BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-14-2017, 08:38 PM   #1
bmwpc
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
New SIB That Includes X4M40i

Since delivery, I have complained to BMW Genius that the "X4M40i" emblem did not display on my dash. The first time the "Genius' " told me that it was not a US spec item. (Same way I got the European M emblem installed on my front fender as shown at the Detroit Auto Show) After sending them dash pictures of 6 US X4M's setting at dealers they finally checked further. In the meantime I had mine in for 12 month service and when I got my "bill" it showed a software update that was in response to my display showing the "blue screen of death" one time last November. As I drove home I noticed I now had the emblem. I went back and the bill showed a note by the tech that he had found an SIB and ungraded the software. When I got home I returned the new "Genius' " week old email and he told me they had several email exchanges with the factory and the factory advised that my early car (#36 which was the first one sold to the public) had an early version of the software that did not include the dash display emblem. I told him what had just happened on my service visit, He did not know the SIB number ( I may get that from the tech) and did not know exactly what "early" means although there are none earlier than mine, but if you don't have the emblem displayed on your dash in the lower right corner , you likely have the early software and should have it updated. At this time, I don't know what other changes I may find but we will see what happens.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      02-14-2017, 09:06 PM   #2
DBU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4MC - Marina Bay Blue

Interesting. Please let us all know what other changes you discover. Also, perhaps you could post the new software version number so that others can see if they have the latest and greatest? Don't have my car right here, but I do recall seeing software version numbers on idrive.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 11:22 PM   #3
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
On my next oil change I'll be sure to tell dealer to update any software on my car

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 02:51 AM   #4
Mightymaus
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Graphite/Black leather X4 M40i

Garage List
2012 X6 M  [0.00]
Its very easy to update your vehicle yourselves; if you like. I don't have the website in front of me at the moment. But if you simply follow the steps through your display you'll find how easy it is to update. Once you find the update system option you'll be given the website (BMW) to download the update from. Use your personal computer to download the update onto your USB (any usb stick will work) stick.
Simply put the update on a USB stick from the website and update it through the onboard display. You'll have to navigate through your display to find the update icon, but only takes a few minutes to do. The system will ask you not to interrupt the connection while updating. You don't have to have the car running while you update, but you do have to have the electronics on. Simply press the start button without depressing the brake pedal(so it doesn't start) and don't interrupt the system by shutting it off until its done. It takes about 3 mins or less(never timed it). If you should interrupt it by accident, don't panic it will revert back to the current system version.
How often should you update? i don't have a clear answer for that but I would check every 3 to 6 months via that website and the version you currently are using on your BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 07:40 AM   #5
Duke I
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymaus View Post
Its very easy to update your vehicle yourselves; if you like. I don't have the website in front of me at the moment. But if you simply follow the steps through your display you'll find how easy it is to update. Once you find the update system option you'll be given the website (BMW) to download the update from. Use your personal computer to download the update onto your USB (any usb stick will work) stick.
Simply put the update on a USB stick from the website and update it through the onboard display. You'll have to navigate through your display to find the update icon, but only takes a few minutes to do. The system will ask you not to interrupt the connection while updating. You don't have to have the car running while you update, but you do have to have the electronics on. Simply press the start button without depressing the brake pedal(so it doesn't start) and don't interrupt the system by shutting it off until its done. It takes about 3 mins or less(never timed it). If you should interrupt it by accident, don't panic it will revert back to the current system version.
How often should you update? i don't have a clear answer for that but I would check every 3 to 6 months via that website and the version you currently are using on your BMW.
I have doubts about this. Pls provide website and "update icon" you reference.
2017 X4 M40i (gone); 2010 X5 (last of the NAs); 2007 550i (still missed, except in the snow); 1991 525i manual (great 17-year run)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #6
DBU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4MC - Marina Bay Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
Interesting. Please let us all know what other changes you discover. Also, perhaps you could post the new software version number so that others can see if they have the latest and greatest? Don't have my car right here, but I do recall seeing software version numbers on idrive.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 03:08 AM   #7
Mightymaus
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Graphite/Black leather X4 M40i

Garage List
2012 X6 M  [0.00]
Update website with directions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke I View Post
Sorry it took so long to reply... Here is the website.
Let me know if you have problems with the website.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/con...re_update.html

Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 08:12 PM   #8
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymaus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke I View Post
Sorry it took so long to reply... Here is the website.
Let me know if you have problems with the website.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/con...re_update.html

Enjoy.
This is only an update for bluetooth related items and iDrive. The OP is talking about the dealer reflashing the software for the car, not idrive/bluetooth.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0