BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-16-2015, 11:05 AM   #67
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Had my Dinantronics installed last Friday but haven't yet had a chance to give it a true test except for a single quick hard run from a freeway onramp metering light. Based just off of that I felt that it definitely pulls harder and feels lighter on its feet. Drivability-wise I'd say that you wouldn't know that it was even there until you mash the pedal or drop it into Sport mode (which I consider a good thing). I fostered a secret hope that the tune would also address the throttle lag issue but alas...it's still there. Now thinking of putting in the Remus Responder in hopes of fixing that. I already had the car's software updated to SIB 24 02 12 about 2 years ago which is supposed to address that but at most it has reduced the lag.

However since having it installed there has been a pulsing in the engine RPM when idling where it would dip down momentarily--nearly to the point of stalling out--before returning to normal. This happens while parked or while stopped at a light and typically dips about half dozen times. I'm a little worried that this could actually kill the engine when I'm stopped at a light or accelerating away so I'm going back to Dinan to have them take a look just in case. Hopefully it's just a loose connection.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #68
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaX View Post
Had my Dinantronics installed last Friday but haven't yet had a chance to give it a true test except for a single quick hard run from a freeway onramp metering light. Based just off of that I felt that it definitely pulls harder and feels lighter on its feet. Drivability-wise I'd say that you wouldn't know that it was even there until you mash the pedal or drop it into Sport mode (which I consider a good thing). I fostered a secret hope that the tune would also address the throttle lag issue but alas...it's still there. Now thinking of putting in the Remus Responder in hopes of fixing that. I already had the car's software updated to SIB 24 02 12 about 2 years ago which is supposed to address that but at most it has reduced the lag.

However since having it installed there has been a pulsing in the engine RPM when idling where it would dip down momentarily--nearly to the point of stalling out--before returning to normal. This happens while parked or while stopped at a light and typically dips about half dozen times. I'm a little worried that this could actually kill the engine when I'm stopped at a light or accelerating away so I'm going back to Dinan to have them take a look just in case. Hopefully it's just a loose connection.
From the two days I have had it installed I have not seen any of your issues but let me check after a week of use. It seems to have got rid of the turbo lag on the 4 cylinder unlike the inline 6. From what you say about the flooring the throttle to get the power, I do see something like that but I only really have to put the accelerator quarter to half way for mine to get the power. Maybe you should check the connections on your unit or get the dealership to double check your unit. Hope things work out It definitely changes how the car feels and acts.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 12:32 PM   #69
BigJake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M40i

Why do folks choose this brand of tuner? I am familiar with race tuners in general and I'm wondering what makes Dinantronics so appealing?

You have options for $279 up to 2k. I know you get what you pay for, I just want to know what this manufacture does different from others to warrant the cost.

Not trying to be a jerk, just want to gather the facts to help me make an educated decision.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 12:42 PM   #70
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep

The main difference is the warranty. If something fails and bmw won't cover the failure because of the tune Dinan will cover the repair. Dinan is also a reputable tuner and it has an established dealer network.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2015, 12:54 PM   #71
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJake View Post
Why do folks choose this brand of tuner? I am familiar with race tuners in general and I'm wondering what makes Dinantronics so appealing?

You have options for $279 up to 2k. I know you get what you pay for, I just want to know what this manufacture does different from others to warrant the cost.

Not trying to be a jerk, just want to gather the facts to help me make an educated decision.
We actually just posted this video today which does a quick look at the DINANTRONICS tuner and what makes it what it is. The difference in cost is essentially 3 fold...

1.) We offer a factory matching 4yr/50k mile warranty. If something goes wrong in the new car warranty period either BMW or Dinan has you covered. End of story. No one else can claim this.
2.) 50 State emissions legal. Again no one else can claim this.
3.) Most importantly, engineering and know how that is designed to make your BMW act just like it is supposed to from the factory, just with more power and precision. Could we make more power, probably, but drivability would suffer and then it wouldn't have the hallmarks BMW is known for in their 'ultimate driving machine'.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 12:57 PM   #72
gc3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 x35i

Any guesstimate on when the Dinan tune may include removing speed limiter?
      01-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #73
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc3 View Post
Any guesstimate on when the Dinan tune may include removing speed limiter?
Nope. Honestly it would be a total shot in the dark as to any guess I could provide. All I know is its a problem they are working on they are working on theories as to how they wish to accomplish the task.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 01:52 PM   #74
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mge.92 View Post
Got the Dinantronics installed on my N20 28i and all I can say is .... WOW! It will feel like it is a new car Will post a review on the forums with video after the weekend.
Numbers I got was 309 hp 330 torque from the obd port.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Nope. Honestly it would be a total shot in the dark as to any guess I could provide. All I know is its a problem they are working on they are working on theories as to how they wish to accomplish the task.
Any possibility on removing the Sport Display HP/TQ that BMW has it posted for stock car ?

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 01:57 PM   #75
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNYC View Post
Any possibility on removing the Sport Display HP/TQ that BMW has it posted for stock car ?
Without direct access to the ECU and the software those tables for the sport display are not going to be able to be altered. For the time being you are stuck with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 01:58 PM   #76
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

for canadians - dinan price just increased because of exchange rate lol...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 04:05 PM   #77
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaX View Post
I fostered a secret hope that the tune would also address the throttle lag issue but alas...it's still there. Now thinking of putting in the Remus Responder in hopes of fixing that. I already had the car's software updated to SIB 24 02 12 about 2 years ago which is supposed to address that but at most it has reduced the lag.
This is still an issue? One of the reasons I got rid of the X5 was because I couldn't stand the throttle lag and took it to the dealer for 2 years trying to get it fixed. I thought it was just the M Performance tune that hadn't had a code update and all the regular ones were fixed. Have you asked them to do any subsequent updates and were denied or are you fully up to date?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 05:45 PM   #78
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Yep I have tried getting an even newer flash after I heard about it on this forum but ran into the dreaded "cannot reproduce, everything is operating within normal parameters" response. I may ask them to update one last time on during my next scheduled service citing the same throttle lag but frankly I'm getting tired of repeating myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 07:01 PM   #79
ND40oz
Major
Rep

Yeah, it does get old going in there and saying the same thing over and over again. And then they just tell you to drive it in sport all the time.

It is really easy to reproduce though, pull up to an intersection, slowly moving up to turn into traffic, stop and then press the gas pedal. Instead of going anywhere, the vehicle waits for a second before it responds to any input. Then you take off like an idiot because you keep pushing the pedal down further and not going anywhere until it decides to respond. Of course, then they'll say that's what it's supposed to do and to use sport mode instead. At least we know there are tunes with it fixed, it's a just getting one flashed if you need it that's the problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 07:36 PM   #80
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Yeah, it does get old going in there and saying the same thing over and over again. And then they just tell you to drive it in sport all the time.

It is really easy to reproduce though, pull up to an intersection, slowly moving up to turn into traffic, stop and then press the gas pedal. Instead of going anywhere, the vehicle waits for a second before it responds to any input. Then you take off like an idiot because you keep pushing the pedal down further and not going anywhere until it decides to respond. Of course, then they'll say that's what it's supposed to do and to use sport mode instead. At least we know there are tunes with it fixed, it's a just getting one flashed if you need it that's the problem.
Maybe you guys should try a different dealership.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 09:23 PM   #81
ND40oz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mge.92 View Post
Maybe you guys should try a different dealership.
I was on the latest DME code for the X5 ZMX package, nothing the dealership could do. BMW NA told me the same thing. That's the problem with buying a single year only option, no reason to fix it going forward. It's definitely been fixed in the X3 though if the dealer will update the vehicle.

On topic, it is disappointing that Dinan isn't offering flash tunes, hopefully this piggyback is just as good but I'd much rather have a flash tune built on the latest BMW code.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 11:00 AM   #82
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: In The Market For A New One

How about dual quad exhausts?
      02-19-2015, 11:51 AM   #83
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIEZON View Post
How about dual quad exhausts?
It was a supersprint system.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2015, 10:38 AM   #84
exon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i Jet Black!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post

what tune fixes that? I have a 2014 X3 35i that supposedly does not have lag issue. But it is laggy. Off the line it moves exactly the way you described. Once on the move it either accelerates too slow (no downshift) or too fast (after downshift)... I think it is a software issue as the car accelerates like a beast in manual mode.

I have installed burger tuning stage 1 which helped quite a bit, but it could still be better. I guess a ecu based tune might fix the issue?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 11:51 AM   #85
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep

Drive the car like you stole it and then you won't get the lag
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2015, 12:49 PM   #86
terrytnt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i M/DHP Carbon Black

2012 35i M-Sport

Guys, I'm scheduled for a Dinan perf upgrade next Monday through my BMW Dealer... received a pretty good discount at $1900 fully installed.

Those of you who've taken the plunge, after now experiencing the perf upgrade, do you believe it's worth the investment (at least to get me by before the X3M launches in 2017)?

thanks....
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 02:43 PM   #87
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrytnt View Post
Guys, I'm scheduled for a Dinan perf upgrade next Monday through my BMW Dealer... received a pretty good discount at $1900 fully installed.

Those of you who've taken the plunge, after now experiencing the perf upgrade, do you believe it's worth the investment (at least to get me by before the X3M launches in 2017)?

thanks....
Definately worth every single penny. Might be slightly pricey but for the warranty aspect and the ability to drive a totally different beast definitely worth it. There are more powerful tunes and much cheaper ones but Dinan gives you the best drivability as well as insurance if anything would happen to break.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 11:58 AM   #88
terrytnt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i M/DHP Carbon Black

Thanks 'speed racer', appreciate your feedback. I'm going forward with the upgrade next Monday, and agree that Dinan's proven hardware/ software and BMW's installation/ warrantee is much comfort. Looking forward to my new X3 35i M-Sport!
Appreciate 1