BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Closed Thread

01-27-2014, 08:52 AM   #1
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Notes on a 2014 X3 rear-view camera retrofit with Dynamic Parking lines

Customer custom orders a 2014 X3 and tick the OEM rear-view camera option. X3 arrives without camera. Dealer tells customer "Gotcha!!!" that he should have ticked the PDC option as well as it was a requirement.

Messed up dealer.

Enters forum vendor BimmerTech.

This X3 has no Navigation, and thus the 6.5" screen. So customer's requirement are to have a rear-view camera as close as possible to OEM, PnP and great resolution no matter the outside lighting.

I think that we exceeded that.

Remove hatch trim cover (2 screws and a lot of plastic tabs), replace OEM hatch handle with new integrated handle and rear-view camera mount:

Transfer OEM hatch handle switch to new integrated handle/camera:

Run new camera cable via the left-side of the hatch towards the OEM wiring rubber hose...

... and insert cable into the hose using a wire worm:

Run camera cable towards the Professional Radio in the dash, plug PnP harness to Professional Radio, camera cable to camera module and OEM display to camera module:

And that's it: once reverse is engaged rear view camera is activated with the Dynamic Parking lines...

... and once steering wheel is turned then Dynamic Parking lines move with the steering angle:

Notes:

- Camera module or car requires no programing or coding. Module comes pre-configured for your particular BMW.
- Camera module was installed behind OEM display with industrial Velcro and deadening material to avoid rattles.
- 100% PnP, 100% reversible back to stock, invisible to dealers OEM computers, no increase of battery drain, Camera is only on while the radio and car is on. Camera goes to "sleep" when radio and car goes to "sleep".

As a bonus, while running the camera cable towards the dash we saw that a full Combox Telematics (BMW Assist) was installed from factory as standard in 2014. So we went ahead and enabled Bluetooth Audio via coding as well for the customer:

Customer was more than satisfied...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #2
smytw
Private
Rep
Drives: Used to have '15 X35i

Nice...
I had NAV and PDC on mine already.. so I bought the OEM Camera kit from Bimmertech...
More than satisfied with the result!.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #3
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

So is this a true DYI?

I've previously contact BimmerTech and they don't have an installer north of the border. I'd be willing to give this installation a go myself.

Quick question... the display doesn't look like it reinstalled correctly. Is that because of interference with the camera module or some other reason?
      01-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

It is DYI if you are a DIY person.

The Nav screen was installed correctly; that gap was there before the install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
So is this a true DYI?

I've previously contact BimmerTech and they don't have an installer north of the border. I'd be willing to give this installation a go myself.

Quick question... the display doesn't look like it reinstalled correctly. Is that because of interference with the camera module or some other reason?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #5
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Nicely Done
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 02:19 PM   #6
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Great thanks.

I can handle this DIY. Were there instructions with the parts? Originally when I was corresponding with the vendor I had asked them about instructions but never got a response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
It is DYI if you are a DIY person.

The Nav screen was installed correctly; that gap was there before the install.
      01-27-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

BimmerTech will send you a pdf with the module instructions. The PnP harness is an option so no need to splice/tap/cut any OEM wires or any diagram.

Removal/reinstall of trims instructions are not covered with this kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Great thanks.

I can handle this DIY. Were there instructions with the parts? Originally when I was corresponding with the vendor I had asked them about instructions but never got a response.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 09:21 PM   #8
Scottaw
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i convertible

What are the parts cost for a DIY person to install? I'm quite curious to learn what this would cost, and would love the BT option to be enabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
BimmerTech will send you a pdf with the module instructions. The PnP harness is an option so no need to splice/tap/cut any OEM wires or any diagram.

Removal/reinstall of trims instructions are not covered with this kit.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 04:03 AM   #9
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottaw View Post
What are the parts cost for a DIY person to install? I'm quite curious to learn what this would cost, and would love the BT option to be enabled.
Please contact forum vendor BimmerTech for pricing details...
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread