BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
IMBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 128i

x3 vs iPod

We have a 1 1/2 month old x3xdrive35 that we picked up in Spartanburg and drove home to Portland, OR. We had a wonderful 5650 mile adventure.
The only criticism of the car is that we have a problem with our iPod Classics. We own three of the newest version of the 160 gig iPods. Each of them, when installed in the car play well and shuffle for about an hour and then freeze. The message on the dash says "no info". We have to unplug the iPod, turn it off and then wait for it to reboot and then plug it back in.
We also have a 128i convertible and have had the same problem with it from the get go. The 128 has been to the dealer about 7 or 8 times and all they seem to do is change out the cord connecting the iPod to the car. We still have the same problem. The service manager hinted that the BMW system doesn't work well with iPod's that have a hard drive, only flash drive models. They won't go out on a limb and say that is the problem, they'll just beat around the bush and allude to it.
Does anybody have any thoughts and or fixes?
Thanks very much
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
I had a loaner 35i for 2 months that did the same thing and my current 35i has the same glitch. In my case though, the ipod will work flawlessly for months, then out of the blue, it will freeze and not reconize that there are any songs to play. Rebooting it or disconnecting it does not work for me. I have to wait weeks and weeks before it will suddenly one day just work out of the blue. BMW has told me it is a known software glitch on their end that as of right now, they have no solution for. Sucks if you ask me.
Appreciate 0