BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-25-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
Max1Factor
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20i M Sport

614 Internet (UK)

Hi,

Anyone have this option or has it only recently appeared?
What can it do and how is it operated? Limitations?
Can it be enabled after-sale or only factory fit?

Cheers. Max3
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Only just appeared as far as I know at least haven't noticed it. Requires Pro Nav and Bluetooth Telematics. Only guessing but it may add wider Internet access to the BMW Assist services. If so, wouldn't have thought that additional hardware was required if the Pro Multimedia is already installed. ??
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

The car already has a data SIM so I would guess that this is an extension of Google Local Search and maybe even a full browser, although quite how you would operate a browser with no pointing device or touch screen I'm not sure

Maybe your dealer would know?

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
marmite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

OMG - I bloody well hope it's something that can be added post production!! - I've just changed my order, and I was very lucky I think, for it not to incur a significant delay..

And in-car internet, which I read about somewhere, I always assume was something *if it came* would be something you'd be able to get with pro sat nat and other connectivity options..

grr - I'm going to have to find out for sure now, somehow..
BMW xdrive30d M Sport Space Grey, Black Nevada, Aluminium Trim, 19" 369M alloys, Prof. Media package, Visibility package, Access package, VDC, Sun Protection Glass, Front Seat Heating, Split-folding rear seats, Sun Blinds, Lumbar support, Extended Storage, Business Stereo, DAB, Tel. USB audio interface, 6NR, 614 Internet.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
roders
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0D MSport F25

You need to have ProSat Nav (0609) & Extended Connectivity (06NK or new 06NR).
These can not be added post production.
Internet work's by Tethering to your mobile and using the data 3G side of your mobile phone to provide internet browsing.
Limitation is like the TV can't be used while the vehicle is in motion, unless TVFree Modules are added.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

Well I have ProSat Nav + 6NR, but this Internet 614 is a new option at a cost of £95.

If you're description is right, it's still not clear what you'd actually be getting with 614 - if you add it to your spec. Or if it's definitely something you can add post production.

I thought 6NR *sounded* like a software only thing, but that can't be added post-production... How can we be sure the same is not true of 614
BMW xdrive30d M Sport Space Grey, Black Nevada, Aluminium Trim, 19" 369M alloys, Prof. Media package, Visibility package, Access package, VDC, Sun Protection Glass, Front Seat Heating, Split-folding rear seats, Sun Blinds, Lumbar support, Extended Storage, Business Stereo, DAB, Tel. USB audio interface, 6NR, 614 Internet.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 03:54 AM   #7
W3dge
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 2.0D

I think I'll just use my phone for internet if I'm away from a PC.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 04:03 AM   #8
Max1Factor
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3dge View Post
I think I'll just use my phone for internet if I'm away from a PC.
Likewise, but yet again we are left to find out for ourselves what the option gives you and for the sake of £95 perhaps miss something that may be a benefit later. Pretty poor of BMW - some items are £00s and nothing more than an option name and price.

Max3
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 04:34 AM   #9
W3dge
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 2.0D

I simply can't be bothered to change my order again for something which in my case anyway would not be used much. Okay I've ordered the Pro Nav, and it will have google on it which is a nice addition, but internet?

As Sfax has already said, there is no keyboard, unless they use the voice function but from experience it is much quicker to type than to 'try' to speak out a long address. We have had keyboards for many years now. Speech recognition needs to improve even further until it is just like talking to a human.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 10:30 AM   #10
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
The car already has a data SIM so I would guess that this is an extension of Google Local Search and maybe even a full browser, although quite how you would operate a browser with no pointing device or touch screen I'm not sure
It would be a bit clunky but couldn't the iDrive controller do the job?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 03:57 PM   #11
Max1Factor
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Link from RobF11 on the F10 forum http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484936 . His gallery shows some images of internet browsing. See if this works:- http://gallery.me.com/braunrobert#10...&bgcolor=black.
Max3
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #12
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
It would be a bit clunky but couldn't the iDrive controller do the job?
Try browsing the internet without using your mouse for the rest of the evening. Now every time you want to type something, instead of using the keyboard, turn a wheel to find the letter you want and then switch to numbers and turn the wheel again to type a number. I can't think of anything worse.

Also, if it uses tethering as has been suggested, you have to pay $$$ on top of your normal subscription to enable this (well, for iPhone you do anyway). If I was ordering now, I wouldn't add this. 6NR definitely. This, definitely not.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 04:44 PM   #13
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Try browsing the internet without using your mouse for the rest of the evening. Now every time you want to type something, instead of using the keyboard, turn a wheel to find the letter you want and then switch to numbers and turn the wheel again to type a number. I can't think of anything worse.

Been there done that but, as I said, a bit clunky. Wouldn't really want to.

Last edited by Bustofa; 03-26-2011 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #14
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

Even if it's very seldom used, personally for the £95 I'd have added without hesitation, for future proofing reasons.. It's still not clear if it's only software or some h/w too, it certainly sounds like software only, but so did 6NR.
It's for uses yet to be thought of, that I'd like it for. For instance a new google app, that isn't integrated into the car, but just a HTML5 app, that can pinpoint the cheapest petrol station - Tomtom's have this.

Which is interesting question, does this 614 internet integrate with cars GPS system.
Maybe google nav. will port to HTML5, street view, etc. etc.

I realize, as sold this internet option only works if the car is stationary, I am also kind of thinking how easily it can be hacked into working on the move..

As I say, I'd still like to have it, it's relatively cheap as options go, and I'd like to cover all the bases.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #15
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmite View Post
It's for uses yet to be thought of, that I'd like it for. For instance a new google app, that isn't integrated into the car, but just a HTML5 app, that can pinpoint the cheapest petrol station - Tomtom's have this.

Which is interesting question, does this 614 internet integrate with cars GPS system.
Maybe google nav. will port to HTML5, street view, etc. etc.
Of course Google doesn't do too bad with speech recognition - relatively speaking (no pun intended).
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 03:28 PM   #16
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmite View Post
I would be surprised if it didn't as the existing internet functionality does, e.g. Google keyword search or weather based on locality.

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #17
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I would be surprised if it didn't as the existing internet functionality does, e.g. Google keyword search or weather based on locality.
It wouldn't be a stretch to do so, still I wonder what kind of browser implementation they have - hopefully it follows all good current standards and exposes the cars h/w, e.g. GPS to javascript etc..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #18
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm still struggling to see what use I could ever find for it but maybe I'll be proved wrong. The picture in the link above has an arrow pointer suggesting you would have to use the iDrive controller to move the arrow up, down, left, right and point and click on a standard size HTML web page. It's a good thing that it's disabled unless the car is stationary!

Extra web services based applications make perfect sense and they would need to use the iDrive interface a la Google Local Search, News, Weather. A full browser is a different prospect, but I look forward to the feedback from people that get it.

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 05:55 PM   #19
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

The way I see it, is that powerful webapps, coded in e.g. HTML5 are becoming more common. They have all the look and feel of a regular app, but are completely browser based. A lot of iphone/android apps are essentially that.

Location based services, often have very simple UI's.
I think there's a quite a lot that could be done.
Agreed any interaction via idrive and a cursor would be a PITA

Perhaps almost all that could be done, could also be done through 6NR, where hopefully interaction via the idrive would be easier/simpler.
Still that's iphone only, it would be great if had access to all web apps to come, i.e be more future proof.

I understand what you're saying about it being sensible to disable unless stationary, but navigation, music, weather, 6NR apps, could all be argued to be a driving distract, it will depend on the app. and the level of interactivity and attention it requires.
Should the car manufacturer dictate what can and can't be used, maybe there's an argument for that too, and perhaps they are even compelled to by EU law or something. But personally, I think I'm capable of making that judgement and should be allowed to do so.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 12:51 AM   #20
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

The main nav screen is definitely as distracting as anything else that appears there. I think it's stupid that navigation systems are OK to look at but holding a mobile phone is illegal.

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 04:56 AM   #21
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

Even navigating around my mp3's on my non-idrive stereo on my current car - requires quite a lot of your attention, i.e. to look down and stare at the 2 line display on the stereo.

Since hand-free phone kits are widely available for all phones these days, I think it's a reasonable requirement to make people use them by law. We're all used to having just one hand one the steering wheel for a little time, either to change gear or while comfortably cruising, but I'm not comfortable when I see drivers (typically white van drivers!) casually driving with one hand, phone in the other, or switching between that position and having the phone cradled between shoulder and head..

Anyway slightly OT, I'd liked to have had 614, *in case* it proves useful for anything - and I'd add it like a shot if there were no risk of delaying my order, but...
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 05:26 AM   #22
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

Can anyone read German?

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/sa-61...-t2983804.html

Are they saying (on the X5 at least) - that it can be activated later (last comment) ?
Appreciate 0