BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #23
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Good review and comparison. Thanks for posting. The size is the main problem for me. I can't go any smaller than the X3 as we're already at the space limit sometimes. Styling looks good except the back which looks rubbish IMO. Reliability would also be a concern
+1. So i'm not the only one who thought the back styling is rubbish. Too bad since I really like the front styling.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #24
Penso di no
lapsed
Rep
Drives: Yes

You probably don't want to see the Top Gear review of the previous generation. Grim. And in this article about the 6er, Clarkson refers to the X3 as a "genital wart". Not that he's opinionated or something.

I think Top Gear is entertaining, but you can't take it too seriously, either. At least you can see out of an X3, and the style won't look dated next month (unlike the Evoque, that is).
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #25
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertech83 View Post
+1. So i'm not the only one who thought the back styling is rubbish. Too bad since I really like the front styling.
haha, I feel exactly the same. If I owned one I'd always have to reverse into parking spaces, show off the front and hide the back

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #26
kolien
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0d (F25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by torzeck View Post
I wish someone{BMW, Top Gear, etc.} would test the x3 off road. I am sure it can't boulder or go deep mudding like the Evoque, but I wouldn't be surprised how capable it might be in the right tires. There are some videos on YouTube of previous generation X3s not doing too horribly in some moderate terrain.
Have you seen this video (in German) test track comparison with Audi Q5?

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 12:23 AM   #27
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

Nice. Thanks for posting. My German is minimal but looks like the x3 won, right?!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 02:26 AM   #28
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
I wish someone{BMW, Top Gear, etc.} would test the x3 off road. I am sure it can't boulder or go deep mudding like the Evoque, but I wouldn't be surprised how capable it might be in the right tires. There are some videos on YouTube of previous generation X3s not doing too horribly in some moderate terrain.
Had put a post of X3 offroad videos here: http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469982
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 05:10 AM   #29
kolien
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0d (F25)

Quote:
Nice. Thanks for posting. My German is minimal but looks like the x3 won, right?!
Yes, that's right.

My german is so so also, but from what I understand they are first trying to compare basic traction properties finding that the cars are comparable but the Audi Q5 need some more stepping on the gas pedal to make it go forward.

Then they compare engine properties, the X3 having more power, more agile, and quicker on its feet than the Q5 and using only 7.7 liter per 100km compared to 8.4 liter for the Audi. On the road the X3 dampers are working better while the Q5 bounces more, thus X3 giving a more bigger car feel to the drive.

In the last part they compare steep hill climbing, finding that xdrive is more active to get traction and that the wheels slips and grips at a higher frequency compared to Quattro which he means feels more calm and not so nervous. The tire choice, e.g. winter tires for mud+snow is most important.

The Quattro giving a better impression than xdrive in this case.

And last the verdict: The true number one: X3.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #30
03///m3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

The two cars my wife and I are considering are the N20 X3 (when its available) or a 4 door Evoque. I've already test driven the X3 28i (minus the N20) and loved it. I guess i will need to test drive the Evoque to compare. Initially my wife and I wanted the X1 but given that the release in the US is not certain, we switched our focus on the X3. I like the Evoque for a number of reasons, one being that the size looks comparable to the X1.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #31
AC888
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Boxster, Mini Clubman

Evoque test drive

Finally driven an Evoque today at dealer launch event
It's was a SD4 auto Prestige
It's a very nice car, much quieter then my X3 20d especially at low speed and under load
However, there is a slight delay when accelerate from standstill which may be frustrating in a long run as x3 has no such delay
Cabin plastic is inferior to X3 , but the prestige model has most plastic covered in leather
It's quite spacious for a car that almost a feet shorter than x3
It's a nice drive, especially the quiet engine really impress as X3 is noisy
A fully loaded coupe cost £50k and I think that bad value for money compare to x3 Msport
For that money, you can get a decent spec x3 30d and that will be much better in every way to drive than evoque if not the modern concept car looks
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #32
Andrewob
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Evoque test drive

I just had a drive of the Evoque and can mirror what has already been said.

It does look good, but perhaps a bit overstyled which may become dated, but then again maybe not, its a bit like when the Audi TT came out, however I still think that looks good today. It is a bit squashed though, moreso at the back and the 3 door looks worse for this than the 5.

Inside is where its all happening, very luxurious, well put together and nicley laid out, very modern feel. Jumping back in my X3 it felt a bit normal and dated. Its more compact inside the Evoque though, less leg room and felt a bit more enclosed and not as wide. The seats initially seemed very comfortable, but after even just a short test drive I found them a bit uncomfortable, I found I couldn't move around in them, good in a sports car, but not an SUV, so from this point of view I was glad to get back in my X3.

Steering is more direct than X3, whether this is better or worse I dont really know, just different I guess.

The ride is good, but I found it a tad firmed than the X3, I guess it had 18" wheels, my X3 has 17", I generally prefer the slightly softer X3 in the ride department.

Noise levels were on a par with the X3 once up to speed, but the engine in the Evoque is definately quieter at any speed, but most noticably at tickover and up to say 40mph, jumping back in my X3 I noticed just how much noisier the engine sounds.

Performance is pretty much equal.

Auto gearbox is good and pretty much as good as the X3, perhaps a bit more like a traditional auto gearbox, a bit more slushy, but plenty good enough.

Visability is not quite as good and you dont get the high up driving feel like in the X3, though the full length sunroof is fantastic in the Evoque.

Boot space is far less than the X3, as its been said the Evoque is more an X1 or Tiguan size car and has very similar size boot to these cars, from this point of view it would be too small for me, but its on a par with the average hatchback and small estate's.

I would also be worried about residuals, cost of servicing, fuel economy being about 5-8 MPG less and higher emmissions than the X3, and of course reliability which Landrover have never been that great at, though Range Rover are I think better.

The Evoque is a very well styled car with some nice touches and some very good options to add, though at a cost, the quietness of the engine and the interior being its best bits. Its expensive though, especially once you start adding these options and considering its a smaller car. As a package the X3 is better for the money and a more rounded package, given its size, I wont be cancelling my order for my new X3 (with the correct spec this time).
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #33
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
I drove a Evoque last week, I was very tempted before I ordered my X3 but I'm glad I didn't, too small in the back.
Couldn't fault it apart from the size, would be great if it was 300mm longer to give rear legroom and had better running gear, needs stop/start on the auto to get the emissions down for the UK market.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #34
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewob View Post
I just had a drive of the Evoque and can mirror what has already been said.

It does look good, but perhaps a bit overstyled which may become dated, but then again maybe not, its a bit like when the Audi TT came out, however I still think that looks good today. It is a bit squashed though, moreso at the back and the 3 door looks worse for this than the 5.

Inside is where its all happening, very luxurious, well put together and nicley laid out, very modern feel. Jumping back in my X3 it felt a bit normal and dated. Its more compact inside the Evoque though, less leg room and felt a bit more enclosed and not as wide. The seats initially seemed very comfortable, but after even just a short test drive I found them a bit uncomfortable, I found I couldn't move around in them, good in a sports car, but not an SUV, so from this point of view I was glad to get back in my X3.

Steering is more direct than X3, whether this is better or worse I dont really know, just different I guess.

The ride is good, but I found it a tad firmed than the X3, I guess it had 18" wheels, my X3 has 17", I generally prefer the slightly softer X3 in the ride department.

Noise levels were on a par with the X3 once up to speed, but the engine in the Evoque is definately quieter at any speed, but most noticably at tickover and up to say 40mph, jumping back in my X3 I noticed just how much noisier the engine sounds.

Performance is pretty much equal.

Auto gearbox is good and pretty much as good as the X3, perhaps a bit more like a traditional auto gearbox, a bit more slushy, but plenty good enough.

Visability is not quite as good and you dont get the high up driving feel like in the X3, though the full length sunroof is fantastic in the Evoque.

Boot space is far less than the X3, as its been said the Evoque is more an X1 or Tiguan size car and has very similar size boot to these cars, from this point of view it would be too small for me, but its on a par with the average hatchback and small estate's.

I would also be worried about residuals, cost of servicing, fuel economy being about 5-8 MPG less and higher emmissions than the X3, and of course reliability which Landrover have never been that great at, though Range Rover are I think better.

The Evoque is a very well styled car with some nice touches and some very good options to add, though at a cost, the quietness of the engine and the interior being its best bits. Its expensive though, especially once you start adding these options and considering its a smaller car. As a package the X3 is better for the money and a more rounded package, given its size, I wont be cancelling my order for my new X3 (with the correct spec this time).
Go for the 35D or 3.0D engines in the X3 they are very quiet. The reliability of Land/Range rovers is legendary being very POOR.
No one wants them where real distances are to be travelled.
Africa and Australia are two examples, people want to "Get back home".
      10-16-2011, 06:12 PM   #35
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Go for the 35D or 3.0D engines in the X3 they are very quiet. The reliability of Land/Range rovers is legendary being very POOR.
No one wants them where real distances are to be travelled.
Africa and Australia are two examples, people want to "Get back home".
When I'm in Africa, I drive a Toyota!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 03:14 AM   #36
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggy1969 View Post
When I'm in Africa, I drive a Toyota!!!
Yep everyone does, those or NISSANS.
      10-17-2011, 06:57 AM   #37
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

The Evoque is already way more common than the X3. I have seen 4 this weekend alone, three of which were white (and a pink one, really come on). Of the three white ones 2 were 5 door and one was a three door.

I just don't like the look of it from any angle other than straight on, which looks pretty cool. The back half is plain odd and the back window is horrid.

In the same weekend I have not seen another X3 !
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #38
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Only seen one so far in white at traffic lights and it just looked like a squashed freelander but got the feeling they were looking at me thinking "i bet he wished he had waited for an evoque"

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0