BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-02-2013, 03:48 AM   #1
Mike X3
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011

Unhappy Battery drain on x3

Hi, I am being driven made. I have a 2011 diesel x3. About three months ago the battery suddenly went flat whilst it was parked. I thought I had mishandled it and charged it and everything was fine for two months. About 4 weeks ago I left it parked after an hours drive and the battery went flat in 5 hours. I took it to my dealer who said I had a usb stick plugged in and this was stopping the car going to sleep. I did not think this plausible as the usb stick had been in position virtually since I had bought the car new. Anyhow they charged the car overnight and I took it home and put it on charge as well. Next day I drove it for fifty miles, and after being parked for 2 hours the battery was dead again.

I now realise there are big issues with bmw batteries and electrics, which had I known I would not have bought the car. I think the dealer is fobbing me off. I am in the UK. Anybody got any advice?

Mike
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

I don't think the battery would go flat in this period of time, even if you left the lights on. It sounds to me more like a duff cell on the battery. Any garage should be able to check it for you and I think even Halfords can do it. At any rate, that is what I would try and eliminate first before looking elsewhere.

Hope you manage to get it sorted!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

It is a 3 year old battey, time for a new one.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 03:18 AM   #4
Mike X3
Registered
Rep

Red face Update

The dealer had the car for a few days and could not find a drain. They have replaced the battery and I have purchased a big lead acid battery and some jump leads to carry around with me. Did I also mention that I have now had both the headlamp washers replaced twice after they leaked all the fluid! I will let you know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 05:42 AM   #5
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Well that may have been it. There have been anecdotes of washer pumps going haywire, not shutting off and burning out. It could also be causing your battery issues
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 05:42 AM   #6
Mike X3
Registered
Rep

Smile UPDATE

OK, the new battery has solved my problems. I know from my experience in aviation that once a gel battery has been flattened once, it will never work properly again. I think maybe BMW need to learn this. I now have a big lead acid battery as a spare!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Also, locking the doors apparently helps.
When I do so, all the visible power shuts down.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679828

Also, the BMW Trickle charger is US $69. I bought the Canadian one as it charges faster.
Appreciate 0