BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-27-2016, 02:21 PM   #1
JSGR8
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive28i

Traffic info question

Hey all,

I've had my 2016 X3 for six months now, and the traffic information on the navigation just disappeared. Is the traffic info supposed to be a paid subscription or is it just available to everyone who has the navigation package? Assuming it's free with the navigation, I would really like to get it back; quite handy. Not sure why it would just disappear.

Btw, I'm in Canada.

JSGR8
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 03:22 PM   #2
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
http://www.bmw.ca/en/topics/experien...rive/rtti.html

You must have ConnectedDrive Services Professional in your BMW in Canada in order to receive Advanced Real Time Traffic Information.

In Canada, Navigation "facilitates the use of Advanced Real Time Traffic Information (only in conjunction with ConnectedDrive Services Professional)."

So you may have Navigation and not receive Real Time Traffic Information. Is it possible you had a free six-month trial subscription to ConnectedDrive Services Professional which expired?

http://www.bmw.ca/en/all-models/x-se...ssistance.html

Last edited by MichiganMike; 06-27-2016 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 03:44 PM   #3
JSGR8
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike
http://www.bmw.ca/en/topics/experien...rive/rtti.html

If you have Connected Drive Services Professional in your BMW in Canada, you should receive advanced real time traffic information.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/con...s/how_to_use/?
I do have the connected services professional package. So, either the system is down or my navigation is messed up.

JSGR8
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 08:56 PM   #4
JSGR8
Private
Rep

Anyone in the GTA having issues with traffic info? My traffic info is still not coming up. I emailed BMW.CA, but STILL no reply. I definitely should have it.

Anyone?

JSGR8
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 12:31 PM   #5
rcblackwell
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSGR8 View Post
Anyone in the GTA having issues with traffic info? My traffic info is still not coming up. I emailed BMW.CA, but STILL no reply. I definitely should have it.

Anyone?
Mine was working fine Sunday evening. Helped me navigate the quickest way possible from Trenton to Pickering during the mass return of holiday weekend travels to the City. Haven't tried it this morning but it did work okay. I recall having trouble a few months back. Called BMWAssist for help.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 08:00 AM   #6
rp99
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 x3 28i

Working fine for me.
Showing green, yellow and red on the map.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 06:01 PM   #7
JSGR8
Private
Rep

OMG! BMW.ca is horrible.

Press the SOS to get some help. CS can't provide tech support. Gives me a number for the Genius Dept for Canada (supposedly). Called the number and CS tells me nope, it's for the US. Gives me an after sales support number for Canada. Called, nope...get transferred to tech support. Describe my traffic info issue....nope, sorry, this is the finance department. Let me transfer you to tech support. Waiting......

"Hello."
Hi, is this the tech support department for BMW Canada?
"No, this is the financial services dept. We don't have a tech support dept for Canada. Please call your local dealership."

ARGH! Unbelievable!

JSGR8
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 04:14 PM   #8
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

My '16 traffic list is working. Pointed out that big accident on the 401 westbound around noon today (3 lanes closed). I use it pretty regularly w/o issue.

connected drive store on the other hand....haven't been able to get that working. I was also told to contact my dealer....who couldn't fix it either.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 01:44 PM   #9
JSGR8
Private
Rep

Here's an update...

So after almost a month of no live traffic info, it's back!

After several useless calls to various BMW numbers my issue persisted. My last resort was to just bring it to the dealer. I didn't have the time, so just put it off for a bit.

I decided to ring up my sales agent instead and see if he had any ideas. After a few days he came back confirming I definitely should have the service until 2018, and with a solution!

Here's the solution for others that may come across this issue:
*make sure you are supposed to have the service first :-)
Press menu button
Select and click into ConnectedDrive
Press Option button
Select and click on Update BMW Assist. This should bring you to the next screen and should start transferring data. Wait for it to complete.

Once that's done, fire up the Nav and test. If the traffic info doesn't come back, repeat the steps above. I did the update 3-4 times and FINALLY, the green/yellow/red traffic info lines reappeared.

Hope this helps others.

JSGR8
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 09:18 PM   #10
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Great information. I have a related issue... or perhaps the exact same thing? While trying to register online for a connecteddrive account in order to utilize the BMW remote app I was given a message that my vehicle could not be added. So I emailed BMW for support and was told the vehicle was too old and no longer supported. Strange considering it's a 2011 with connected options in idrive. So I followed up and asked if there were any other services that were no longer supported. Real Time Traffic and Online Information Services were also no longer supported.

Has anybody else encountered this? I can't believe that features that are part of a package and to my knowledge didn't indicate required additional subscriptions (the way satellite radio did) would just stop working and no longer be supported. I know technology becomes outdated but the idrive wasn't updated to the newer version in the X3s that long ago, which means in theory either the newer X3s with the CIC system aren't supported either or... BMW just arbitrarily chooses a date and any VIN prior to that is SOL. Does that seem right?