BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
raagnihi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 28i

Smile Ordered New X3 28i - and now questions

Hello X3ers:

Finally ordered a 2012 - x3 28i. Blue water metallic, Premium Package, Tech Package, power tail gate, shades, roof rails for my wife. Mainly for my wife and support as baby wagon for my 2 year old daughter . Test Drove and just liked it and placed the order. The choice of options looks feminine, but then this is for my wife...

The CA spent lot of time to discuss the preminum and tech options , but now I seem to have lot more questions after placing the order.

voice activation feature: With the above listed build, will the voice activation button be available on the steeing wheel ?

I noticed the R - P - D and M/S transimission option; will there be a normal and sport mode also available. My wife uses the normal mode and she was not curious to look at the DHP, Sport package etc...and I did not verify either. I am guessing there will still be the two options of normal and sport...is that right.

What should be the basic checklist I need to go thru when I visit the dealer for pick up ? Most critical ones that current owners recommend based on experience and field issues in the recent past ?

Is it worth while to go for the extended warranty now or should I choose later ?

Is there any other program the dealer is likely to offer from service standpoint ?

Do we need to use 93 octane fuel always, or can we switch to 87 say after 10K miles or so ?

I'll list more questions as they pop up between me and my wife
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 12:46 AM   #2
KF
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 30D

Garage List
Hi

Have just completed first1000km in our 30 D X3.

The suspension has a loverly balance between firmness and supple. I think the variable suspension would just mess either the ride or handling.

Likewise the Auto is very clever, why would you want other phases? If you want to cruise it can just be cruisey, if you want to gun it you can get some very rapid shifts as it is.

Most high performance motors are more economical on their recommended octane fuel.

KF
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by raagnihi View Post
Hello X3ers:

Finally ordered a 2012 - x3 28i. Blue water metallic, Premium Package, Tech Package, power tail gate, shades, roof rails for my wife. Mainly for my wife and support as baby wagon for my 2 year old daughter . Test Drove and just liked it and placed the order. The choice of options looks feminine, but then this is for my wife...

The CA spent lot of time to discuss the preminum and tech options , but now I seem to have lot more questions after placing the order.

voice activation feature: With the above listed build, will the voice activation button be available on the steeing wheel ? yes

I noticed the R - P - D and M/S transimission option; will there be a normal and sport mode also available. My wife uses the normal mode and she was not curious to look at the DHP, Sport package etc...and I did not verify either. I am guessing there will still be the two options of normal and sport...is that right. yes, if you move shift knob to left you engage MS

What should be the basic checklist I need to go thru when I visit the dealer for pick up ? Most critical ones that current owners recommend based on experience and field issues in the recent past ? make sure your x3 has all of the options you order. check for any dents, scratches any sort of blemish. make sure everything is in order before you drive it out.

Is it worth while to go for the extended warranty now or should I choose later ? if your planning to keep it for more then 4yrs yes..i personally dont keep any car more then 4yrs so i dont get extended warranty

Is there any other program the dealer is likely to offer from service standpoint ? not sure

Do we need to use 93 octane fuel always, or can we switch to 87 say after 10K miles or so ? i use 93 on all of bmws i have own

good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Go for heated steering and seats. Check if you need BMW Apps and HID lights. Sun roof is also good to have.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
+1 on xenons, heated seats
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Ordered New X3 28i - and now questions. Wrong order Mate... you should have asked questions first then ordered.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
DGDuerr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hello X3ers:

voice activation feature: With the above listed build, will the voice activation button be available on the steeing wheel ?

I noticed the R - P - D and M/S transimission option; will there be a normal and sport mode also available. My wife uses the normal mode and she was not curious to look at the DHP, Sport package etc...and I did not verify either. I am guessing there will still be the two options of normal and sport...is that right.

What should be the basic checklist I need to go thru when I visit the dealer for pick up ? Most critical ones that current owners recommend based on experience and field issues in the recent past ?

Is it worth while to go for the extended warranty now or should I choose later ?

Is there any other program the dealer is likely to offer from service standpoint ?

Do we need to use 93 octane fuel always, or can we switch to 87 say after 10K miles or so ?

Congratulations!
1. voice activation will be on the steering wheel
2. Transmission: please remember this is an 8 speed transmission, in normal mode (not sport or manual shift mode), its programmed to start slow - probably for better gas mileage. Lots of comments from owners that it seems to hesitate - and that is not the case. Quick take-offs can be achieved by using the manually shifting the automatic transmission. Once your wife gets accustomed to it, it will be fine
3. Extended warranty: you can get it just before the factory warranty expires - do it then. What if you get rid of the car before hand? There is an additional warranty that covers the wheels AND rims. If you area has bad roads, or your wife is prone to hit curbs and objects in the road - it will be worth it. The rims are expensive.... I have a client that has this warranty, and she loves it. You will see that some members of this site don't recommend the tire/wheel warranty, it depends.
4. Fuel Octane: Well, I was concerned about this too, but as you review the owners manual (which I suggest you start doing now), BMW considers "premium" to be 89 octane or above. I have never gotten anything less than 89 - even for my 4 cyl. Honda bomber vehicle. I always use the 93 octane in my BMW.

I love the suspension of my 28i, and I did not want the added baggage of the turbo version - I got all of the features that I wanted, and I love this vehicle. Your wife will love the power lift gate, and the built in shades will be great for the kids. After ordering my vehicle, it took about 3 weeks to arrive at my dealer....so, my biggest suggestion it to read the owners manual, and understand what options you ordered and what to expect. Make sure you get registered at the BMWUSA web site so that you will be able to track and view the video for YOUR BMW. Have fun.
      02-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Hello X3ers:

I see that you're in Columbia, which is only 100 miles form the factory in Greer. Have you considered doing a Performance Center Delivery?

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ryProgram.aspx
Appreciate 0