BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-02-2017, 05:39 PM   #1
drp087
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M2C

Lease/Buy M40i/Macan S

So having had the X4 28i for almost a year now, I've been looking for some way to fill my craving for a slightly faster, more aggressive sounding car. I was even considering a weekend car, maybe a used e46 m3, or even a Z4M Coupe.

Considered even selling the X4, I know its not a financially sound decision to sell this car this early. So being the financially responsible person , I am doing my best to stop my urges and appreciate what I have.

But last night, my father calls me, asking if I have any intentions on selling the X4 to him. He is looking at the X5, X4, GLC New/Used. Now, because this will not be a typical car sales (no tradein/purchase gap, sales tax) we both have the opportunity to benefit if this goes through.

Now assuming this goes through, I have a couple options.

1. Lease a M40i, $0 Down, 10K/36mo. ~$750/mo. From what I found residuals on the X4's are really high right now at 64% so deals are good.

2. Buy a CPO 2016/17 X4 M40i, $10K Down, ~$850/mo. I still need to make 2-3 years worth of payments to "make up" for the 10K in positive equity at resale.

3. Buy a CPO 2015/16 Macan S, $10K Down,. ~$850/mo. Same 2-3 years worth of payments as above but I do think Porsches hold their resale value better nowadays.

4. Lease rates for the Macan S are not great right now from what I know, so not an option.

From a performance standpoint, yes, the M40i will be more satisfying, but I want to ask more from a financial standpoint. I much prefer the idea of buying a car and keeping for 5+years, but as for the X4, I know the next gen X4 is coming out in 2 years, which I am most certain will contemplate buying. On the other hand, I do think Porsches hold their design longer= less urges to upgrade for me. I do think the Macan will be something I would drive for 5+ years, given it does not have any major maintenance issues.

Any feedback appreciated!

Last edited by drp087; 02-02-2017 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: edit
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 08:42 PM   #2
dalesbmw
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i Sport

You best think about the Porsche warranty options as well, if they've been cut short like BMWs and what it would cost to extend it. You do NOT want to be out of warranty with a Porsche SUV problems. BMW is a walk it the park compared to Porsche for maintenance and parts. ?
Appreciate 2
drp087233.00
FSociety3812.50
      02-02-2017, 09:13 PM   #3
ctdw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5C (F90)

I traded a 2017 Macan GTS in for my X4 M40i after 5 months of ownership. I gave up on dealing with the numerous issues I had with it. It replaced a 2014 Cayenne GTS which was also problematic. I don't plan on buying another Porsche based on my experience with the brand and three different service centers. Obviously not every one is a lemon, but my experience with the brand is that they excuse a lot of mechanical issues as "acceptable" and don't have an interest in really resolving concerns. I did not have that experience with the previous eight BMW's I owned so I decide to come back to BMW.
Appreciate 3
drp087233.00
FSociety3812.50
Bimar799.50
      02-03-2017, 12:45 AM   #4
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Major Swedish insurance company (Länsförsäkringar) has issued list of worst to best cars re. their "machine damage" insurance - typically 3-8 year old cars (after guarantee). Includes everything from engine to HVAC.

Worst is Land Rover/Range Rover:3.8 repairs per 100 vehicles.
Second place: Porsche- 3.7 repairs
Fifth place: BMW -2.5 repairs
21:st place: SAAB - 0.9 repairs
30 place=best: Kia - 0.3 repairs
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      02-03-2017, 01:14 PM   #5
drp087
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the input.

So I did some more research, and reliability ratings are all over the place depending on the publisher. BUT even the Macan forums seem to acknowledge some issues. Also, with higher maintenance and repair costs, I don't think I would be willing to keep the Macan after the 2-3 year mark, as the CPO will already have been ~2 years old.

So out goes the Macan!

Another car for thought-

CPO 2015 X5 35i, Msport, $10K Down, ~$800/mo.
And slap on the MPE and MPPK both for ~$2500

Seems like a more "practical" car, primarily because of the space. I do run into instances where I need to fold all seats down, even use front passenger seat to fill all cargo.

Also, I know leasing is much more popular here, but are maintenenace/repair costs that bad after the initial 3 years of the car's life cycle?
Appreciate 2
FSociety3812.50
ctdw124.00
      02-04-2017, 12:21 AM   #6
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
How many miles on the X5 ?
I find the 2015 is rather expensive since you have to put 10k down and still pay $800 a month.
The MPE adds a nice exhaust/burble and the MPPK wakes the 35i a bit more but still lacks the grunts, handling and all the goodies M40i has uniquely done by the M-Performance team.
Think of it as a Unicorn between M2 (since it shares the engine, piston, crankshaft), with some cool features from the m235, and modified for the X4 = special.

Definitely test-drive the X4 M40i, it will put a bigger smile on your face

Although if you really need the cargo space more than once a week (folding seats down) how many people will be driving with you? I had a 2014 X3 28 M-Sport for 2yrs, loved the car, cargo space, but after meeting more and more ppl off the forums, everyone having a 35i of some form realized I would move into the that engine but was not willing to compromise my cargo and clearance. 3 Months later (test-driving many cars) I decided I had to wait for the X4 M40i.

Conclusion, going to have a year next month March and I have 16,950 miles today =)
Has been to dealer twice for Free oil change.

A vehicle you can take to the track since it has been personally tuned by the M-Performance team Suspension, Engine, Pistons, Crankshaft, Brakes, Chassis, etc.
Practical for daily driving in all conditions as I am proof of it.
Comfortable & But no slouch naturally, Aggressive & More Fun a toggle away!

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 2
drp087233.00
ctdw124.00
      02-04-2017, 08:54 PM   #7
drp087
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Test driving the M40i is the LAST thing I will do. The moment I press the Engine Start button all rationale will go out the window and this thread will become pointless.

Anyways the X5 I looked at had ~11K miles.

As for cargo, I don't carry passengers often, but I stuff my X4 with boxes 2-3 times a week, so my rear seats are usually down. The cargo space is not a huge deal for me, just will be more convenient.

I looked into the used M40i's, but ALL of them near my area are Executive demo's. That said, I have no intentions on buying one of these.
They do offer leasing, but the mo. payment difference is about $100 compared to new. Is this even worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
How many miles on the X5 ?
I find the 2015 is rather expensive since you have to put 10k down and still pay $800 a month.
The MPE adds a nice exhaust/burble and the MPPK wakes the 35i a bit more but still lacks the grunts, handling and all the goodies M40i has uniquely done by the M-Performance team.
Think of it as a Unicorn between M2 (since it shares the engine, piston, crankshaft), with some cool features from the m235, and modified for the X4 = special.

Definitely test-drive the X4 M40i, it will put a bigger smile on your face

Although if you really need the cargo space more than once a week (folding seats down) how many people will be driving with you? I had a 2014 X3 28 M-Sport for 2yrs, loved the car, cargo space, but after meeting more and more ppl off the forums, everyone having a 35i of some form realized I would move into the that engine but was not willing to compromise my cargo and clearance. 3 Months later (test-driving many cars) I decided I had to wait for the X4 M40i.

Conclusion, going to have a year next month March and I have 16,950 miles today =)
Has been to dealer twice for Free oil change.

A vehicle you can take to the track since it has been personally tuned by the M-Performance team Suspension, Engine, Pistons, Crankshaft, Brakes, Chassis, etc.
Practical for daily driving in all conditions as I am proof of it.
Comfortable & But no slouch naturally, Aggressive & More Fun a toggle away!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 06:50 PM   #8
drp087
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Alright so if there is anyone else looking to lease/purchase a X4 M40i/X5 following this thread, I will sum up my findings/calculations, as of FEB 2017.

As for the X4 M40i, it is rare to find one with ~20K miles that were NOT executive demo's. With about 10K on the clock, purchasing will save you ~$10K, and leasing one might save you ~$100 a month compared to a brand new one. However, for a performance vehicle like the M40i, I would expect alot of abuse during that "demo" period, so I wouldn't go for either buy or lease with these vehicles.

Now for the M40i, the residual is VERY high right now (64%). Same time about last year I believe it was at ~55%. This equates to about ~$150 difference per monthly payment. I'm not sure how long BMW will keep this high residual, but I don't expect it to last long.

The CPO X5's in my price range (~$50K) were less optioned than my current X4. Sure I could finance $5-$10K more, but now I was going into CPO X6 territory, and this cycle continues. In the end, because both the X4 and X5 models are planned to be replaced in two years, I figured if I am planning on selling both vehicles in about 3 years time, I might as well try to pay off as much principle on the X4 rather than start a brand new loan.

This leaves leasing the X4 as the only option, which, is still a viable option for me. Similar monthly payment as right now, and in three years time (assuming I sell the 28i at my predicted resale value), I end up with the same cash amount.

For future buyers: From a financial perspective, the best value for a car in a 6 year term is obviously buying a CPO BMW. However, if you are lucky enough to lease at the right time (when BMW jacks up residuals), you come very close to purchasing a CPO BMW from a financial perspective, but now you get two new cars, rather than one CPO. Your worst bet in a 6 year term is leasing two vehicles at low residuals.

SO. I will leave it purely up to my father whether he wants to buy my 28i. I'll be driving up to him this weekend for him to test drive. If he does want to take it, great, I'll lease a new M40i. If he doesn't, great again!, I'll still be driving a great car and maybe set myself up for a better financial position in 3 years time. (For the X4M)

Buuut....

Just maybe...I'll have a "new M40i owner" thread coming up soon.

Last edited by drp087; 02-05-2017 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: edit
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      03-12-2017, 02:55 PM   #9
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdw View Post
I traded a 2017 Macan GTS in for my X4 M40i after 5 months of ownership. I gave up on dealing with the numerous issues I had with it. It replaced a 2014 Cayenne GTS which was also problematic. I don't plan on buying another Porsche based on my experience with the brand and three different service centers. Obviously not every one is a lemon, but my experience with the brand is that they excuse a lot of mechanical issues as "acceptable" and don't have an interest in really resolving concerns. I did not have that experience with the previous eight BMW's I owned so I decide to come back to BMW.
wow fro ma GTS to a Bimmer..happy you are back, almost bought the Macan before X4 but size, looks and numerous issues put me off
Appreciate 0