BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-24-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
iFroze
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

iPhone 4 Media Snap in Adapters - Demystifled

-

I see that some people are still struggling to connect their iPhones to these adapters so lets try again to clarify how to do it.
It sounds more complicated then it is, but it's very simple.

What is needed:
- I have 6NR option with Pro Nav
- I have a media adapter (84212199392 - http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...31&startrow=26)
- I have an iPhone 4
- I have downloaded BMW Connected app for free (http://appshopper.com/entertainment/bmw-connected)
- I downloaded Pandora (optional)

When I attach my iPhone to this adapter, and select ConnectedDrive from car's main menu, I have these options:
- I can listen to Web Radio stations (listed under Apps)
- I have approach to my whole iTunes library (songs, photos, videos) with all the albums art cover images with a nice organized iTunes listing interface (listed under Plugin)
- I can do Facebook and Tweeter
- I can see my calendar (assuming of course that you already synced iTunes with iCal/Outlook from your computer and put it on your iPone)
- Pandora
- BMW also captures info of how many liters of gas you have left in your tank, how many km you have made on your car so far.

I believe that you cannot get these functions if using only USB cable without adapter except for playing songs (but even than the listing of the songs is without any interface). I have even tried connecting flash drives, hard drives, ipods (note that only certain devices are compatible - http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/_teaserpool/...Dec__09_en.pdf) to my X3 but the options are very limited.

If anyone has a trouble connecting the above mentioned equipment, please drive your car outside of garage and try again. iPhone likes nice internet signal for this matter. Initially, I also had a problem making this to work thinking that there was something wrong with my snap-in adapter. After keep trying for sometime it got connected and since then everything functions as it should as soon as I put iPhone into this adapter.

(this video shows above explained procedure, but it does not include calendar function which was added to a latter BMW Connected app updated version)
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Looks good. Thanks for posting. Great to have photos and videos from iPhone on the iDrive screen

Calendar functionality useful as only way to do it with an iPhone as no BMW Office. Is the fuel kept up to date so you can check offline when you're not in the car? Any news on potential new useful applications? Facebook and Twitter of no interest to me in the car really and I have DAB and FStream so don't need Pandora.

Not sure what you mean on limited interface for USB songs though? I get lists, search by album, artist, folder and artwork when playing from a USB stick. What more do you get with 6NR?

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Fuel status is only updated when the iPhone is connected, either via cradle or USB, and the BMW Connected App is run.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks. Purely on the fuel issue still mystified why you need an App on a phone cable connected to your car to tell you the fuel status when you can look at the dashboard. What would be useful would be to have car status info on the remote App.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3buyerScotland View Post
Thanks. Purely on the fuel issue still mystified why you need an App on a phone cable connected to your car to tell you the fuel status when you can look at the dashboard. What would be useful would be to have car status info on the remote App.
Exactly. Completely pointless if it doesn't update automatically or allow you to check remotely a la My BMW Remote. So much potential. So little product

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
iFroze
Private
Canada
Rep

-
-
Hi Sfax,
Yes, it is more about potentials with iPhone and adapter combo than what it offers right now. Hopefully, future BMW Connected versions would add more interesting features. At least now, I can listen to my web radio that I love and I can visually select albums especially while I'm driving.

I'm not so sure in which situation you need to know about the last measured (via direct iPhone to adapter connection) fuel amount left in your tank, but maybe there is some good use for it that we have not face it yet.

I see that my previous link for compatible devices is not working so here is the correct one:
http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/_teaserpool/...Dec__09_en.pdf
or to go a page back, through this link:
http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/owners/navig...usb_audio.html

First of all, all these USB devices (except iPod V gen.) cannot hold more then 16GB. I have much more music and videos to carry around with me then that. So, I love to have 32GB that my iPhone 4 provides. In fact, when a new iPhone 5 comes out, I will use this iPhone 4 only for music, video and calendar, and iPhone 5 would be used for all other needs (gaming, productivity, photography….)
Again, I have tried using USB drives some time ago, and I remember that it was harder to navigate thought the lists and that not all my music mp3 files that I put on that drive were showing up (I have no idea why since there were all converted to mp3 the same way). Finally, in my opinion, the sound quality though adapter was much better then what I was getting via USB cable.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I had taken "Connected" to mean keeping you connected to interesting things but I now see it means things you can do when you connect your phone by wire to your car. With technology about to make iDrive become EyeDrive and do things by just looking at them this seems to be a step back until the functions become super duper. Surprisingly underdeveloped for such a modern car.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
I connect my Iphone 4 with just the white cable and can get all the functions you listed except for video playback. I haven't bought the snap in adaptor because other than video playback, it seems useless.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFroze View Post
-
-
Hi Sfax,
Yes, it is more about potentials with iPhone and adapter combo than what it offers right now. Hopefully, future BMW Connected versions would add more interesting features. At least now, I can listen to my web radio that I love and I can visually select albums especially while I'm driving.

I'm not so sure in which situation you need to know about the last measured (via direct iPhone to adapter connection) fuel amount left in your tank, but maybe there is some good use for it that we have not face it yet.

I see that my previous link for compatible devices is not working so here is the correct one:
http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/_teaserpool/...Dec__09_en.pdf
or to go a page back, through this link:
http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/owners/navig...usb_audio.html

First of all, all these USB devices (except iPod V gen.) cannot hold more then 16GB. I have much more music and videos to carry around with me then that. So, I love to have 32GB that my iPhone 4 provides. In fact, when a new iPhone 5 comes out, I will use this iPhone 4 only for music, video and calendar, and iPhone 5 would be used for all other needs (gaming, productivity, photography….)
Again, I have tried using USB drives some time ago, and I remember that it was harder to navigate thought the lists and that not all my music mp3 files that I put on that drive were showing up (I have no idea why since there were all converted to mp3 the same way). Finally, in my opinion, the sound quality though adapter was much better then what I was getting via USB cable.
Yeah, I'm hoping for more to come and think as more people have this option some better apps will follow. I like its potential, it's just a slow burner for now. Better to have it than not IMO and I would have ordered it if I could have but i was too early.

Re. 32GB, I have a 32GB USB flash drive full of music and it all works well. Solid state, quick to index, artwork, no alphabetical order bug.

Re. sound quality, I'm not 100% sure but I think the iPod/iPhone is treated as a data storage device like any other for the purposes of playing music so sound quality will be the same if source files are the same. The digital signal is processed and decoded by the iDrive in the same way. I think it would only be different if the device was doing the decoding (e.g. if you were using AUX).

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #10
iFroze
Private
Canada
Rep

Sfax, could you please mention which model of usb 32GB flash drive are you using since non of them are listed on bmw's web site as compatible.
I'm not so sure about the sound quality, but to my amateur ear it sounded better via adapter.

Want the thrill, you missed to mention that web radio would not work via Y USB cable either.

At the end, syncing via iTunes keeps everything in one place without any need for moving files from one drive to another. Just more simple and elegant way to store and connect through one device.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sfax, could you please mention which model of usb 32GB flash drive are you using since non of them are listed on bmw's web site as compatible.
I'm not so sure about the sound quality, but to my amateur ear it sounded better via adapter.

Want the thrill, you missed to mention that web radio would not work via Y USB cable either.

At the end, syncing via iTunes keeps everything in one place without any need for moving files from one drive to another. Just more simple and elegant way to store and connect through one device.
It's a cheap and cheerful one from http://7dayshop.com/. Only cost £21 including delivery. Bought it specifically for the car. Does the job well. I use iTunes too but only because I'm forced to. I hate iTunes but I use it because I love my iPhone 4 and iPod nano. From a software design point of view iTunes stinks IMO

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #12
drwoodsy
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

I must have a faulty adapter or connection. App works through USB but not media adapter. Will need to visit the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #13
iFroze
Private
Canada
Rep

Hi drwoodsy, maybe you should not give up yet. It took me a while to make mine working (and I thought my adapter is defective too).

Assuming you have fit your adapter properly into the armrest, when you insert you iPhone into it, does it chime or does it show that the iPhone's battery is getting charged (a little lighting sign is inside the battery icon)?

If it does, it may be all ok with the adapter.
Than, you should drive your x3 outside where you can have an internet signal on your iPhone but do not connect your iPhone to the adapter yet. Hold your iPhone in your hand and than open BMW Connected app and you go into "Info" menu -> check connection -> self-diagnosis -> connect your phone (now insert iPhone to click into the adapter) and wait to see what it says - try this couple of times (mine finally worked after so many attempts).
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 06:47 PM   #14
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Web radio works just fine for me and I'm not using the "Y" cable, just the standard white usb cable.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 09:35 PM   #15
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Web radio works just fine for me and I'm not using the "Y" cable, just the standard white usb cable.
Works fine on the standard white cable for me too.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 08:48 AM   #16
iFroze
Private
Canada
Rep

I have started this topic mainly to help those who already bought an snap-in adapter for their iPhones and who have trouble making them to connect to work properly.

Those of you who may have a car without 6NR i pro navigation, I see why you may be eager to prove that USB cable connection is as good as with a snap-in adapter.

For those who still have a chance to choose which way to go, maybe before you decide you should see the difference btw. two interfaces, one with adapter and one using usb cable:

snap-in adapter:

usb:

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 09:38 AM   #17
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
I have the technology package, BMW apps etc, but just have not spent the money yet to get the adapter & don't know that I will since my screen looks just like your screen shot using the adapter. I think this is a good thread though for people who are deciding. I'm glad I have the option to buy the adapter if at some point it will provide me with more than just a video option. Right now the white cable gives me everything that the adapter does (except for video) and the screen looks identical.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #18
iFroze
Private
Canada
Rep

Want the thrill,
I'm happy for you that you had a choice and you still have chosen USB cable for getting some media functions in your car.

At the same time, I'm also very happy to spend a little bit extra and have an elegant adapter combo with my iPhone. I also have an usb cable and y cable that I got before buying this adapter, but I never went back of using any of these cables. I love to snap my iPhone in with more functions.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 04:15 PM   #19
brianjarvis
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 M Sport Carbon Black

Argggggggggghhhhhh

IFROZE,
Thanks for all this info. I took my car outside and followed your directions but the "self diagnosis" consistently says "cancelled due to error" and 'connection to vehicle failed" even though the stereo started streaming songs from my itunes. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #20
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Want the thrill,
I'm happy for you that you had a choice and you still have chosen USB cable for getting some media functions in your car.

At the same time, I'm also very happy to spend a little bit extra and have an elegant adapter combo with my iPhone. I also have an usb cable and y cable that I got before buying this adapter, but I never went back of using any of these cables. I love to snap my iPhone in with more functions.
Happy for you too I think we both did the smart thing and got BMW apps so we can take advantage of what may come out down the road that we will be able to utilize. At some point, I'm sure I'll end up with the adaptor.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #21
iFroze
Private
Canada
Rep

Want the thrill - Best of luck to you too!

Brian, you did not say if your iPhone was giving the sign of being charged when you put it into the adapter.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 02:25 AM   #22
Max1Factor
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20i M Sport

Assuming the (uk) dealer gave me the correct Media snap-in, I have part number 84 21 2 218 390 03 version 2.0 18/08/11 and it's all connecting for me with iPhone4.

May be worth noting that afaik there is a recent update to the snap-in that adds a fan to keep the phone cooler - see version and date label below. If yours is running hot and doesnt have a fan, you might want to take it back for a swap out.
Attached Images

Last edited by Max1Factor; 09-26-2011 at 03:50 AM..
Appreciate 0