BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
northwestern
Rep
Drives: X3

Water Damage

On December 11 we had a huge rainstorm and my X3 got flooded at a BP gas station down the street from my house. It wouldn't start and had a couple inches of water INSIDE the car. It goes to the dealer the following day and they replace filters, spark plugs, did a transmission flush, engine flush, pulled out the interior of the passenger compartment, and replaced the transfer case (which was damaged).

So I got the car back today, more than a month later. Everything seemed fine when I first got it, but as the day went on, I noticed a smell (which is to be expected I guess). I searched for the source of the smell and it was nowhere in the front where they had pulled the interior out. I went to the trunk of the car and opened the two wall compartments and the floor where there is a battery and it was FILLED with water. There was over a centimeter, but you could tell that the water line was originally much higher.

Basically, BMW failed to properly diagnose the water intrusion from the get go and missed a huge amount of water that then sat there for about a month. As a side note, they also damaged some interior trim. The leather on the back of the shifter is all scratched up now and the soft touch surrounding the center console is punctured in multiple places.

Any thoughts on what should I do? I wish this car had been totaled to be honest, but now I not only have a car that was damaged in water but now the problem is likely so much worse because a huge amount of water was sitting in the car for a month while it was at the dealership.

2011 X3 28i - white/chestnut/fineline sienna wood - premium, tech, xenons, bmwapps, premium hi-fi, & roof rails.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
kskpsu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M; E90 M3 ZCP; M4 GTS

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [9.83]
Since you cite you wish the car got totaled, I presume you went through your insurance company? I am very surprised it wasn't totaled with the extent of flooding you describe, and that there aren't always obvious and immediate issues with flooded cars (e.g. electrical, mechanical, etc). I am not well versed in this stuff, but I would imagine recourse is more difficult when investment in repairs has already occurred, but if it were me, I would seek expert/legal counsel on how to get this thing totaled out.
      01-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

northwestern, sorry I don't have any advice for you but can you elaborate how deep the water was that you came across?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
northwestern
Rep
Drives: X3

Sorry, I should have explained that part better. After the rainstorm ended, the shopping plaza with the BP was completely flooded. Unfortunately, there was no one warning cars not to enter the plaza and at least 15 cars were probably towed away from the station that night because of it. It was one of those situations where you couldn't tell from the road, and once you were in, you were in for good.

The water line almost covered all the metal of the top of my car's rim. I have a series of unfortunate pics I could post, but I'm not sure how...

2011 X3 28i - white/chestnut/fineline sienna wood - premium, tech, xenons, bmwapps, premium hi-fi, & roof rails.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
Bollinger
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M SPORT AUTO

In the uk the vehicle would be a total as it would have been "contaminated water"
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 12:23 AM   #6
wilbertalbert
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: its bmw

Your car was damaged due to rainstorm and after you repaired it you still see some damages in it, so i think you should have contacted your insurance company.