BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-08-2013, 06:25 AM   #23
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
Personally I would never buy any OEM SATNAV option, they are out of date far too quickly and cost 10 times other options.
I use a Samsung Note on a £10 a month THREE contract. gives great service and low cost.
Supposedly, the iDrive professional revision improves some of these but TBD.

The Audi actually is an OEM sat nav that uses a 3G connection and has Google Maps as the Navi so it's as up to date as Google maps. It also caches Google Earth images for it's 3D view.

There are ergonomic benefits of integrated Navi over phone such as the Nav information being displayed in the HUD and instrument cluster. But to each his/her own. YMMV

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 04-08-2013 at 08:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #24
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
What would be really useful is having cars not trying to be lame phones, lame satnavs etc. All it'd need is a bluetooth profile to exchange data with your favourite-device-of-the-moment and slave some of it's display space (dash, HUD) to it.
      04-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #25
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by buze View Post
What would be really useful is having cars not trying to be lame phones, lame satnavs etc. All it'd need is a bluetooth profile to exchange data with your favourite-device-of-the-moment and slave some of it's display space (dash, HUD) to it.
It's a nice idea but I doubt it will ever happen and the price would probably remain the same as they would just add a few little extras to the pro package to balance it up. It already has a larger screen, better looking dash, BMW Assist subscription, online SIM subscription, and now BMW Apps. The price isn't all driven by the actual nav.

There's also the problem of power to the phone/device which would really need to stay plugged in if using GPS and BT constantly and would therefore permanently occupy a socket.

The nav will get better over time but they tend to lag a good 3-4 years behind the latest standalone models. Look at the SIM in the car. It's only just been updated from GPRS/EDGE to 3G. How long have 3G SIMs been around?

I accept its limitations but still much prefer a fully integrated system to suckers on the windscreen. It's also one of the few options where you will get money back on resale

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #26
DaveTheNerd
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Never use the lookup in the car. IPhone My BMW Remote send to car or google send to car much quicker and easier - and from the sounds of it more reliable.
I use Google "Send to car" all the time, but my iPhone BMW Remote app doesn't have send to car with my 2011 X3. Should it? As of right now I can't send to car from any app(or browser) on my iPhone at all and would love to.
      04-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #27
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheNerd View Post
I use Google "Send to car" all the time, but my iPhone BMW Remote app doesn't have send to car with my 2011 X3. Should it? As of right now I can't send to car from any app(or browser) on my iPhone at all and would love to.
It's here:

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #28
Sco
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
The nav will get better over time but they tend to lag a good 3-4 years behind the latest standalone models. Look at the SIM in the car. It's only just been updated from GPRS/EDGE to 3G. How long have 3G SIMs been around?
Is there any easy way of upgrading the simcard from Edge to 3G? Find it painfully slow.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #29
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Is there any easy way of upgrading the simcard from Edge to 3G? Find it painfully slow.
That's a good question and I would also like to know. The location of the SIM card is another mystery and the question has been posed a few times without being answered - hopefully someone can pitch in. It's nice that they've finally started using 3G just as 4G is released

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #30
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

As far as using your phone as a Navi ... California Bans it:
http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/06/cal...while-driving/

You can't upgrade a phone from edge to 3G by changing a SIM card. Same for cars. You have to change the car's built-in cellular radio and use a SIM card from an authorized carrier with a data plan for the network that cellular radio uses.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #31
Sco
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post

You can't upgrade a phone from edge to 3G by changing a SIM card. Same for cars. You have to change the car's built-in cellular radio and use a SIM card from an authorized carrier with a data plan for the network that cellular radio uses.
I wonder how easy it is to "change the car's built-in cellular radio..." then?

Although to be honest, who has time to do this kind of thing when you are working like a dog to be able to afford all of these toys in the first place
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #32
herbw01
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Garage List
2013 BMW X3 35i  [7.00]
I have had several proplems with the guidance system on my 2013 X3 35i. It will go past the destination and then ask me to do a U turn and would take me through residential streets in a round about way to reach my destination when it was just a direct shot initially before it went past it. Also it does not show the resident address the house # when you reach the destination. I have an appointment with Murray Motors Service Dept. on April 30th. They want to keep the car for one day and give me a loaner. I guess an update may be coming. I will post after my appointment to let everyone know what changed. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #33
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

I noticed recently on the trip through London that the Sat Nav sometimes can't keep up, esp. when you complete a quick series of left and right turns.
I wonder if the upgraded 2013 spec sat nav is any better?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 12:46 AM   #34
paulbaz
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M Sports

My biggest gripe with the satnav is the size of the street names on the map - they are so small! But generally, I too am not impressed with the satnav.

My wife has a new Honda CRV EX. The display on her car is much better and easier to read.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 06:31 AM   #35
dudley07726
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3

Garage List
2013 Mercedes Benz ...  [0.00]
2012 X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbaz View Post
My biggest gripe with the satnav is the size of the street names on the map - they are so small! But generally, I too am not impressed with the satnav.

My wife has a new Honda CRV EX. The display on her car is much better and easier to read.
Same here. Fonts are much too small.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #36
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Street Names- yet another gripe I have!
On my previous two cars- a Honda and a Hyundai the Sat Nav had a big bold font at the bottom of the screen which displayed the street name you are currently on, especially when you can't see a road sign nearby . Really miss the feature. Is there any way to get the same on the X3?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #37
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Oh I would love to upgrade the SIM to 3G.. the internet option is totally useless with Edge. But i bet you can't.. no doubt they only have 2G hardware and you have to pay for a whole new unit.

BMW SatNav (cost aside) is one of the better in car ones I've used in German cars (Lexus has great ones years ago, and touch screen).. despite my current anger at BMW for the criminal costs for upgrading the maps.

As far as not buying the option.. its the usual crap, if the car doesn't have it, then they will offer you less for the car when you buy it, but you never get back what you pay for the options, but it is one of the options they say is one that helps to sell it.. and if I was buying a used one, I think I would shy away from one that doesn't have the large screen.

(Assuming I was buying one).

If anyone finds its possible to replace the SIM to a 3G and its not a rip off to do it, would love to hear.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #38
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY14 X3 35d M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
If anyone finds its possible to replace the SIM to a 3G and its not a rip off to do it, would love to hear.
Do the MY14 ones that have just started to roll off the line have 3G as standard? My 2011 530d doesn't have the "internet" option but it can pull the weather and news etc from the net, but that's really slow... so I assume it's GPRS...
MY14 X3 35d M-Sport. Born 19/04/13, Delivered 31/05/13. Alpine White, Red Brown Leather, Brushed Aluminium, 19" 369 Alloys, BMW Media - Professional, Visibility Package, Access Package, Electric Seats w/ Lumbar, Variable Damper Control, Panoramic Roof, Extended Storage, HUD & Black Panel Dash, DAB, Reversing Camera & Top View, Heated Steering Wheel, Heated Rear Seats, Apps, Internet, BMW Loudspeaker Professional... & More.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #39
herbw01
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Garage List
2013 BMW X3 35i  [7.00]
One of the problems with professional navigation system is the settings so make sure your setting are correct. Like for instance if the navigation is checked for ECO-PRO-Mode then it will take you through the most efficient route (No hills, proper speed limt etc). Another item that should be checked off is the Dynamic Route. If this is checked then it will change the route due to traffic or road conditions so your entire route could be off and you may be going around in circles. Just my observations. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #40
terrytnt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i M/DHP Carbon Black

I purchased my 2012 X3 Msport with DPH and several other options EXCEPT the SatNav system. I was told by long time bimmers the BMW's system was antiquated, unfriendly and simply inaccurate. Looks like I made the right choice and saved $3K. I do understand that by 2014 the SatNav will have a SIGNIFICANT upgrade - we shall see....
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #41
liverman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i

The 2014 X3 does have the latest iDrive computer (NBT) and Nav software. They come loaded with the latest 2013 map software. This is on every 2014 X3 as of start of production in April 2013.

The hardware has a faster CPU, more RAM, a bigger harddrive and a faster, more detailed (more pixels!) graphics card. I think the actual display hardware is upgraded, too.

I don't know about the cellular radio, but I suspect it is 3G. 3G requires more than just a new SIM card, but a completely different cellular radio technology.

The responsiveness to iDrive control inputs is snappy. Scrolling through menus is fast. Route recalculations (drove past the intersection) are quick and without complaint (no "please make a legal u-turn unless that is really the ONLY way). Neither my wife or I have a problem reading the maps. YOu can zoom in if needed to read side street names. Turns on the route are announced and displayed on the instrument panel (that window between the speeo and tach) along with arrows indicating directions with distance to turn.

Once I turned off Dynamic Routing (herb is dead on with that recommendation!), the directions seem as competent as any mapping program or GPS that I have used. DR receives traffic info over the cellular radio and automagically re-calculates the route. Kind screws up 'er mind, I think...

In the USA, MY14 X3 cars are coming with a 3-year subscription to BMW Cnnected Drive services which include the real time traffic updates, Pictures at Destination (from Panaramio and Google), real time Google info about POIs, news clips, weather and maybe a few other things (still exploring). The BMW Assist features of emergency call (ecall) for service, remote unlock and stolen vehicle tracking are included for a period of ten years (yup, 120 months). My auto insurance people give me a little discount for the stolen vehicle protection thing, so that translates into real spending money over the life of the vehicle.

Other countries may have different packages of services ... the HW and basic Connected Drive software capability that is built into the car is not worth a lot without the subscription services...

The basic navigation (minus the weather icons for distant locations, traffic information and enhanced POI information) is beuilt into the Sw that is pre-loaded. However, that goes out of date...

If you have a pre-2014 X3, I have read reports that upgrading the NAV maps/software really helps with resolving a lot of the routing issues and "destination in the wrong place" issues. It costs about $250 USD in the US for the latest update from BMW, but I have read on these forums that you can get it from other sources from a lot less money.