BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
richy577
Pokerboy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport 2.0D

Car Pairing Phone Contacts Problem

Hi
I have just changed phone from iPhone to nexus 5. Previously my contacts synced to the X3 without any issue on my iPhone.

I have paired my new Nexus 5 to the car and whilst it uploads the contacts to the car via Bluetooth the problem I now have is that the list of contacts on the drive to dial from is populated first simply by a large list of maybe 200 telephone numbers, after scrolling past these numbers the contact names and numbers start appearing.

Just wondering if anyone else had the problem and has a solution to get rid of the numbers appearing first.

Just to let you know all of my numbers have contacts attached so its not as if there is a list of numbers on my phone without names.

Thanks for your help
Richy
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
joyceb401
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i MSport

Just got my nexus 5 today. will try it out tonight and get back to you.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i have an issue with samsung galaxy s4 , randomly lose the bluetooth connection so far the bmw techs have told me its not compatible with F25 lol

once its connected it works fine but sometimes i see **** instead of the phone number.

im not sure if its the same thing with nexus 5, it may connect and work but maybe its not compatible with X3 and limits full function of the phone.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
EvilGenius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

I had all sorts of varying levels of success and failure with both a Nexus 4 and a Samsung S4. Contacts may or may not sync right, SMS messages dont work right, and bluetooth suddenly quits working. I found the solution to be to install Cyanogenmod 10.2. It worked on the Nexus 4 and when I got my Galaxy S4. Interestingly, SMS messaging (bluetooth MAP protocol) didn't work with Cyanogenmod. I found a developer who was in the know with bluetooth, and him and I did troubleshooting until we had fully functioning messaging. So now, it works great! I even get the contact photo transferred over to my X3 now.

If you have the ability to put CM on your phone, I highly recommend it!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by richy577 View Post
Hi
I have just changed phone from iPhone to nexus 5. Previously my contacts synced to the X3 without any issue on my iPhone.

I have paired my new Nexus 5 to the car and whilst it uploads the contacts to the car via Bluetooth the problem I now have is that the list of contacts on the drive to dial from is populated first simply by a large list of maybe 200 telephone numbers, after scrolling past these numbers the contact names and numbers start appearing.

Just wondering if anyone else had the problem and has a solution to get rid of the numbers appearing first.

Just to let you know all of my numbers have contacts attached so its not as if there is a list of numbers on my phone without names.

Thanks for your help
Richy
Try updating the Bluetooth software by going to http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...gion=&country=
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 06:17 AM   #6
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
I will look into this app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
I had all sorts of varying levels of success and failure with both a Nexus 4 and a Samsung S4. Contacts may or may not sync right, SMS messages dont work right, and bluetooth suddenly quits working. I found the solution to be to install Cyanogenmod 10.2. It worked on the Nexus 4 and when I got my Galaxy S4. Interestingly, SMS messaging (bluetooth MAP protocol) didn't work with Cyanogenmod. I found a developer who was in the know with bluetooth, and him and I did troubleshooting until we had fully functioning messaging. So now, it works great! I even get the contact photo transferred over to my X3 now.

If you have the ability to put CM on your phone, I highly recommend it!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

my nexus 4 is fine
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
richy577
Pokerboy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport 2.0D

I worked out part of the problem. I use Outlook and Exchange for my contacts, my business contacts e.g. Companies are named in the companies field, whereas the the normal names e.g. people are named in the first name, surname field.

In the car when it sends the bluetooth contacts over if its a normal name its fine and is displayed normally whereas if its a company it doesn't drag the company field over but just shows a large list of numbers with no company name.

This worked fine on my last phone iPhone which displayed all correctly but don't know whether the issue is Nexus 5 issue or Android.

Will try and play about with it now and will post if I get it sorted.

I can transfer all of my company names into first name field but there's a lot of them and would rather not do that especially as the phone itself shows them correctly so must be an issue with the fields and bluetooth I guess.

Any solutions are welcome of course?
Appreciate 0