BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-29-2012, 01:34 AM   #1
heverlee
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

switching modes while driving + tire pressure

I just wonder if it is safe to switch btw eco/regular/sport modes while driving? I actually tried several times but not sure if this is ok since the computer would need to adjust something, any suggestions?

also my dealer sets and recommends 40psi for all four wheels in AZ due to the heat (so as to have less wear on the tire). Looks like they get this by experience but just wonder if this would cause the tire to explode while driving?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 02:29 AM   #2
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Yes it's totally fine. Click away, friend.

My tire pressures are 32 psi all around because that's the lowest recommended rating.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Q for you guys, my tires have nitrogen and I rely on the tpm to confirm pressures are OK.

I should check the tires with a tire pressure gauge though. Can i use good old fashioned atmosphere to adjust pressure or do I have to use nitrogen?

Thanks lbjgh

PS I switch modes all the time while driving based on road conditions.
      06-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

40 psi is fine if that is not exceeding the max PSI on the tire sidewall. Your tire won't explode. I've been keeping our regular Goodyear RFTs right at 40 psi too. It offers a slightly stiffer ride but I like it that way and it also can offer a slight MPG improvement.

lbjgh, you can definitely top off a nitrogen filled tire with regular compressed air, no worries there at all. When it's convenient you could just have the tire purged and refilled with all nitrogen if you desired but if you're just topping it off I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
heverlee
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
40 psi is fine if that is not exceeding the max PSI on the tire sidewall. Your tire won't explode. I've been keeping our regular Goodyear RFTs right at 40 psi too. It offers a slightly stiffer ride but I like it that way and it also can offer a slight MPG improvement.

lbjgh, you can definitely top off a nitrogen filled tire with regular compressed air, no worries there at all. When it's convenient you could just have the tire purged and refilled with all nitrogen if you desired but if you're just topping it off I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much.
n55x3, thanks a lot for the kind info!
Appreciate 0