BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
ppduck
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Bluetooth music streaming from iphone on X3 2011

hi all,

just want to ask, is it a standard feature (Bluetooth music streaming from iphone ) for the new X3 built in Sept 2011? or it is an option feature?
if so, which one should i choose from the option list? as i can't figure out which one is correct from the option list, pls help......
thanks and cheers,

ppduck
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
tagz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 xDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppduck View Post
hi all,

just want to ask, is it a standard feature (Bluetooth music streaming from iphone ) for the new X3 built in Sept 2011? or it is an option feature?
if so, which one should i choose from the option list? as i can't figure out which one is correct from the option list, pls help......
thanks and cheers,

ppduck
As far as I know, Bluetooth is standard!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I think Australia options are similar to UK options and therefore bluetooth may not be standard. There are two bluetooth options in the UK and you'd need at least the cheaper one for streaming audio.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M / CLA45 AMG SB

Quote:
hi all,

thanks and cheers,

ppduck
My understand is that it's actually an added extra even though it should be standard - your still paying for it.

Reason being, the supplier of the units (Bosch) have been effected by the Tsunami, meaning they've had to go to Nokia to retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 12:09 AM   #5
ppduck
Enlisted Member
Rep

yes, the car comes with standard Bluetooth system (telephone) whcih the dealer said that only covers the telephone calls.....
if i want to have the music streaming feature thru bluetooth, then i need to add an option to it .... damn... didn't encounter on this before buying the car, so i m left int he situation either payign for it or leave it....
can i ask which option should i put into my car to have the bluetooth music streaming feature.....? is it expensive to add it?
as at the moment, i didn't opt for the Nav Professional package....
cheers ....
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 02:30 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
yes, the car comes with standard Bluetooth system (telephone) whcih the dealer said that only covers the telephone calls.....
if i want to have the music streaming feature thru bluetooth, then i need to add an option to it .... damn... didn't encounter on this before buying the car, so i m left int he situation either payign for it or leave it....
can i ask which option should i put into my car to have the bluetooth music streaming feature.....? is it expensive to add it?
as at the moment, i didn't opt for the Nav Professional package....
cheers ....
I don't think this is correct. There used to be 2 bluetooth options but they've pulled one because of parts shortages. Now you can only get 6NK which is 595GBP and includes voice control. If BT is standard in Australia, they must be including this option.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542909

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #7
ppduck
Enlisted Member
Rep

checked with the dealer, the bluetooth ext functionality cost $780Aud in australia..... which allow for the music to be streamed in bluetooth from the phone, since it cost me a bit, i left it out and probably getting a Y-cable instead......
is there any after market Y-cable i can buy for the new X3, as the original Y-cable cost $178 AUD in here... to expensive.....
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 12:28 AM   #8
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

What apps do you guys use on your phone in order to stream music to your car?

Any good free ones or any paid ones that are recommended?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 01:02 AM   #9
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
What apps do you guys use on your phone in order to stream music to your car?

Any good free ones or any paid ones that are recommended?
I use FStream to listen to internet radio which is good and it's free. Don't need to stream it in the car as I have DAB but might be useful otherwise

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 01:12 AM   #10
ivanoski
F25 X3 2.0 Diesel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW x3 20d 8SpdAUTO BLACK

bluetooth is standard but bluetooth streaming is extra
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #11
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Using the Y cable means none of the album art will get displayed.. the normal Apple cable you do.

As above, you don't get it as standard in the UK, but I would not like to say which of the many options for sounds / connectivity etc would provide what you need.. I have the Pro Nav and it all works perfectly with that.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #12
CCL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 20d

Quote:
hi all,

thanks and cheers,

ppduck
I got my X3 last month and only yesterday decided to play with the Bluetooth. I just had to pair the phone for Audio with the X3 and when I hit play from my phone, instead of using the phone speakers, the output was the car speakers. However, I do not get any track info etc. Maybe it's because I am using a HTC Android phone and not an IPhone or maybe you have to pay for the "Extended bluetooth functionality".
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 01:03 AM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCL View Post
I got my X3 last month and only yesterday decided to play with the Bluetooth. I just had to pair the phone for Audio with the X3 and when I hit play from my phone, instead of using the phone speakers, the output was the car speakers. However, I do not get any track info etc. Maybe it's because I am using a HTC Android phone and not an IPhone or maybe you have to pay for the "Extended bluetooth functionality".
That's all you'll get with most phones and it's down to the capability of the phone and MAP - nothing to do with what options you have on the car. New iPhone iOS 5 will send track information via BT. Don't know if any other phones out there can do the same

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 03:09 AM   #14
CCL
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I think Australia options are similar to UK options and therefore bluetooth may not be standard. There are two bluetooth options in the UK and you'd need at least the cheaper one for streaming audio.
Bluetooth streaming audio is a standard option in Aust. I didn't pay for any audio or bluetooth options and I can stream
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 04:33 AM   #15
Redbhuna
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 Auto Mineral Silver

You can get a cheap Y-Cable from eBay, does exactly the same job as the BMW one. Think I paid 10GBP inc postage from Hong Kong.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #16
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What music app are you using on your phone CCL? I too have an Android phone and would like to stream music to the X3 by bluetooth but don't know any good ones other than Pandora which is good on a PC but their mobile app sucks.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #17
CCL
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
What music app are you using on your phone CCL? I too have an Android phone and would like to stream music to the X3 by bluetooth but don't know any good ones other than Pandora which is good on a PC but their mobile app sucks.

Beyu, I think I might have been a bit misleading. I "stream" from my SD card using the standard Music player and not other software which requires internet such as pandora. Really, it is offline streaming
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 03:57 AM   #18
robwoods
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 220d Gran Tourer Auto

My UK X3 2.0d has the cheap Bluetooth option (which i don't think you can get now) and you can't stream via A2DP Bluetooth. Have to use Y-Cable as didn't get any nav options.

Got Y-cable free from Sytner Nottm as I pointed out that the UK X3 brochure incorrectly stated that the iPod White cable would do the trick with just the cheap bluetooth/USB AUX-in option, which it doesn't.

My brothers S-MAX Titanium came with A2DP bluetooth as standard and we tried iOS 5. Song names, album name etc does indeed show on S-MAX display whereas it didn't with iOS 4.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #19
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Beyu, I think I might have been a bit misleading. I "stream" from my SD card using the standard Music player and not other software which requires internet such as pandora. Really, it is offline streaming
Ah I see, thanks. Normally I just listen to music off my ipod but recently I've been playing with the bluetooth audio. I can connect to the car fine but haven't found any good phone apps to stream music and I'm not much of a fan of the Pandora mobile app.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #20
Horsedoc67
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 35i Z4 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Ah I see, thanks. Normally I just listen to music off my ipod but recently I've been playing with the bluetooth audio. I can connect to the car fine but haven't found any good phone apps to stream music and I'm not much of a fan of the Pandora mobile app.
You might give Iheartradio.com a try. I have a DroidX android phone and it plays well through the bluetooth. With the new beta version of IHR you can create your own stations a la Pandora, however, I use Pandora as well and actually like it.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #21
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

I've got no nav on my X3 but I did add the Bluetooth + voice control option. A standard iPhone/iPod USB cable plugged into the port inside the arm rest works fine for me - shows cover art, allows browsing, track listing etc on both the iDrive display and on the small display between the instruments when I use the steering wheel controls.

Bluetooth audio is very basic - no listing of tracks etc so I've disabled it.

Office only displays contacts for both my iPhone and my Blackberry Bold 9700. No calendar etc.

Going off topic... voice control works really well for me ... even with my Yorkshire accent ("call t'wife, by 'eck"). I use it more than I expected
      10-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #22
kennygee
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 20d M Sport

I can confirm that Blue tooth is not standard in the UK I just realised that mine was going to have no Bluetooth fitted went for the cheaper option £265 only to be told that it was not available now. Had to go for the other one in the end £595, the dealer did say that it probably would be standard on the next phase as the new 1 series has it as standard.
Appreciate 0