BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-06-2014, 01:40 PM   #1
kwcbimmer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 28i

2-wk driving feelings

Got my X3 2-3 wks ago, like its power and acceleration on hwys...but have some small issues/questions:
1) as mentioned in the previous reply to a thread, the "HiFi" sound really dissapoint me;
2) slight "squeaking" noise from the mid-pillar;
3) feel vibrating from the steering wheel when it's around 50-60 km/h under light acceleration...feel like engine/transmission doesn't know where to go...it's struggling? I didn't feel it during test drive.
4) its around 11.5 L/100 Km (never reset it since pickup) about 40/60 hwy/local. Is it normal?

It's my first BMW, maybe I'm too sensitive, or something really wrong?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

I am sorry you are having issues with your X3. I was not entirely happy with mine for perhaps 3 months when I bought it.
I am surprised that your HiFi isn't good. I think I have the standard business HiFi and I am really impressed by the sound quality. I did adjust bass and balance for my ears and I love it!
I am sure the squeaking noise is a simple fix.
Are you driving in 'comfort' mode, because the system will drop you to as low a gear as it can in order to save fuel. This can have the effect of feeling like the engine is laboring and it can be felt through the steering wheel. I am used to this on my car now, but if I want the engine to respond quicker, I flip the shift into sport mode and this normally puts it in a higher gear and lifts the revs.
Not sure about the economy? Mine is a diesel!
Hope you can resolve your problems and start to enjoy your car! I love mine now from a point where I was ready to sell it!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

I'm tracking at 11.3 roughly since we took delivery of the car a year ago. It's worse this winter because it has been especially cold.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #4
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwcbimmer View Post
Got my X3 2-3 wks ago, like its power and acceleration on hwys...but have some small issues/questions:
1) as mentioned in the previous reply to a thread, the "HiFi" sound really dissapoint me;
2) slight "squeaking" noise from the mid-pillar;
3) feel vibrating from the steering wheel when it's around 50-60 km/h under light acceleration...feel like engine/transmission doesn't know where to go...it's struggling? I didn't feel it during test drive.
4) its around 11.5 L/100 Km (never reset it since pickup) about 40/60 hwy/local. Is it normal?

It's my first BMW, maybe I'm too sensitive, or something really wrong?
If you like listening to loud music, you should have gotten the audio upgrade option. The standard audio is not bad, better than most other standard audio systems.
Get the dealer to look the squeak, maybe its a easy fix.
Its a BMW, you are suppose to feel the road.
Don't even look at the gas mileage computer before 5000 miles, 10000 km, as your car is still breaking in as far as gas mileage wise.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
If you like listening to loud music, you should have gotten the audio upgrade option. The standard audio is not bad, better than most other standard audio systems.
Don't even look at the gas mileage computer before 5000 miles, 10000 km, as your car is still breaking in as far as gas mileage wise.
He did get the audio upgrade...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #6
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

I don't quite remember the packaging on 2014 X3 28i Canadian Spec.. but on 2013.. the base stereo is a 5 speaker.. and would require the Executive Package to get the 676 HiFi. Much better.. but not great. US Spec gets 676 standard.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 12:34 PM   #7
kwcbimmer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
-ya, I've got the best sound system available to Canadians on 28i...for the next level, I need up to 35i
-have called the dealer...gonna get them to look at the squeaking next Mon.
-I turely don't think it's the feeling of road...just want to know whether vibration at 50-60km/h at light acceleration is normal for all? if it is, I guess I have to live with it, or always put it in sport.
-it jumps to 11.6L/100km today. I'll keep monitoring it...it may be due to harsh winter here....ya, kinda start feeling Spring today
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
-ya, I've got the best sound system available to Canadians on 28i...for the next level, I need up to 35i
-I turely don't think it's the feeling of road...just want to know whether vibration at 50-60km/h at light acceleration is normal for all? if it is, I guess I have to live with it, or always put it in sport.
-it jumps to 11.6L/100km today. I'll keep monitoring it...it may be due to harsh winter here....ya, kinda start feeling Spring today
Not sure what the option packages are in Canada. How mant watt is your sound system?
So you are saying that if you put the car in sport mode and cruise at 60km/h, the problem goes away?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #9
kwcbimmer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what the option packages are in Canada. How mant watt is your sound system?
So you are saying that if you put the car in sport mode and cruise at 60km/h, the problem goes away?
Here is the sound system specs I got from BMW customer service:

HiFi speaker system, digital amplifier with vehicle-specific
equalizing, 205 W amplifier power, multi-channel.
12 loudspeakers:
- 1 centre tweeter in the instrument panel
- 1 centre midrange speaker in the instrument panel
- 2 tweeters in the front door trims
- 2 midrange speakers in the front door trims
- 2 central bass speakers underneath the front seats
- 2 tweeters in the rear door trims
- 2 midrange speakers in the rear door trims

I couldn't find Equalizer settings, though they said "digital amplifier with vehicle-specific equalizing". I can only adjust treble,bass,balance,and fader.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 09:05 AM   #10
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

This is the HK audio upgrade option in the US: Harman Kardon Surround Sound Audio system with vehicle-specific equalizing and powerful 600-watt amplifier; 16-speaker system includes 6 tweeters, 4 midrange speakers located in the door panels and 2 midrange speakers located under the rear shelf space, 2 bass speakers under front seats, 1 midrange center channel speaker and 1 tweeter located in the instrument cluster.

I believe your setup is standard in the US version of the F10.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #11
AnandS
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3

The audio in the Canadian X3 28i isn't good. Apparently MY2015 gets Harmon Kardon as an option. While the audio isn't in the same league as my wife's 2014 Kia, thanks to the Executive package the audio is way better than my mom's 2006 Mazda 3. I'll take that as a win.

Did you solve the vibration at 50-60 km/h? I haven't experienced that on my car. Perhaps you have a wheel out of balance, or ice/snow/mud packed inside a wheel.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #12
ghostdog1108
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4 M40i CARBON BLACK

Quote:
Vibration is not normal. Get it checked.
      03-10-2014, 10:26 PM   #13
kwcbimmer
Canada
Rep

wrt. vibration, I got the dealer check it today. here is the "result":
Cause: Normal characteristic of the four cylinder engine.
Correction: Road test. verified complaint. slight vibration in body at 1500 rpm. checked all mounts. ok. compared to another X3 28i. found vehicle had same vibration as well. normal operation. and is a characteristic of the four cylinder engine.

DO YOU BELIEVE IT? anyone driving X3 28i has the same experience?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 07:34 AM   #14
drivesmooth
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 Xdrive 20D SE

Quote:
wrt. vibration, I got the dealer check it today. here is the "result":
Cause: Normal characteristic of the four cylinder engine.
Correction: Road test. verified complaint. slight vibration in body at 1500 rpm. checked all mounts. ok. compared to another X3 28i. found vehicle had same vibration as well. normal operation. and is a characteristic of the four cylinder engine.

DO YOU BELIEVE IT? anyone driving X3 28i has the same experience?
same problem with my X3 20D and same answers from the dealer. looks like we just have to put up with bmw until many more people complain and they eventually acknowledge!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 01:21 PM   #15
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

I have a 2013 BMW X3 and it doesn't vibrate when I drive but when I first start it, it vibrates a little. It shouldn't be normal, try going to a different dealership or complain to the GM of the dealership. The mileage is normal like what a couple people have said, don't look at it for the first 5000 miles. Mine has horrible city mpg but has amazing highway mpg. Mine has 14 mpg average ( 16.8 L/100km ) with 90 percent city but I also have a very heavy foot. On the highway I get average of 29 mpg ( 8.11 L/ 100Km ). Hope things get sorted.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #16
mosborn78108
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2013 Frozen Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mge.92
I have a 2013 BMW X3 and it doesn't vibrate when I drive but when I first start it, it vibrates a little. It shouldn't be normal, try going to a different dealership or complain to the GM of the dealership. The mileage is normal like what a couple people have said, don't look at it for the first 5000 miles. Mine has horrible city mpg but has amazing highway mpg. Mine has 14 mpg average ( 16.8 L/100km ) with 90 percent city but I also have a very heavy foot. On the highway I get average of 29 mpg ( 8.11 L/ 100Km ). Hope things get sorted.
I have a 2014 X3 x28i, no noticeable vibrations from steering wheel while driving. Only small vibration is on engine restart when at stop light.

Gas mileage, 2800km, 20.6mpg city (70%) 26mpg autobahn--currently stationed in Germany, but US service member.

For the issues you describe, continue to bug the dealer--go to the GM. In the US there are lemon laws and the vibration lowers the value which is one of the reasons for buy back if uncorrected

Ride comfort on trips is good.

One poster suggested that comfort selects lowest possible rpm in comfort mode, I've experienced in Eco mode but no vibration

Mike
------------------
2013 Frozen Blue M3, Akropovic Exhaust
2011 Mini Clubman S
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 12:25 PM   #17
kwcbimmer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosborn78108 View Post
I have a 2014 X3 x28i, no noticeable vibrations from steering wheel while driving. Only small vibration is on engine restart when at stop light.

Gas mileage, 2800km, 20.6mpg city (70%) 26mpg autobahn--currently stationed in Germany, but US service member.

For the issues you describe, continue to bug the dealer--go to the GM. In the US there are lemon laws and the vibration lowers the value which is one of the reasons for buy back if uncorrected

Ride comfort on trips is good.

One poster suggested that comfort selects lowest possible rpm in comfort mode, I've experienced in Eco mode but no vibration
Thanks for the reply.

I'm currently dealing with them on the creaking issue. the dealer has identified the noise from rear doors, and tried to apply a type of lubricant. but the noise came back after two days. Now, they are going to replace the seal strips on the rear doors.

wrt. vibration, I'm going to try other dealers and also complain to BMW canada in the near future. do it one by one...as it takes a lot of time and I have kids to take care of
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #18
drivesmooth
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

I'm currently dealing with them on the creaking issue. the dealer has identified the noise from rear doors, and tried to apply a type of lubricant. but the noise came back after two days. Now, they are going to replace the seal strips on the rear doors.

wrt. vibration, I'm going to try other dealers and also complain to BMW canada in the near future. do it one by one...as it takes a lot of time and I have kids to take care of

I seems like not everyone is having vibration problem. I am going to take it to another dealer next week and see what happens. I am surprised they were able to prove me that it is a characteristic in all X3's. I will post the results next week.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 09:58 PM   #19
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Make sure all 4 tires are properly inflated. At least that they match side to side. I've been told that X-Drive is critical of tire diameter or it may compensate by brief single wheel braking causing the vibration issue. Sounds far fetched but it helped mine a lot.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #20
kwcbimmer
Canada
Rep

QUOTE=drivesmooth;15671623]I seems like not everyone is having vibration problem. I am going to take it to another dealer next week and see what happens. I am surprised they were able to prove me that it is a characteristic in all X3's. I will post the results next week.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the update. Please keep me posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
Make sure all 4 tires are properly inflated. At least that they match side to side. I've been told that X-Drive is critical of tire diameter or it may compensate by brief single wheel braking causing the vibration issue. Sounds far fetched but it helped mine a lot.
Good suggestion. I'll talk to my local dealer.

Yesterday's results on creaking noise repair: the dealer didn't replace the strips, as they found the lubricant previously applied had evaporated. So they applied CARBFLO, THIS TIME ON ALL FOUR DOORS. It looked greasy, and the dealer explained it would be absorbed. The noise has gone. It's the second day...keep my fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 01:37 PM   #21
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Yesterday's results on creaking noise repair: the dealer didn't replace the strips, as they found the lubricant previously applied had evaporated. So they applied CARBFLO, THIS TIME ON ALL FOUR DOORS. It looked greasy, and the dealer explained it would be absorbed. The noise has gone. It's the second day...keep my fingers crossed.
I remember reading about the creaking door problem and the lube repair, most of the time, the lube fix is only temp. If the remember right, the door need to be re-align.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #22
drivesmooth
Registered
Rep

took the care to another dealer; same result; characteristic of the vehicle!!!
given up all hopes and just use the sport mode for local driving

Quote:
QUOTE=drivesmooth;15671623]I seems like not everyone is having vibration problem. I am going to take it to another dealer next week and see what happens. I am surprised they were able to prove me that it is a characteristic in all X3's. I will post the results next week.
Thanks for the update. Please keep me posted.

Yesterday's results on creaking noise repair: the dealer didn't replace the strips, as they found the lubricant previously applied had evaporated. So they applied CARBFLO, THIS TIME ON ALL FOUR DOORS. It looked greasy, and the dealer explained it would be absorbed. The noise has gone. It's the second day...keep my fingers crossed.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0