BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
XenaBimmer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328i, '14 320i

Options for US version headlight w/ amber reflector

I just ordered a set of Philips silvervision bulbs for the turn signals in the front headlights (xenon headlight casings), now the only amber left on the car will be the reflector that runs part of the perimeter of the headlight housing.
Anyone thought of any solutions for this? Apart from changing the whole headlight housings out to the Euro version I guess; is there a more simple fix?
The orange reflector transitions into a chrome strip at the top of the headlight housing, so I thought it may look OK to simply have a piece of vinyl made that blends into the headlight housing (silver-ish looking so it would flow with the chrome strip) and stick it onto the outside of the headlights, there by covering up the amber reflector strip--almost like an "eyelid"
Thoughts?
      06-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Very thin high-polished stainless steel material is available with a strong adhesive back. This is not "tape or foil", but is actually a several mil thick layer of metal. A piece cut into the "7" and "backwards-7" on the left and right headlights might work and would continue the chrome "eyebrow" around the housing. It would be an interesting look .

I have some of the stainless stuff, and will try dig up the source. I think a real layer of metal would look better and possibly hold up better than vinyl film.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
You've probably already considered that you will be losing your front side reflectors, right? Just so you know that your car will be nearly invisible in the dark once you cover those.

That said... I think the silver idea (especially the metal concept) is intriguing. You'd have to be "dead on balls accurate" with your cut or you'll either over-cover or have show through amber... better allow for a couple of tries worth of material.

E90 owners cried non-stop about the amber in the E90 housings, but it really never bothered me. I thought it looked better than their eventual solution of putting a bicycle reflector into the wheel trim of the fender... but that's just my opinion. Some people baked their housings in the oven so they could open them and change the reflectors out.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Another thought: You could also paint the existing "chrome" area and the amber section in one section with body colored paint. It would make the headlight opening look smaller and sleeker.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
Looker.
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Hmm, I am actually wondering the same thing as you guys do. I managed to find a overlay from Bimmian (http://www.bimmian.com/25/HRO/), however, I would say that black vinyl film covered outside of the headlamp will not look that nice at all.
Just another thought.. Wondering if we can open the headlight cover and change the orange reflector to silver in the future as more accessories come out. Looks like the orange reflectors are just pieces of plastic clipped on the headlight.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
You've probably already considered that you will be losing your front side reflectors, right? Just so you know that your car will be nearly invisible in the dark once you cover those.

That said... I think the silver idea (especially the metal concept) is intriguing. You'd have to be "dead on balls accurate" with your cut or you'll either over-cover or have show through amber... better allow for a couple of tries worth of material.

E90 owners cried non-stop about the amber in the E90 housings, but it really never bothered me. I thought it looked better than their eventual solution of putting a bicycle reflector into the wheel trim of the fender... but that's just my opinion. Some people baked their housings in the oven so they could open them and change the reflectors out.
1 for "dead on balls accurate" phrase. My old man calls this "spot bollock". All good engineering phrases

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
Looker.
Enlisted Member
Rep

These engineering phrases are vivid. lol.....
Actually I felt very upset about that orange reflectors for the first 2 weeks after I took the delivery of my M sport 35i. Now, I kinda get used to it.
I can really feel BMW is trying to reduce the costs of the North American versions of X3s to compete with others as I doubt these amber reflectors are being put there in order to follow the regulation..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
tagz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 xDrive 35i

Quote:

+1
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #9
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
+1

Heck, I'd prefer more amber. Why they ditched the safety associated with amber rear signals is beyond me -- other than way too many in the US never other to use their signals . . .
      08-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #10
Looker.
Enlisted Member
Rep

E90 owners cried non-stop about the amber in the E90 housings, but it really never bothered me. I thought it looked better than their eventual solution of putting a bicycle reflector into the wheel trim of the fender... but that's just my opinion. Some people baked their housings in the oven so they could open them and change the reflectors out.[/QUOTE]

Is it possible and easy enough to open the headlight cover and change the reflectors out???
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 08:05 AM   #11
XenaBimmer
Captain
United_States
Rep

I emailed Bimmian to see if they will make the overlay in either body colors or a metallic silver finish to match the chrome strip at the top of the headlight
      08-11-2011, 09:39 AM   #12
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looker. View Post
These engineering phrases are vivid. lol.....
Actually I felt very upset about that orange reflectors for the first 2 weeks after I took the delivery of my M sport 35i. Now, I kinda get used to it.
I can really feel BMW is trying to reduce the costs of the North American versions of X3s to compete with others as I doubt these amber reflectors are being put there in order to follow the regulation..
They're doing it because the LCI in three years will feature the reflector along the wheel well. Needless to say, it is regulation and it must be followed. If you cover your reflector inside the housing, I suggest that you place a custom reflector along the wheel well (see 3, 5, 6, 7, Z4, X5/6) so that you don't get hit by someone. When you get into an accident because you were invisible at night, it could very well be your insurance and your wallet paying damage and fines for not following regulation.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 11:52 AM   #13
Looker.
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenaBimmer View Post
I emailed Bimmian to see if they will make the overlay in either body colors or a metallic silver finish to match the chrome strip at the top of the headlight
That sounds great! XenaBimmer, could you let us know once you hear back from Bimmian and if there is any better solution for all of us?
Thanks a lot~~
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 08:34 AM   #14
XenaBimmer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Heard back from Bimmian, and they said that they can custom make the overlays to match the paint colors, so I'm hoping to get a set ordered soon