BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-23-2018, 03:34 AM   #1
chknlytle
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 35i M Sport

question about door handle replacement

I came across this ad on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162884483075?ul_noapp=true

and was surprised to find there's such a part thats separate from buying a whole for panel. My driver's side inside door pull is melted and sticky and my research has found that that specific part is not replaceable. There's also no part number on Realoem for just that part.

I contacted the seller for instructions on how to replace it and the response I was given was that instructions are given after I make the order.

Has anyone ever replaced just that part, or found a way to resolve a melted and sticky door pull?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92, f25, e46, e83

Looking at the pics from the e-bay link you provided, it doesn't look like it's a too bad of a job. The door handle seems to fit through the integrated clips on the door handle.
There might be an air bag in the door, so before proceeding, it would be wise to take off the negative connector of the battery.
What I believe you will have to do is pull out the door card - shouldn't be too bad, but you need to be careful - you need the plastic dash prying tools, and start prying out the door card. You will have to start at one of the lower corners of the door and work your way up. The door card has plastic pins that will come off and are re-usable if careful enough. You can get a few replacement from ECS Tuning or other places, just to be sure. Also, you will need to pull out wires that go to the speakers, door handle, puddle light etc - I am not sure which ones, I did remove door cards on my ex e39, ex e53, on my e92 and e83. The f25 I didn't have to touch it yet, but so far all the BMW models are very similar with minor differences.
Once the door card is out, you will have inside visual - and there you have to pry off those tabs from the old/sticky door handle. Probably, again, care has to be taken into account so as not to damage the locking spots of the tabs. You can use one or 2 old credit cards or similar, to slide underneath the tabs and once all tabs are unlocked, it seems an easy pull out. Once out, throw a little silicon grease dab on the locking tabs of the new door handle and slide it in the place of the old one.
e83 N52
e46ci M54B25 (e53 N62 - sold, R.I.P. e39 M54B30)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 09:40 PM   #3
WagonR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

This part is very easy to take in and out. You just pull it up and it comes out of the door card. You may have to pull the back part away from the door a little bit so that the clips will clear, but the whole thing is rubber, so you have a fair amount of flexibility. You don't have to take the door card out to replace it; in fact, you have to take this part out to access a screw to remove the door card. Super easy to replace.
2008 E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 07:38 AM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

^ I'm not sure that is correct. The part you have to remove to remove the door card is the flat back side of the door pull, not the part you grab to pull. Nor is the whole part flexible rubber. It is typical interior plastic that just has a rubberized coating on it. OP, if you need me to walk you through removing the door card, I can do that. But there are Youtube videos and other online DIYs as well. Unlike many cars, BMW door cards to not lift up. They pull straight out, even at the top. Also know there is a screw behind the tweeter cover, and one or two at the bottom center. Getting the door card off the door is really quite simple - the hardest part by far is disconnecting all the wires while you awkwardly hold the door card.
Appreciate 1
WagonR293.00
      04-28-2018, 02:37 AM   #5
chknlytle
Private
Rep

I agree. From what I've found online looks like only the flat back side can be removed. I'm wondering if the only way to install the one from eBay is to remove the door card, cut out the handle pull, and drill/screw in the new one.

My problem is that the inside of my handle is sticky. I've tried goo gone, rubbing alcohol, wd40 lol, and none of it has worked. Has any of you experienced this too and what did you guys do to fix it? Aside from getting this new non gem handle, I'm thinking of spreading JB plastic weld (because I have a lot left over) evenly in the door handle to become its new surface or just putting packing tape inside to become its new surface.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 08:36 AM   #6
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknlytle View Post
I agree. From what I've found online looks like only the flat back side can be removed. I'm wondering if the only way to install the one from eBay is to remove the door card, cut out the handle pull, and drill/screw in the new one.

My problem is that the inside of my handle is sticky. I've tried goo gone, rubbing alcohol, wd40 lol, and none of it has worked. Has any of you experienced this too and what did you guys do to fix it? Aside from getting this new non gem handle, I'm thinking of spreading JB plastic weld (because I have a lot left over) evenly in the door handle to become its new surface or just putting packing tape inside to become its new surface.
Both of those ideas sound pretty bad. I just had my rear door card off the other day and wish I had looked how the armrest is attached. If it screws on, then this job would be easy. If it is held on by melted plastic posts, then not so much. Look at any door card for sale on ebay that has photos of the back side.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 08:43 AM   #7
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

I just looked. The armrest is permanently attached. However, there looks to be access from the backside to the clips that hold the pull in. For the 5 minutes it takes to pull a door card, I would pull it for sure and investigate. I think you can release those tabs and push the old one up and out.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 09:22 PM   #8
WagonR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
^ I'm not sure that is correct. The part you have to remove to remove the door card is the flat back side of the door pull, not the part you grab to pull. Nor is the whole part flexible rubber. It is typical interior plastic that just has a rubberized coating on it. OP, if you need me to walk you through removing the door card, I can do that. But there are Youtube videos and other online DIYs as well. Unlike many cars, BMW door cards to not lift up. They pull straight out, even at the top. Also know there is a screw behind the tweeter cover, and one or two at the bottom center. Getting the door card off the door is really quite simple - the hardest part by far is disconnecting all the wires while you awkwardly hold the door card.
You're 100% correct. Not sure how I got that back panel confused with the pull itself; I've only pulled that same door panel off the car 3 times. Looking again at the picture in the OP's link, you'd have to get access to the back of the door card to unclip that part.
2008 E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 09:42 PM   #9
WagonR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Also, I looked a little more. I'm confused by the part the OP linked. The picture of what's shown looks a little bit like a complete replacement part for that pocket/handle. However, the part number they list is 51-41-7-250-306, which based on the parts catalog looks like it's the removable rubber back part that I originally discussed:

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...bC1sNi1nYXM%3D

It also lists that part number as Beige. My guess is that you'd have to cut/drill out the old one and then attached the part on eBay, which i'm guessing is some sort of aftermarket solution?

For an OEM solution, they do sell the full armrest:

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...bC1sNi1nYXM%3D

Looking at the pictures online, as Opie55 mentioned, you'd have to cut/drill out the plastic welds on the old armrest and attach the new one. I've actually replaced plastic welded parts before, and while not the easiest thing, it's pretty doable.

If you wanted to try to fix the part you have, I don't think you're going to find a chemical solution to fix it. I think some of the soft-touch coatings just go bad over time. If it's just on the inside where you pull, and not overly visible, then you could try sanding to remove the soft-touch coating and get to the plastic. I'd just tape over the horizontal part that you can see, and then use sandpaper to clean up the vertical part that you grab.
2008 E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 02:42 AM   #10
chknlytle
Private
Rep

I just received instructions from the seller on eBay for this part. It's an aftermarket one. To install it, you need to slide and remove the flat back piece up and simply slide in the new one from eBay. The cubby of new one looks significantly slimmer than the original which I guess is ok since it's just your fingers that go in there to close the door, but sometimes I place my phone or coins in there and I just don't think this new one will work for me.

Another solution I came across was to use a utility knife to cut away the old rubber, and use goo gone to remove the residue. I think I'll give this one a try before I buy a whole new door card. Half of the rubber is gone anyway so that just leaves half to remove lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 05:14 PM   #11
Iowa X3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknlytle View Post
I just received instructions from the seller on eBay for this part. It's an aftermarket one. To install it, you need to slide and remove the flat back piece up and simply slide in the new one from eBay. The cubby of new one looks significantly slimmer than the original which I guess is ok since it's just your fingers that go in there to close the door, but sometimes I place my phone or coins in there and I just don't think this new one will work for me.

Another solution I came across was to use a utility knife to cut away the old rubber, and use goo gone to remove the residue. I think I'll give this one a try before I buy a whole new door card. Half of the rubber is gone anyway so that just leaves half to remove lol.
Mine started breaking apart this weekend also. Thinking about trying your solution also - cutting the rubber part out and cleaning up the residue.

Anyone else have other good solutions outside of removing the entire interior door panel to get this thing loose?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 04:20 PM   #12
x3 SUP
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 x3

Easy Cheap Fix

I cut away the peeling rubber with a razor and used Goo Gone to get rid of the tackyness. Pliers were also helpful. Sanded and used Goo Gone a second time and no more peeling or stickyness.
Appreciate 0