BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-02-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Why X3? Why not X5, 335i, Q5, LR2-4...

Just curious. I have my own reasons why I've selected the X3 above all others, just curious why others have landed on this choice.

For me:

1. Already a BMW fan.
2. Mileage (we're scaling down on size and gas)
3. Budget (dream cars aren't dreams if you can't afford them)
4. All-wheel drive (Colorado) - existing car is RWD (horrible in snow)
5. Options, options, options... I love me some options and accessories!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Q5 is a stunningly beautiful automobile - well equipped, similar priced. however its no match for the X3 in handling, and neither Q5 engine comes close to the 35i engine.

i had a 328xi wagon before this, wanted something a little bigger, little faster, and more options. BMW maintenance for 50k and the resale value of my 328xi kept w/ in the family. Only 1 feature on the X5 i would want is the 35d engine, but in the end its bigger than what i want - the size of the X3 is just right for my needs.

I have to admit i only compared the X3 to the Q5 extensively - and I looked at the EX35 (infiniti) its sized more like an X1 imho. too small, comes with mixed mode tires only and the salesman was the most pressure seller i've ever dealt with. didn't look at LR2 or XC60 over lack of interest and didn't look at the GLK because its ugly and members of my family have had some very bad luck w/ Mercedes in the past few years.

I tried, really tried to like the Q5, but i can tell you the sharp highway onramp during my last test drive - the exact spot where I decided the steering sucks to the point of dropping the Q5 from consideration. I test drove 3 @ Q5's a 2.0T with no miles on it (under 100) - a 3.2 demo model w/ 3500 miles - and at another dealer a 2.0T that was a sales managers ride also with over 3000 miles on it. The fact that the steering felt alot looser on both Q5's with 3000 miles than the 3rd Q5 that had no miles was of huge concern to me. 2.0T engine is great in the A4, little too much lag for the Q5.

I've had the X3 coming up on 3 weeks, no regrets at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

X3 has the best listed mpg for it's class/power.

MB GLK - I liked the ride, but I didn't like the exterior shape or mpg.

Audi Q5 - I was back and forth between the X3 and Q5. The Q5 feels like your driving a sedan which is a big plus. What I didn't like was..
- Perforated mesh like sunroof cover that never completely blocks out the sun and doesn't offer any sound insulating properties like a regular sliding cover.
- Trunk has a lip which makes it impossible to lay in the back comfortably with legs sticking out.
- Rear seats don't fold flat. X3's seats aren't completely flat but much flatter than the Q5.
- Non-wide screen Nav looked really cheap after seeing the X3's wide screen
- Too many buttons everywhere. I love tech and gadgets, but there were so many buttons it looked messy
- Love audi steering (rally car feel), but I hate the fact that it looks like they put a bun on the steering wheel
- Specs say Q5 has more interior & cargo space than the X5. I test trove both 4 times before making a decision. X3 felt far more spacious to me. I was able to lay in the back of the X3 and close the tailgate. Couldn't do that with the Q5. I'm not going to argue the specs but I can't imagine how the Q5 can possibly be bigger inside. It felt much smaller.

Infinity EX35
- I agree with Greg, too little space inside. It's an SUV with no more space than a small sedan.

X3 has a few negatives.
- Some cheap materials, like the door pockets.
- Lots of forum reports of moisture/flooding in the car.
- Excess wind noise
- No place for a spare if you don't want to use Run Flats

X3 won! It should arrive by the end of this month!
      10-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

That's good stuff!

One car I wasn't able to compare was the Q5. I went to the dealership and they didn't have one and the sales guy was weak. So, I'm happy to see you compared them pretty well and decided on the X3.

I like the bigger tires on the Q5 and it has a nice rear half. But the grill isn't my fav. Since I couldn't drive one, glad to hear about the handling.

I drove the GLK and, yeah, it's boxy, underpowered, horrible gas mileage, no heated steering wheel option, smaller, and the nav doesn't compare. Nice 20" wheel option and USAA pricing on Benzs' is very good.

I wrote off a bunch just on looks (XC60-90, SRX)... I liked the Touareg TDI, it was peppy and had great mileage for a slightly larger class, but in the end, I felt VW was overpriced for what you got.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I agree, I like the Q5 rear styling, but the grill not so much.

I did test drive the Volvo XC60 because I love the exterior styling. While a decent car, it didn't have any WOW factor you get from driving a German car. The XC60 felt very bland.
      10-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

I forgot about the perforated moonroof screen!

Dukat - you're right. I forgot about the sun screen on the moonroof. Most of the cars I looked at had screening, but no block out. Truth be told, I'd like both! But if I had to choose; block out.

I was unaware the X3 didn't have a spare... I thought it was one of those deflated, compact spares hidden somewhere.

Good analysis.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I priced out the Touareg but didn't bother with the test drive when I saw a loaded Touareg was more than a loaded X3.
      10-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

I still have small amount of buyers regret when I see a Q5 in white or black with 19" + rims - it beats the X3 on looks hands down but.... the performance in the audi diesel engines is sluggish and cant live with the bmw

Also considered Xc60 volvo, F10 bmw and XF jaguar

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

No sedan as i want ground clearance.
Our sewage system is not really good and often clogged, so when rainy season comes, we often get "small flood" (or really big puddles, depends on how you look at it ) which sometimes can reach 15-20cm depth, sometimes even deeper.
I have seen many BMW and Mercedes sedans are damaged due to hydrolocking because of the "puddles". Also read quite many complaints in the paper and local forum about that issue, usually noting that Japanese sedans around his/her German sedan passed it safely, why his/hers cannot.. (maybe the German sedans sold here should have come with "auto boat" feature)

While I personally have never encounter those deep "puddles" (thankfully), it is just a piece of mind knowing that I would be able to clear it if I happen to be at that wrong time and place (hopefully never).

If I were living somewhere else, I may have choosen the F10 5 series, Jaguar XF, or W212 E-class.

Why not X5, Q5, or LR..
X5 is sort of out of my budget for now, the price difference between X3 20d and X5 30d here is about 40k USD.
LR.. well don't really like the reliability record.
Q5.. no diesel offering here, doesn't handle as good as the X3, and I prefer the X3 interior design over the Q5. The Q5 sold here sort of have the "downspec'ed" MMI, which doesn't put the controller on the center console where your hand is resting, but up below the CD slot in the dash.
Although I have to admit.. I agree with Bimmer UK's post below

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
I still have small amount of buyers regret when I see a Q5 in white or black with 19" + rims ...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I still have small amount of buyers regret when I see a Q5 in white or black with 19" + rims - it beats the X3 on looks hands down but.
I agree, great looking design with the Q5. There's always a trade-off. No manufacturer gets it right all in 1 car. Initially looks is what made the Q5 my top choice.
      10-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I really wanted the Q5, partly because I was looking for a change after 6 BMWs in a row. When I looked at the details - handling, diesel economy and performance I knew I was doomed....it had to be the X3.
      10-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #12
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
I still have small amount of buyers regret when I see a Q5 in white or black with 19" + rims - it beats the X3 on looks hands down but.... the performance in the audi diesel engines is sluggish and cant live with the bmw

Also considered Xc60 volvo, F10 bmw and XF jaguar
I had a lead on an Audi 2.0T equipped about as I wanted it although had the 19"s not the 18"S and it did NOT have their sound system upgrade - i think its Bang & Olufsen). it was on a boat at the time I ordered my X3 - destined for a local dealer. In the end the X3 ordered to spec won. Dukat - i forgot about that joke mesh sunshade - that's gonna get hot in the summer.

Tell you what, if you had the Audi w/ the 19" rims, the first time you took a corner and the steering felt like a Chevy Suburban, you'd have buyers regret over the X3.

Space and size Q5 vs X3 - as Dukat said, if the Q5 is bigger, you can't tell - maybe a little bit behind the rear seats, but negligible. As for the runflats - I already dealt with the acceptance of RFT tires when I bought the 328 - i saw it as a huge drawback, and I got over it.

I kept seeing the commercial for Audi where the guy gets out of his 3 series on the highway and climbs up a truck full of audi's, and everyone one already has someone in it... "More BMW, Benz and Lexus owners are switching to Audi..." I really thought that would be myself as well. just didn't happen quite that way. I'm sure the folks on the Q5 forum on Audiworld miss my wit and sarcasm as much as you all enjoy it
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #13
bmfanatic
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi sport sedan 6mt

I had ordered an Audi S4 but couldn't lease it because Audi/vw finance dont lease or finance cars to car dealers! (i wholesale cars for a living) So same Rule applied to the Q5/touareg...

Had a GLK for a couple of days last year and really hated it - transmission is horrible, almost cvt like, engine is weak, seats have no support and the dashboard looks like a cheap phone from radio shack!

Was going to wait for the f30 but no xi model for a year or so, And with the winters we get here, buying a rwd car for my wife is calling for disaster! Saw the x3 m sport at a dealer and Thought it would be a nice compromise between sport space comfort looks and luxury. Placed my order and hoping i Will enjoy it!
2007 CBR1000R repsol
2002 rvt1000r sp2
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #14
XB101
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 TiAg X3 35i

I love this thread! Funny thing is I test driven a Nissan Xterra and then the X3 the next day. After that I went to the Audi dealership and the sales staff did not attend to me nor another set of customers. Don't like the GLK and didn't consider the Volvo.

So far quite happy with the vehicle. The throttle takes getting used to and car would look better with bigger wheels. Other than that I am quite happy. IT is the most expensive car I've own so far.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #15
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

You guys did some research!

I thought I did a fair amount of research, but some of you guys put me to shame. Good thing is, I can see similar themes run through the thread that make me comfortable and confident in my purchase.

As the Audi dealer didn't have a Q5 to show me, it came down to the GLK, Touareg and X3... Really, the only reason the GLK got in there was the sales guy and the facility. In Colo Spgs, the Benz dealership is by far the best. The facility is wonderful and they offered for me to take the car home for a night.

In the end, the GLK wasn't even close. Touareg, too expensive once loaded up. LR2 too puny, LR4 too expensive, XC60-90 seemed kind of boring to me and weak sales people (in that they couldn't really demonstrate the product well - e.g., navigation), Infinity - bad sales guy and wasn't that interested anyways. I've always disliked the Lexus brand. They are good quality cars, from what I've heard, but just not attractive. And the Cadillac... have you seen them? 'nough said.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 11:20 PM   #16
XRP
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

I think the q5 needs 1 more redisign to hit the spot.. And I'm looking forwards to seeing the porch Cajun
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 03:46 AM   #17
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
Dealer location. I work away so if there is a problem I know they will look after the missus (not in that way!!!)
Economy/Performance balance
4x4. At the moment I have a winter car (x-trail petrol) and a summer car (passat diesel). Once the X3 arrives I'll only need 1.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 04:35 AM   #18
ivanoski
F25 X3 2.0 Diesel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW x3 20d 8SpdAUTO BLACK

My complete buying process of cars i considered, if i did not list it , it is because i didn't consider it, Also the cars had to be fun to drive, not too expensive and have decent power:

NIssan Murano: Ugly as balls, nice interior and sound, nope, still ugly in the outside. but, it has power with its VQ v6 engine! Nope still butt ugly...

Nissan Xtrail : nice mini truck look but small size and spartan options.

Nissan pathfinder: interior looks and feels cheap and dated.

Mazda cx7 : looks okay, not not great. just different, but felt horribly underpowered (diesel), few options and shit sound system. unimpressed.

VW Tiguan (before the visual overhaul, new models were not here yet) : peppy engine but not powerful enough (diesel). drives nice and handles good. feels smaller than it actually is (in a bad way), but it looks like a girls car.

Mitsubishi Montero: Too big and expensive, spartant features
Mitsubishi Outback sport: Underpowered, not even considered because of that.
Mitsubishi Nativa: Underpowered, slow, rough ride, and Dinosaur 4 speed transmission WTF! (diesel)

Audi Q5: didn't drive it just looked at it, interior felt nice, car looks a bit feminine though, engine less powerful than BMW (20L Diesel), SHIT looking dealership didnt inspire trust. EXPENSIVE

Mercedes: out of price range, all models too expensive

Toyota 4runner: Beautiful vehicle (in a bulldog sort of way) loved everything about it except the size (too big) and fuel economy. But is supposed to be fast,.

Toyota FJ Cruiser: Nice engine, interesting styling, but felt and looked like an over-sized toy, funky plastic bumpers were a turn off, interior looked like a toy, rear access awkward for such a large vehicle. Felt immature.

Toyota Rav 4: Meh, that is all.

Hyundai Santa Fe: Spartan interior, looks dated, no leather, just felt previous generation, everybody has one! and i still don't trust Korean cars.
Hyundai Tucson: didn't even bother
Hyundai Veracruz : ewww, just ewww. felt like santa fe only larger and uglier.

Ford Edge: Loved the styling, the engine, the price and the options. Fully loaded for the price, very impressed and was a serious contender for me to purchase. why i dind't buy it? Ford sync visuals look and feel dated, i was expecting something more modern looking, it felt like comparing windows CE to an Iphone in outdated infotainment styling. Also ford sync felt slow and sluggish. Touch sensitive buttons on everything, do not like. I felt i didn't know when i pressed the touch sensitive buttons. Fuel economy not so hot and the car feels heavy when you drive it. Great interior, except for those damn touch sensitive buttons. Also buttons and anything else looks like they will wear off easily with time, especially the faux chrome bits. Good quality some places (interior) questionable quality elsewhere (grill and engine compartment.)

Honda CRV: SOCCER MOM CAR! SO Feminine!

Finally:

BMW x1 : too small too underpowered, too stiff, not enough options available.
BMW X5: would love everything about it but it is too expensive.
BMW X3: Love the way it handles (feels smaller than it is), Love the looks, love the angel eyes, love the peppy engine and power (for a 2 liter diesel it is impressive, more than adequate for city driving), standard audio sometimes leaves you wanting for more. I like that it is not too mainstream, i don't see many x3 driving around yet. Still expensive though, but i wanted a BMW sooo bad! so far WORTH IT.

Last edited by ivanoski; 10-03-2011 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: Spelling Mistakes Everywhere
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #19
Ranger 6
Yorkshireman trapped in a Berkshire postcode
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d M-Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW X3  [0.00]
I'm still on the E83, but can contribute here as I've just changed it for an LCI 3.0d M-Sport

FFRR - TDV8 - fantastic car, quiet, refined & comfortable - but, too heavy, too thirsty, rolls too much when pushed, not fast enough for a 3.6 V8, Highest UK road tax band

RRS - TDV8 as FFRR

X5 - just too big, otherwise as the X3

Q5 - boot looked too small, friends who's got one tells me the ride is appalling

Touareg - fantastic car, quiet, refined & comfortable - but, a bit heavy, thirsty, feels uncomfortable when pushed, not fast enough next to the X3, Highest UK road tax band

Cayenne - WANT, just can't afford

X3 - fastest 3.0d of all above, best handling, decent space, good economy, sensible UK road tax band (£200 cheaper than all the above) and that's the E83 - I'm saving for a s/h F25

Evoque - too small inside, feels cramped, uneconomical & slow when compared to a similarly priced X3 (you can get a 3.0d M-Sport for less than a 2.2d Evoque Dynamic)
      10-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #20
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

One word review of Ivan's reviews

damn!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #21
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger 6 View Post
I'm still on the E83, but can contribute here as I've just changed it for an LCI 3.0d M-Sport

FFRR - TDV8 - fantastic car, quiet, refined & comfortable - but, too heavy, too thirsty, rolls too much when pushed, not fast enough for a 3.6 V8, Highest UK road tax band

RRS - TDV8 as FFRR

X5 - just too big, otherwise as the X3

Q5 - boot looked too small, friends who's got one tells me the ride is appalling

Touareg - fantastic car, quiet, refined & comfortable - but, a bit heavy, thirsty, feels uncomfortable when pushed, not fast enough next to the X3, Highest UK road tax band

Cayenne - WANT, just can't afford

X3 - fastest 3.0d of all above, best handling, decent space, good economy, sensible UK road tax band (£200 cheaper than all the above) and that's the E83 - I'm saving for a s/h F25

Evoque - too small inside, feels cramped, uneconomical & slow when compared to a similarly priced X3 (you can get a 3.0d M-Sport for less than a 2.2d Evoque Dynamic)
Agree on Q5 ride. Didn't like auto transmission much either and found it impossible to find a comfortable driving position but it's a better looking car

Re. Touareg, the new model (T3) is in tax band I/J for the V6 TDi (£210/£245) which is less than 1/2 the price of the top band. It's also supposed to be 38-40mpg combined

New Cayenne looks awesome. Old one not so much

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0