didn't see the parking, are you saying that the parking places are actually big and there's no worry about parking dings? Do you remember the name of the parking (for next time)?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 02:00 AM   #5
Phil32
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW GT 530d

Glad that you liked it. It is really a great city.

The parking was the "Tronchetto", it is on the right when you arrive in Venice. Very easy to see on a Venice map.

The parking is very big and the size of the places reasonable.

We arrived in the evening and the night view of Venice on the Vaporeto to reach the center was fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:58 AM   #6
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil32 View Post
Glad that you liked it. It is really a great city.

The parking was the "Tronchetto", it is on the right when you arrive in Venice. Very easy to see on a Venice map.

The parking is very big and the size of the places reasonable.

We arrived in the evening and the night view of Venice on the Vaporeto to reach the center was fantastic.
Thanks for the info Phil32!
Appreciate 0