BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
mtpockets
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3

Heater Noise

I have noticed that the heater on my 2013 x3 281 sounds like a loud turbo fan when it is on high. It's hard to describe the sound. It has a deep bellowing sound like the air is being forced through a tunnel. As you lower the fan speed the noise gets quieter. Has anyone else had this experience?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
I set mine on "auto" in the winter and leave all my vents open...front and back. Does a nice job of getting the interior warm quickly. I agree it sounds like a leaf blower on the highest setting when you set the fan speed manually.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
mtpockets
Rep

Thanks,

I'll try the same thing. It bothers my wife more then me, I just turn the radio up loader
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
snowboardjoe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

I have not noticed any noise here, but the coldest we've had here in Seattle is 35oF. Typically the highest fan speed is pretty loud on almost every BMW, but that's only when it's on max to get the temperature to the set level (really hot day or really cold morning). Could be it's adjusting some vents for maximum effect as well. Of course, this should all diminish as the cabin gets close to human temperature.

Does it sound any different (better or worse) when you activate the front defroster?

I would just leave it in auto and let it do its thing. Even my 2003 325xi did a great job at this and learned to forget it. Drives me insane when my partner adjusts the temperature when he first get in the car--just leave it alone!
      11-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

From new, my car had a mild whistle at high fan speed. I considered this a fault, but did not do anything as I suspected that I would be told it was normal.

Recently the whistle was replaced with a mild grating noise at high fan speeds. Like a mild flapping or something. In my opinion this was clearly outside of operating parameters.

I sent the car in and was told that there was nothing wrong.

I strongly objected and told them to compare it to another X3, they came back and agreed that it was not the same.

Further investigation found that one of the fan blades had sheared off.

The replaced the blower unit and everything is now quiet...
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

... my next challenge is to convince them that the auto boot actuators are clicking and is not normal.

When sorting out the fan they told me they couldn't hear anything ... I decided to make do with the small victory of the fan and leave the boot for another day!
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 07:35 AM   #7
mtpockets
Rep

If I turn on the defrosters it get's even loader
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsey View Post
... my next challenge is to convince them that the auto boot actuators are clicking and is not normal.
Are you saying the struts that open the rear hatch are noisy? One of mine makes a sound that doesn't seem normal but I've been told that it is but it might be a little louder than others. it's a worm gear inside they say. I was surprised by that. I'm going to take it to another dealer to see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
snowboardjoe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpockets View Post
If I turn on the defrosters it get's even loader
Yeah, that's the loudest it will ever get--everything at full blast through the front defrosters and recirculating the air.

Best advice is to compare it to a friend who has the same car and compare. Of course, it will be when the car and air is cold and them warm it up.
      11-29-2012, 01:10 AM   #10
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50

Are you saying the struts that open the rear hatch are noisy? One of mine makes a sound that doesn't seem normal but I've been told that it is but it might be a little louder than others. it's a worm gear inside they say. I was surprised by that. I'm going to take it to another dealer to see what they say.
Yup, probably the same ...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 02:19 AM   #11
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpockets View Post
I have noticed that the heater on my 2013 x3 281 sounds like a loud turbo fan when it is on high. It's hard to describe the sound. It has a deep bellowing sound like the air is being forced through a tunnel. As you lower the fan speed the noise gets quieter. Has anyone else had this experience?
I am now experiencing this on my X3 and wondered whether anyone else has experienced the same issue?
It almost sounds as though something could be stuck in the main section of the air vent and causing the same sound as mentioned in the OP.
Although I guess it could be the actual fan itself that is damaged / deformed and therefore you only hear the noise when it's running at full?

I need to book the car in for it's brake fluid change next month, so will ask the dealer to take a look. I thought I would ask if anyone else has had this issue and how they resolved it, just in case I can resolve it myself rather than let the dealer rip the car apart!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 02:45 AM   #12
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petex3 View Post
I am now experiencing this on my X3 and wondered whether anyone else has experienced the same issue?
It almost sounds as though something could be stuck in the main section of the air vent and causing the same sound as mentioned in the OP.
Although I guess it could be the actual fan itself that is damaged / deformed and therefore you only hear the noise when it's running at full?

I need to book the car in for it's brake fluid change next month, so will ask the dealer to take a look. I thought I would ask if anyone else has had this issue and how they resolved it, just in case I can resolve it myself rather than let the dealer rip the car apart!

Cheers
Peter

Some 2 years ago, I had a similar noise problem on my 2012 F31 320d where a leaf had got ingested into the heater intake and was fouling the fan blades. I took it to a dealer and they removed the leaf and fitted a mesh screen that had not been part of the installation when my car was assembled. It is now a standard fitting.

Worth mentioning that to the dealer, because there are cases where the mesh screen has not been fitted on assembly.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 04:25 AM   #13
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Peter

Some 2 years ago, I had a similar noise problem on my 2012 F31 320d where a leaf had got ingested into the heater intake and was fouling the fan blades. I took it to a dealer and they removed the leaf and fitted a mesh screen that had not been part of the installation when my car was assembled. It is now a standard fitting.

Worth mentioning that to the dealer, because there are cases where the mesh screen has not been fitted on assembly.
Excellent, I will mention that when it goes in. Thanks Peter
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 04:52 AM   #14
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Peter

Well I finally got round to booking my car in for a brake fluid change and the issue with the noisy fan on max and therefore I thought I would update this post in case anyone else experiences the same issue.
Peter - Spot on with your comment, although the dealer said the existing mesh screen was not sufficient (apparently the holes were fairly big, but maybe they just didn't want to say it was missing!) and therefore replaced with a new redesigned mesh screen, so issue fixed

I booked my car in as part of the 'Fast Lane Service' and was really impressed with the way the dealer dealt with the whole experience, from a meet and greet in the carpark to a drink in the waiting area, followed by a text from the dealer showing me a health check video of my car by the mechanic, everything was spot on and far above anything I've experienced elsewhere with other manufacturer dealers.
Appreciate 0