BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #23
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Interesting analogy:

Rules are drawn for people to behave in the society, police is there to see if rules are followed, courts decide if some one really violated the rule based on the evidences produced by police.

In the futuristic innovative world, you over speed, car sensors detect it and your credit card is instantly charged. Wow, we can throw away law enforcement system out of gear so easily. this would definitely make our lives safer but the fun of driving will be lost. I would then prefer a robot to drive my car or I will pickup a 1900 model.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #24
rmeir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x3

hate to tell you but that data has been used already. Not in the case of a simple fender bender but lets say a fatal accident the data has been downloaded to show what the cars were doing. for policing it takes a court order, like a search warrant. the day might come where police can tap into the car as its driving but that technology is not available yet because its too expensive. Lets face it, all the cars with gps, and iphones with gps its basically available in serveral format.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #25
NYCX3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
So long as that data is retained in the black box and not continuously transmitted in an attributable way, there is no privacy issue. In the US (as other places) we have a right to privacy, we do not have a right to anonymity. There is nothing in our constitution that grants us a right to be in public and have your actions not be noted -- and that supports the rule of law and the rights of others. In my experience the only folks who make this jump and try to protect a right to anonymity are folks doing something they know they shouldn't and that is either illegal or socially unacceptable.
I'll tell you right off the bat, the data can be used by insurance companies to determine: "Driving style and habits", so when you took off a bit quick at the green light, or made that slick turn... don't be surprised if you get a letter from your insurance company saying you're classified as a "high risk" driver... get ready to pay.

Secondly, the system cannot speak for itself, nor can it be cross-examined in court, since it's a computer, computers have errors... now imagine the system malfunctions and records you were going 120 when you were doing 40 and got into an accident? No longer about anonymity or privacy, but a computer versus your word.

As to the US constitution, people have a right to be secure in their persons, papers and things (4th Amendment), now, a Police officer needs a warrant to search your property, that includes your vehicle, but a black box bypasses this requirement. So you have the right to be secure in your property. In the very least, the manufacturers should disclose this to you before you purchase the vehicle as part of the full disclosure requirement of any lawful contractual relationship.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #26
NYCX3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1 View Post
Interesting analogy:

Rules are drawn for people to behave in the society, police is there to see if rules are followed, courts decide if some one really violated the rule based on the evidences produced by police.

In the futuristic innovative world, you over speed, car sensors detect it and your credit card is instantly charged. Wow, we can throw away law enforcement system out of gear so easily. this would definitely make our lives safer but the fun of driving will be lost. I would then prefer a robot to drive my car or I will pickup a 1900 model.
Exactly... any technology can be beneficial or detrimental, depending on who is using it and for what purposes. Unfortunately, the society we live in, is driven primarily by fear and greed, not love and wisdom... so profits are the motive of government and corporations, that being the case, human resources as just that, a resource.
Appreciate 0