BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-18-2012, 02:48 AM   #1
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Feedback on the Dynamic Handling Package

So I'm going to be ordering my X3 next week, and I'm trying to figure out which packages/options to get. As it is I'm getting these:

Cold Weather
Premium
M Sport
Technology

I'm trying to decide whether or not I should get the Dynamic Handling. I've heard from some people it's great and from other people it's not worth it. Can I get some feedback from those who have it?

I drove a Lexus (quite a while back now) with variable steering and it was kind of weird. How is the variable steering in the X3? Seems like I'll get Performance Control regardless of whether I get the DHP because I'm getting the M Sport, and then there's the Dynamic Damper. I'm sure the dynamic damper is great to drive, but how is ride quality when things slow down? I've driven a few other cars in the past (not owned, just driven) that have had similar electronic dampers and they get really stiff when you go over something like a speed bump or a crappy road. What's it like living with the dynamic dampers on a day-to-day basis?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 04:40 AM   #2
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

The steering feels very natural to me. I don't notice the ratio changing and can always aim the car where I want it to go and it goes where I expect it to based on the input (if that makes sense). It is different than previous hydraulic systems, but the ratio bit seems great to me. I'm very used to the electronic system now. I don't think it provides the same type of road feel, but as I've learned it and the car itself I find it works well.

Regarding the Dampers, to my view your question mixes a couple of issues. It's a sporty car so sharp speed bumps will always be clunky and perhaps a bit more clunky that a vehicle with a luxury tuned suspension. It takes on "low speed" speed bumps with amazing grace. Can probably go over those 15 mph faster than I could have in my 330i with the same comfort level.

Rough road has to be broken in a couple categories for me in describing the ride. Washboard gravel roads (real washboard, not just the early ripples) are no problem. The suspension tunes those out to an amazing degree -- it's number two on the list of things about this car that just make me giggle a little. It's comfortable slow or fast, control remains, and I've been able to cruise along much faster than in my previous 4Runner (not that that car is a good comparison, but it was AWD and intended to tackle some rougher roads). Stopping on gravel is also excellent.

Rough road in terms of something like a serious of potholes or other surface with a lot of sharp edges is different. There the sport nature of the vehicle is apparent and in my experience you won't get those things tuned out to the degree you might in a more luxury tuned vehicle or a US truck. For me, that's okay as those kind of roads are rare for me and the rest of the time the sport suspension gives me the feel and performance I prefer.

Day to day with the more normal variations of US roads -- texture, small seams, and the like -- I think the suspension with DDC performs great. Guests in the car comment on the ride, which I found surprising. It's still sporty so I expect a reaction more like how folks reacted to the 330i -- "Is there actually a suspension in this thing??" -- but they seem to find it very comfortable.

Another test are the dogs. They get tossed about far less in the back of this car than in the 4Runner.
      05-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Interesting, thanks. I realize the ride won't be as cushy as a lexus or something, but that's not what I want. I just was wondering how it compared to the normal sport suspension, if regular shocks would be able to handle some of the low-speed situations better than the computerized system trying to over think it.

Sounds like it works well. I'll have to see if my dealer has any vehicles on the lot with it so I can try it out.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I posted in another thread that the dynamic comfort package was the best bang for the buck of any package I ordered on my car.

BMW uses a whack of names for the dynamic dampers...

I find the sport setting can sometimes feel jittery on secondary roads but when I switch to comfort mode the car is very smooth. I haven't been able to determine if the EcoPro mode is the same as the comfort mode.

You mentioned Lexus as a comparison... it was one of the few brands I did not test drive before buying the BMW so I can offer an opinion on that comparison.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
I posted in another thread that the dynamic comfort package was the best bang for the buck of any package I ordered on my car.

BMW uses a whack of names for the dynamic dampers...

I find the sport setting can sometimes feel jittery on secondary roads but when I switch to comfort mode the car is very smooth. I haven't been able to determine if the EcoPro mode is the same as the comfort mode.

You mentioned Lexus as a comparison... it was one of the few brands I did not test drive before buying the BMW so I can offer an opinion on that comparison.
Awesome, good to hear. I threw Lexus out there just because it's the first thing that came to mind. I haven't driven any of those either, mostly because they don't have any models that interest me at this point.
Appreciate 0