BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-01-2017, 01:48 PM   #1
awaitingbimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A5 Sportback

Options

I am looking into x3 later this year

When I look for options the packages are confusing

Which features are the most important to add

I really like having blind spot, surround view
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 02:39 PM   #2
coolmex200
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 2016 X5 35i, F25d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybebuybimmer View Post
I am looking into x3 later this year

When I look for options the packages are confusing

Which features are the most important to add

I really like having blind spot, surround view
The HUD and cold wx package was a must for me. The surround view is nice (the Mrs. X5 has it). I can't comment on the blind spot since I don't have it. Another one is the comfort seats are very nice during long trips...I hope this helps....
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 03:42 PM   #3
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Surround View / Top Down view is great. Maybe it's just me, but don't think blind spot monitoring is needed on the X3.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 03:45 PM   #4
guyver626
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 35i m-sport carbon black

Where are you located? Different countries have different packages.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 04:17 PM   #5
gullyg
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3

BMW aren't great at explaining what's what (not found a car company good and explaining tech yet).

I'm based in the UK so the options might be slightly different, what features are you struggling with?

On my car (2017 UK Spec X3 20d M-Sport) I have (comments in red),

Packages
M-Sport Package
19" 622M Wheels. Staggered setup - expensive for winter tyres
M-Sport Suspension. Good for cornering and not too flobbery, but still very compliant on potholes.
Auto gearbox with gearshift paddles on steering wheel. Lovely gearbox - never use the paddles as it's very good without manual control

Media package Professional Plus
Remote Services (iPhone/Android remote control). Use it a lot for aux heating
Professional Media Nav system (larger screen, faster processor). Big improvement on business media
Head Up Display. Fantastic - use it all the time. I'd have never bought it but the dealer's car had it and I was sold!
Concierge Service. Never used it.
Real Time Traffic Info. Real time Sat Nav updates - really good to get round traffic

The remote services of the Pro Plus package I believe are for 3 years only, after that lord only knows how much it'd cost.

Interior Comfort Package
Extended Storage. Map pockets on back of seats, lashing points in boot, net on transmission tunnel front passenger side, 12v sockets in rear and boot
Split-folding rear seats (40, 20, 40 instead of 60,40). Useful to carry 2 people in the rear and still take fishing rods/skis etc.
Elec Fr Seats with Driver memory. Fantastic as myself and g/f share a car. Seat positions are memorised and activated on the key - If I use the key after my g/f and open the car by the time I get in the car the seat is back in my position
Sun Protection Glass. Tinted rear glass - useful to cut down on heat, also makes it difficult for people to see into the back of the car

Advanced Parking Package
Reversing Camera. Very useful - especially the guide lines
Park Assist (auto parallel parking). Pointless, I can parallel park more quickly without issue. Nice gadget

Options
Adaptive LED Headlights. Brilliant - literally. Auto high beam and beam forming is fantastic far better than any Xenons I've ever used.
Loudspeaker System - BMW Advanced. Slight step up from basic speakers. Better base but not as posh as H&K.
Exterior Mirror - Folding with anti-dazzle. Only drivers mirror is anti-dazzle. Very good option though, especially useful if parking in tight spaces to park.
TowBar, Electrically folding. Very neat - full tow bar completely hidden unless folded out, does look like a unmentionable piece of horse anatomy when in motion though...
Steering Wheel Heating. Fantastic on cold mornings even with Aux Heating
Auxiliary Heating with remote control. Fuel burner to heat the car - see >clicky< for my review
Speed Limit Display. IMHO Pretty pointless as it's often not accurate as it uses the car's cameras AND GPS but displays the current speed limit. Nice to have it in the HUD though
BMW Advanced Car Eye. Expensive, intrusive dashcam with mediocre image quality and features. There are far better cameras on the market but this one is BMW branded so can be fitted by the dealers and therefore can't cause any warranty issues.

I've tried to give my comments inline but if you've any questions you think I can answer just shout.

The main options/packages I turned down were the safety ones (auto brake etc) and Active Cruise Control (I spend hours in traffic or driving A/B roads, very little time on the motorways- I couldn't justify the cost). I didn't bother with Blind spot etc as the X3 has excellent visibility as imho it's a gimmick.

Last edited by gullyg; 02-02-2017 at 01:15 AM..
Appreciate 1
plymjack120.00
      02-01-2017, 04:25 PM   #6
awaitingbimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A5 Sportback

United States

Does surround view eliminate the need for blind spot?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 04:45 PM   #7
guyver626
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 35i m-sport carbon black

Best option to get. 35i !!!!!!

Surround view is not usable when driving. Only useful for parking

I got almost all options when I got my 2014. Only package I didn't get was upgraded speakers and the auto highbeam. Don't regret not getting those as I don't listen to music loud and live in the city. Only used highbeam 1-2x the whole 3.5years of ownership.

Must haves are the tech package, msport, dhp,

If you must get the 28i. Make sure you get atleast the xenon lights.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 05:07 PM   #8
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybebuybimmer View Post
United States

Does surround view eliminate the need for blind spot?
No, surround view deactivates above a certain speed and is not a replacement for blind spot monitors.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...stems.html#t=l

For me the blind spot monitors provide worthwhile added safety as the X3 c pillars limit view to the rear sides and monitoring side mirrors in congested traffic can be challenging.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 01:01 PM   #9
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

All you need is the winter package and surround camera and beepers. The rest is expensive fluff.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 04:08 AM   #10
gullyg
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
All you need is the winter package and surround camera and beepers. The rest is expensive fluff.
Interesting you say that as I couldn't see the point of surround view, even driving round Edinburgh. I've driven nissans with it and didn't use it but the dealers demo car didn't have it spec'd.

What benefit does it actually give you, I find the X3 has really good visibility although sometimes you have to fold the mirrors in to squeeze through some spaces.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 06:26 AM   #11
nickb3
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullyg View Post

What benefit does it actually give you, I find the X3 has really good visibility although sometimes you have to fold the mirrors in to squeeze through some spaces.
That's my experience too. I agonised about ordering the reverse camera when I chose my car, but the dealer convinced me not to. The elevated driving position gives me good visibility of the corners, which along with the parking sensors, is all I need.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 07:03 AM   #12
PerryGunn
Idiot-in-chief
Rep
Drives: around: in: circles:

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickb3 View Post
That's my experience too. I agonised about ordering the reverse camera when I chose my car, but the dealer convinced me not to. The elevated driving position gives me good visibility of the corners, which along with the parking sensors, is all I need.
Yep, we had a loaner from the dealer for a couple of weeks over Christmas and New Year - it had the reversing camera, made me glad that we hadn't spec'd it
      02-15-2017, 08:25 AM   #13
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullyg View Post
Interesting you say that as I couldn't see the point of surround view, even driving round Edinburgh. I've driven nissans with it and didn't use it but the dealers demo car didn't have it spec'd.

Yes the folding mirrors, need those too.

As for the cameras, I love them, I use them to reverse park as I can see the wheels and avoid kerb rash, i also have two small kids and whilst we watch them like hawks it gives me another avenue to ensure i don't do the unthinkable.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 05:52 AM   #14
Greg2010
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 sDrive28i

Recently drove a 2017 X3 loaner while our 2013 X3 was in for Service.

Our 2013 35i has MSport suspension and DHP...while the 2017 loaner did not.

HUGE difference in the ride quality between the two (the 2013 steering is more responsive and the suspension is firm -- yet the ride quality is much smoother since the DHP does a nice job dampening out rough road surfaces (versus the ride on the 2017 -- which seemed a little rough).

SOLD - 2013 X3 35i l BSM l MSport l DHP l Premium l Sound l Tech l CW/CWII l Apps l 35% Tint

SOLD - 2010 E92 335 X-drive l BSM l MSport l Steptronic l Premium l CW l Logic 7 l Confort l Nav l KW-V1s l 35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 04:59 PM   #15
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

I do not have adaptive suspension on my X3 and mostly the ride is fine. However, on uneven bumpy roads, of which we have a lot, the ride is uncomfortable for passengers. VDC has to be an essential option as far as I am concerned. I am very surprised that so few X3s have this option as it is not particularly expensive.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 05:10 PM   #16
lovebimmers
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35I

While I can feel the slight difference in ride comfort with dhp. For the average drivers they mostly can't tell or wouldn't care. We are a one car household so I wanted my car with every option available. The must haves are tech package. Msport, DHP, and comfort access. Almost forgot! 35i is the absolute must have!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 05:15 PM   #17
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebimmers View Post
While I can feel the slight difference in ride comfort with dhp. For the average drivers they mostly can't tell or wouldn't care. We are a one car household so I wanted my car with every option available. The must haves are tech package. Msport, DHP, and comfort access. Almost forgot! 35i is the absolute must have!
I would agree with you on the 35i.....if only we could buy one in the UK!
Appreciate 0