BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-26-2014, 01:09 AM   #1
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Intermittent AC compressor noise

I had to record this video so I would have evidence of a faulty a/c compressor clutch when I take my car in... the noise is intermittent and I fully expect the car to behave when I take it in for service.

What do you guys think? Compressor clutch?

[/u2b]
      03-26-2014, 12:11 PM   #2
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

May be the same issue I had with my 1 series: I had a leak in the condenser (known issue) which was causing the compressor to run too hard and had a pretty similar sound, I would get it to the shop right now for checking
      03-27-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

cvandenjaute,

Since my car is under warranty I would prefer a failure than a cobbled together repair now. If there is a leak (and damage) I wouldn't want the leak fixed only to have a mechanical failure outside warranty.
      03-27-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
cvandenjaute,

Since my car is under warranty I would prefer a failure than a cobbled together repair now. If there is a leak (and damage) I wouldn't want the leak fixed only to have a mechanical failure outside warranty.
The good thing is that if the issue is the one I described, it would be taken under warranty (trust me it is a big one, since they have to remove all the dash board and front consoles) and the repair is backed up by 2 years warranty, which should cover you out of warranty if the problem was to happen again...
      03-28-2014, 07:39 AM   #5
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Mine has similar noise, but not that loud and maybe in lower hertz. I mean not that high pitch noise.

I have complained two times and it was checked by mechanics and they say it is normal noise.

Even though the cars they gave me (3 series and 5 series) didn't have that noise when "playing" with compressor on / off.

Well, if it blows up, I have in writing that I have been there two times complaining -> should be no problem getting it fixed with their money, not mine.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #6
Akview
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i 2018 530i

Garage List
2013 X3 28i  [0.00]
My AC low pitched whine

I've noticed an intermittent low pitched whine that goes away when I hit the snow flake off. Only notice when slow and less road noise and related to engine rpm. Turn on the radio or go faster it's gone. So I found solution drive fast with radio turned up

I was told it was normal. Even though they have replaced a seal after lost freon. I questioned that compressor had been damaged. Told not probable.

I guess it needs to stop working before they will fix it.

I think I will record the sound too.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 12:16 PM   #7
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Well I just heard back from the service adviser an hour ago... after waiting over two weeks for an appointment to look at the A/C, do an oil change, brake fluid flush and moonroof creak the dealership blew off my appointment.

They claimed they were really backed up. So, since I booked my appointment two weeks ago I can only assume they are working on cars from three weeks ago!

Oh, and they had the nerve to try up-sale a wheel alignment and a fuel injector flush when my wife dropped of the car! When the hell were they planning to do the extra work when they can't even do the warranty work.

I'm pissed, it's getting hot and my car has no A/C.

What a Mickey Mouse operation at Maranello!
      06-05-2014, 01:29 PM   #8
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Update.... a new condenser is being installed today.

I wonder if the condenser is known faulty component??